The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m sure it has been mentioned before but I didn’t realise that Perry was played by the same actor who plays Tommy in the games.

Nice little cameo.

Get on the podcast it's great

Spoiler

They talked about originally wanting to rip him in half but despite the vfx looking good the anatomy of it didn't work so they changed it to his head

Also talked about vfx studios all wanting in on this because of the reputation of the game so they have they had their pick

• Like 1

Yeah the episode was short on action but not short on plot. Moved the story on a huge amount.

The interaction between Joel and Ellie when they were talking about going their separate ways was perfect.

• Like 1

The writers did such a good job at humanising the antagonists thus far in the series, that it's now presented a bit of a problem when they don't go to the same lengths for all the 'enemies' encountered. 

The role of the three bad guys who rock up and attack Joel and Ellie 'because they are bad' is a very video game-y thing to do, so when it happened here, it felt a bit...off.

I accept I may be jumping the gun, and exactly who they were and what they were doing may become apparent in the next episode. It's also true that for the arc of these characters, this attack must occur, and how else do you realistically do that? And do you have to humanise every 'bad guy' they encounter? Well of course not, that would probably be impossible.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it was just indicative of how good the writing has been thus far that when something of this manner occurred, I felt like it stood out like a sore thumb. Even with the wee references to 'raiders' made throughout the series, and that episode. 

I did love that the three guys looked just like enemy NPCs in the game, and as already pointed out the little bits of set up for Part 2 are great, and the Jackson set - that was just incredible.

On 21/02/2023 at 14:02, hogso said:

The writers did such a good job at humanising the antagonists thus far in the series, that it's now presented a bit of a problem when they don't go to the same lengths for all the 'enemies' encountered. 

The role of the three bad guys who rock up and attack Joel and Ellie 'because they are bad' is a very video game-y thing to do, so when it happened here, it felt a bit...off.

I accept I may be jumping the gun, and exactly who they were and what they were doing may become apparent in the next episode. It's also true that for the arc of these characters, this attack must occur, and how else do you realistically do that? And do you have to humanise every 'bad guy' they encounter? Well of course not, that would probably be impossible.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it was just indicative of how good the writing has been thus far that when something of this manner occurred, I felt like it stood out like a sore thumb. Even with the wee references to 'raiders' made throughout the series, and that episode. 

I did love that the three guys looked just like enemy NPCs in the game, and as already pointed out the little bits of set up for Part 2 are great, and the Jackson set - that was just incredible.

We don't need to know anything about the people that attacked them, just how it affects the protagonists; exactly the same as we don't need to know the background of every clicker.

It makes the world bigger and more unpredictable, like real life.

Spoiler

In saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of the group from the elle portion of the game, thus a big part of the plot 

47 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We don't need to know anything about the people that attacked them, just how it affects the protagonists; exactly the same as we don't need to know the background of every clicker.

It makes the world bigger and more unpredictable, like real life.

Hide contents

In saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of the group from the elle portion of the game, thus a big part of the plot 

Agree and disagree

They were computer game baddies being bad, something the show had done really well to avoid up until that point, they were probably the most rushed thing so far too

It was 50 minutes of something the show can do better than the game but then 10 mins where the game is better than the show

• Like 1

Â