The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

I'm also looking forward to the next episode

Spoiler

Joel and Ellie do a lot of bonding in that truck, with some really funny moments in the game, so I'm hoping they recreate that well

I think ep 3 might be the best single episode of any TV show I have ever watched. Recency bias play into it, but f*** me that was superb. 

How they’ve solved the Bill chapter from the game was something I could never have imagined, and by jaysus it made the story a million times better. 

What can you say about Nick Offerman’s performance to do it justice? I mean, the guy is already a hero of mine, but that was next level. I can’t remember a more moving performance by any actor. Ever. I’m sure there has been, but I can’t think of any right now. 

The whole of the ‘last day’ scene had me not just fighting the tears, it had my sobbing like a child. 

This show. This f***ing show.

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 3

The surprise for me was that playing the game I just kind of automatically assumed Frank and Bob's relationship was broke back-esque, as in they'd just spent years together lonely and it had developed rather than them being homosexual from the off

Still think everything they've done in terms of expanding the story has absolutely nailed it, its so complimentary to the game and logical that it all fits perfectly

• Like 1

Watch the first 2 episodes yesterday (without spoilers but having played the games) as wanted to get a couple of episodes in. They were excellent, excellent TV and a wonderful interpretation of the game with Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pascal sublime in their respective roles. 

And now I've just watched episode 3. Wow. What an episode. Completely forgot you were watching a zombie apocalypse show. 

• Like 1

If I have a criticism of the series so far, and it's a super super minor one, I think Ellie isn't quite there yet. Its a really difficult role in a couple of ways, firstly as a role a player of the games has known for 30, 40 hours an alternative take is going to be odd regardless. And secondly Ellie in the first game, particularly early on, is a teen playing a role - she puts on a front, the swearing and aggression, she's playing a character of herself. In the show I don't quite feel that somehow, it feels like a character being played from whole cloth rather someone playing a heightened version of themselves, for want of a better way of putting it.

But that really is nit picking and I do think as the series has progressed it's gotten better.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

If I have a criticism of the series so far, and it's a super super minor one, I think Ellie isn't quite there yet. Its a really difficult role in a couple of ways, firstly as a role a player of the games has known for 30, 40 hours an alternative take is going to be odd regardless. And secondly Ellie in the first game, particularly early on, is a teen playing a role - she puts on a front, the swearing and aggression, she's playing a character of herself. In the show I don't quite feel that somehow, it feels like a character being played from whole cloth rather someone playing a heightened version of themselves, for want of a better way of putting it.

But that really is nit picking and I do think as the series has progressed it's gotten better.

The podcast threw out something that I'd never really thought of in the game in that she admires and wants Joel's toughness even if she doesn't like him and I saw that in episode 3

I think they are capturing that, like you say she's putting on a front and trying to be tough whilst the same time she's constantly asking Joel questions about where he's been and what he's done

Maybe it's because I've spent more recent time with Ellie at the end of the game and in number 2 and to me she's not vulnerable and fairly useless whereas in this at the moment she kind of is

Also from the podcast what Pedro Pascal is doing with his facial expressions and body language is properly superb, he's as much about what he doesn't say as what he does, for as great as Bill and Frank* were the scene where Ellie is reading the letter and it's a bit cheesy cos he's saying take care of her and it foreshadows Joels upcoming journey with Ellie but then it flips it of course its Tess that was really well done

* the actor is very good in white lotus too, seems relatively new but in recent weeks I've seen 2 very high performances from him

That episode was a masterpiece. Hit all the right emotional buttons and a really great way to go off script from the game to build out the world.

Of course it’s made even better in my eyes by upsetting a few people online. We’ve got to see more stories told like that.

• Like 2

Â