The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

Well, I was on the fence with the first two episodes. I thought it was good, not great, but worth persevering with (unlike the walking dead which I thought was awful). I've never played the game, and I thought the opening episode especially was a bit weirdly paced and clearly very computer-gamery.

But episode 3... wow that was a brilliant episode. Really great.

Reminded me a bit of The Body, one of the very best Buffy episodes. You had one token "baddie" for a brief moment because that's what the show is ultimately about, but then the rest of the episode was just an emotional punch in the gut.

Offerman was incredible. Not that he ever isn't of course.

I hope the series has more innovative episodes that step to the side of the main story arc like that. I have high expectations now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thought it was ok nothing more nothing less

I appreciate it’s all a matter of taste and entirely subjective, but I genuinely don’t understand how it’s possible to watch that and, if nothing else, not be completely blown away by Nick Offerman’s performance. The episode for me was a work of art. It’s almost easier to accept someone hating it than it is to understand that someone can watch that and go ‘meh’. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JB said:

Might seem a bit of a weird comparison but that episode really brought to mind the opening scenes of Up.

I think that’s spot on, actually. And the opening scene from Up is, as it happens, the only thing on a screen that’s made me sob like Monday’s episode. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Zen said:

I appreciate it’s all a matter of taste and entirely subjective, but I genuinely don’t understand how it’s possible to watch that and, if nothing else, not be completely blown away by Nick Offerman’s performance. The episode for me was a work of art. It’s almost easier to accept someone hating it than it is to understand that someone can watch that and go ‘meh’. 

There is a difference between a actors performance and whether you think the episode itself was good!! Thats two seperate discussions and from what i can see no one has criticised the acting.

The episode was mainly focused on a love story two men im ok with that but im not into romance films or tv shows. The episode for me lacked much action and it was just ok. Boring in parts.

If you guys prefer a story built on two peoples connection thats totally fine but at same time i find it odd that because a few of us didnt think much of the episode and dont agree that there is something wrong with you. 

Its down to personal taste. On top of my head i can think of alot of better tv episodes  (breaking bad THAT gus scene or the red wedding in game of thrones) but thats PERSONAL taste of the person.

People dont have to like what everyone else does. For me it was ok nothing more. 1st episode was a lot more better than this in terms of enjoyment from a personal level.  🙂

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is a difference between a actors performance and whether you think the episode itself was good!! Thats two seperate discussions and from what i can see no one has criticised the acting.

The episode was mainly focused on a love story two men im ok with that but im not into romance films or tv shows. The episode for me lacked much action and it was just ok. Boring in parts.

If you guys prefer a story built on two peoples connection thats totally fine but at same time i find it odd that because a few of us didnt think much of the episode and dont agree that there is something wrong with you. 

Its down to personal taste. On top of my head i can think of alot of better tv episodes  (breaking bad THAT gus scene or the red wedding in game of thrones) but thats PERSONAL taste of the person.

People dont have to like what everyone else does. For me it was ok nothing more. 1st episode was a lot more better than this in terms of enjoyment from a personal level. 

Yeah, it’s all cool, Dem. I wasn’t criticisising your post, really, I was only using it to emphasise my own take on the episode. You do you, mate 😊

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yeah, it’s all cool, Dem. I wasn’t criticisising your post, really, I was only using it to emphasise my own take on the episode. You do you, mate 😊

All good brother wasnt criticising you either just pointing my position and personal tastes =D

• Like 1

You played the game dem?

Because the love story and the connections is kind of what it's about, im expecting them to double down on it, maybe not another full on episode like that one but in terms of it being based around 2 people on screen and not a ton of action

It’s worth noting that the IMDB rating dropped from 9.6 to 9.3 following Mondays episode. 

It’s sad that some folks will watch that and not be able to move past the fact that it’s two guys, two bearded, otherwise ‘manly’ guys too (ie they look like regular guys, not Liberace meets Bruno). I wonder if it had been a man and woman if there’d have been the same drop in IMDB ratings.

The music was a superb choice too, it was the same piece used in Arrival (Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner), it’s called ‘On the Nature of Daylight’ and is very emotive.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I hope the series has more innovative episodes that step to the side of the main story arc like that. I have high expectations now

There is certainly at least one episode that will deal with Ellie's back story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You played the game dem?

Because the love story and the connections is kind of what it's about, im expecting them to double down on it, maybe not another full on episode like that one but in terms of it being based around 2 people on screen and not a ton of action

Thats probably why im not as invested as others as i havent really played much of the game

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Thats probably why im not as invested as others as i havent really played much of the game

I don't think that's what v4e meant. He meant that if you know the game then you know that the story is about far more than killing zombies. He didn't mean that you need to have seen the game to be invested

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I'm not sure you necessarily have to play the game to enjoy it but like stevo said you'd probably get a better appreciation for what it is and maybe more importantly what it isnt

They've shown the clicker which was great, the trailers show a boater but in all seriousness they could probably go from here on out without showing any more infected

Spoiler

It should now turn towards the raiders and go a bit like The Road which is interesting for me because I want to see what they do with the violence, how they balance it between action scenes or just scenes of uncomfortable violence

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't think that's what v4e meant. He meant that if you know the game then you know that the story is about far more than killing zombies. He didn't mean that you need to have seen the game to be invested

To be honest to your point above about walking dead, i dont want another walking dead. That show ran on too long. Im more invested in the two main charchters and their journey.  But i think this episode was people who prefer slow burners and invested in the story to the game.

I just didnt find it that interesting this episode 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

To be honest to your point above about walking dead, i dont want another walking dead. That show ran on too long. Im more invested in the two main charchters and their journey.  But i think this episode was people who prefer slow burners and invested in the story to the game.

I just didnt find it that interesting this episode 

Apart from the existence of Bill, none of what happened in that episode was in the game

• Like 1

Â