Jota Peleteiro
Borja Bastón
José Crespo
Adama Traoré
Carles Gil
Antonio Luna
Carlos Cuéllar
Mamadou Sylla

Crespo the best of a bad bunch on the basis he won a league after leaving and well joined in a toxic time

Rest are mainly garbage

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I have no idea what he’s like but I just feel this signing yet again proves how awful we are in the market. 

Signing a 29 year old LB for 15m to replace the 29 year old LB we signed for 25m one year ago. 

We really are a shambles. I hope he’s good but my feeling isn’t overly positive towards this I’ll be honest. 

29 isn't that old for a defender. It's a decent price tag and Emery likes him and Digne needs competition. 

We can always sell Digne this summer and splurge on an elite, younger LB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Crespo the best of a bad bunch on the basis he won a league after leaving and well joined in a toxic time

Rest are mainly garbage

Cuellar was the best for us from that list followed by Reina.

We're nearly as cursed with Spaniards as we are with Frenchies though it seems.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

29 isn't that old for a defender. It's a decent price tag and Emery likes him and Digne needs competition. 

How? His career has gone backwards and he is on massive wages. Its' what we do.

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Cuellar was the best for us from that list followed by Reina.

We're nearly as cursed with Spaniards as we are with Frenchies though it seems.

I still think Cuellar ia among our worst signings ever. 8 million was a lot back then for a guy with no technique or speed

The throw ins still piss me off. MON tried to copy Delap with the long throw and this was his best solution 😂

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

How? His career has gone backwards and he is on massive wages. Its' what we do.

Well, we end up taking a hit on Digne, but we clearly him off the books. 

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I just can’t get particularly excited by this. Seems like we have no luck with signing “older” players of late 

Means we should never have to see Augustinsson play again - that's surely a good thing?

12 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I just can’t get particularly excited by this. Seems like we have no luck with signing “older” players of late 

I would say re-signing Ashley Young has worked out well. Coutinho started well but fizzled out massively.

Historically there have been some great older signings. McGrath, Merson, Keane (loan) Carew and Dublin spring to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

According to Transfermarkt

Pepe Reina
Jota Peleteiro
Borja Bastón
José Crespo
Adama Traoré
Carles Gil
Antonio Luna
Carlos Cuéllar
Mamadou Sylla

They are such a good footballing nation we could have picked 9 random people from Spain and I'd be confident of getting someone better than this.

• Haha 1

This seems to be the view of Betis fans.

“It's a shame how little by little the League is losing national talent to the English market. A club that is not even in the top ten takes one of the best Spanish left-backs out there right now, soon Spain will have a league similar to France's.”

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

29 may not be that old for a central defender, but for a full back with pace as main strength it’s quite old.

The main thing is players become even more difficult to shift after 29/30, more so if they’re on PL wages.

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

29 may not be that old for a central defender, but for a full back with pace as main strength it’s quite old.

The main thing is players become even more difficult to shift after 29/30, more so if they’re on PL wages.

Tell that to Ashley Young. 

Â