The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not sure you necessarily have to play the game to enjoy it but like stevo said you'd probably get a better appreciation for what it is and maybe more importantly what it isnt

They've shown the clicker which was great, the trailers show a boater but in all seriousness they could probably go from here on out without showing any more infected

Hide contents

It should now turn towards the raiders and go a bit like The Road which is interesting for me because I want to see what they do with the violence, how they balance it between action scenes or just scenes of uncomfortable violence

They still need the infected, but less is more. If everyone is constantly being chased by hoards of infected then they completely lose their impact.
We've already seen from the encounter with the two clickers in the museum that they are being portrayed as things that are very **** hard to kill. In the game two clickers would be dispatched of in seconds. But that's because in the game you'll gace dozens and dozens of them.

In the show they have the benefit of being able to build up the tension without showing too much of the infected.

The less you see them, the more impactful it is when you finally do

I've been spending a bit of time on various sites and social media this morning to get an idea of the general reaction to the latest episode.

It's been rather lovely to see all the positivity and praise for the way the story was written and acted. I'd feared there would be more of a backlash due to the nature of the content so it's gratifying to read only a minority of complaints about 'oH nOt gAaayZ AgAin!'.

I'm sure if I dug further I could find more venom but from what I've seen it's definitely a win for the more enlightened and unprejudiced.

• Like 3

I'd agree that it is refreshing that the majority reaction has been very positive. Its a shame it's not completely positive and some (a lot I suspect when you get down to it) of it is coming from a place of 'distaste' for a gay side story. The common dissenting voices I saw were along the lines of outright homophobia ('oh no they's gay, beards kissing eww!' shit. I saw one reactor literally walk off camera like they couldn't even cope with being near the idea of a gay love scene), to whinging that the show isn't following the events of Bill's plot in the game (allegedly because the action and the interaction between Ellie and Bill on that section are highlights for some players), to knowing sneering that the episode is a waste of time custom made to sell to the woke media luvvies while abandoning the actual story.

Thankfully they are a minority but ****, how are we still at the point that the reaction to a really brilliantly done love story that fills out a world is either driving people to disgust, whinging it's not about the explosions and banter, or is forced politics to achieve...?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

whinging that the show isn't following the events of Bill's plot in the game (allegedly because the action and the interaction between Ellie and Bill on that section are highlights for some players

I can see that, bills town is one of the best bits of the game, the first part of the game where the action ramps up and from memory has the first part of the game where you cant stealth it and the first boss so it's impossible not to associate it with action

But as I said before that doesn't translate very well to TV

I also think that what is good in bills town is the interaction between Bill and Ellie, they hate each other and he slaps her down, a lot, but after 2 hours Ellie as a character isnt there yet and I don't think it would work, they could maybe have done some more fun stuff with traps as some mindless action but it would be filler

I'm also not sure they had the time to build up the relationship between Bill and Frank and then break it up within that time frame and it still work, the first time jump where it's something like 3 years later and they're arguing about Frank wanting to paint the street because he doesn't just want to survive he wants to live it does the whole thing better than the game did

stand by the comment before the TV show does something the game can't do and the game does something the TV can't do and they're both brilliant, I'll end up playing the game again this year and I'd expect out of all of it it's bills town with the added context that will interest me the most, they've elevated a minor story conveyed by throw away comments and notes to something of real significance, for context to those who haven't played the game I don't think Bill and Frank's story is even a cutscene in the game its just something thats kind of there

Game spoiler from memory

Spoiler

Bill and Frank have had a fight over Frank wanting more from life, Frank goes to live in another half of the town, the military have rolled through recently and infected are now in the town (the town is a lot bigger) Joel, Ellie and Bill go to the other half of town to get a car battery from one of the military vehicles, its a fetch quest with bill joining your party for an hour, bill talks about Frank as you're walking around but it only kind of intimates that they're in love and a relationship rather than being the couple they are on TV, Frank gets bit, you find Frank's body in an empty house as you're looking around, he's hung himself and left bill a suicide note, bill helps Joel and Ellie with the battery and a truck and then you leave him, he's a badass who wants to kill Ellie and spends a lot of time arguing with her and them pair telling each other to **** off

You never actually meet Frank, he's not a character in the game, you just find his dead body and read his notes

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Minimal story?!

Yep - the main story arc - they began the episode walking and now they have a car. Just not interested in a 70 minute mini feature film about a relationship between two hairy guys played by actors with zero chemistry. Yawn! 

• Haha 2

here is one the first video I've came across that really slates this controversial episode

Now I'm guessing that most people on here won't be big fans of Sydney Watson but I watch a fair few of her videos.

I haven't seen any of The Last of Us series yet, I'm waiting on a few more episodes to be released so that I can binge watch it, I also want to play through the game (again) before I start it.

I've watched this video though and without actually watching the episode I am pretty sure that I will disagree with her on this one, although (again without seeing the episode) I would have liked to have seen the interactions between Ellie and Bill though, its a bit shit that they have been left out.

Her opinion of the last of us 2 taints her opinion on anything else

Brilliant game, critics of that story seem to be homophobic at worst and bitchy that it's not what they want it to be at best

Edit - watched her video... Yeah she's skirting around and politely trying to disguise her prejudices, she's got 2 main problems after that, firstly she doesn't understand the significance in the 2 different media's, Frank isn't going to show Joel how to make a nail bomb in the TV show, the upside down shooting bit is brilliant, does she thinks that translates to TV beyond fan service? Secondly I don't think she understands what she's watching, where she says how Ellie watched Joel beat a man to death was weird, that's not weird that's a portrayal of admiration and a want to be that hard or tough which the actress portrayed because she's actually well cast and very good, the scene where she cut the stalker trapped in the rubble etc it's building Ellie, she's not tuned in to the world and a stone cold killer like Joel, no doubt in future episodes when Ellie has been developed and had an actual arc this woman will moan again, the nuances and little touches in this show are completely lost on her... But then again seemingly so is the big in your face love in the time of adversity main theme so that's to be expected

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Her opinion of the last of us 2 taints her opinion on anything else

Brilliant game, critics of that story seem to be homophobic at worst and bitchy that it's not what they want it to be at best

Just today I have started my 3rd playthrough of LOU but I've never felt any inclination at all to play LOU 2, I dunno, I enjoyed the first one so much I just didn't feel the need to play the 2nd and especially when all the negative reviews came out it just cemented the fact that I wouldn't bother with it.

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Just today I have started my 3rd playthrough of LOU but I've never felt any inclination at all to play LOU 2, I dunno, I enjoyed the first one so much I just didn't feel the need to play the 2nd and especially when all the negative reviews came out it just cemented the fact that I wouldn't bother with it.

The negativity surrounding 2 was really down to people losing their shit because it makes incredibly bold decisions that they didn't want, they wanted the game to go in a different direction, Naughty Dog properly but their cock on the chopping block...

And they did it, the story isn't as good IMO (I'm sure stevo said he prefers it so that's still up for debate) but it makes up for it with some new gameplay elements and tweaks that improve the weakest part of number 1, it's a stone cold 10/10 game

But unfortunately for ND they also decided to double down on homosexuality in the game and a lot of people (mostly Americans from what I've seen) complain about one element of the story as a way of masking their displeasure over that element

The game really takes the industry a step forward in a lot of ways with what it does and how it does it

But again long story short, they do something that people didn't want which people got offended by in a weird fan ownership kind of way and I think that loops back to me saying this woman on YouTube has a very different opinion as to what the last of us is all about than the creator Neil Druckmann seemingly has from me playing the game, watching the show and listening to him on the podcast

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I feel like you need to be a fan of the computer game to really be a fan of the show. Otherwise it’s feels a bit like a standard zombie flick. 

Thats how i feel. Its been abit meh for me

7 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And they did it, the story isn't as good IMO (I'm sure stevo said he prefers it so that's still up for debate)

Possibly the best story of any game ever for me.  It hits deep and conflicts the player like no game I've ever played.

Â