Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

What I said may very well be porkies as I don't speak a word of Spanish! (I used google translate)

No idea if he is better but it seems he is more like a little Spanish winger with pace and dribbling skills who plays left back rather than someone who likes to whip crosses in like Digne.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

You can use stats to prove anything. Digne has been average this season and I think it’s testament to his average-ness that the first thing the new manager wants to do is to buy a new left back. 

He’s a very tidy footballer. Technically he’s also very good. He just doesn’t have the pace to be a top fullback. He can’t beat a man and he can’t really dribble with the ball either. He holds us back from an attacking sense and I think teams will start attacking us down that left hand side because they know he’s slow. 

We gave him a daft contract and we’ll pay the price for that. There’s no way we can afford to have players on £160k a week that aren’t first choice. One day maybe, but now now! 

Digne really isn't that tidy of a player. He has a good amount of very sloppy touches.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

According to FBref he is 

Lucas Digne Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

I think what's clear to all of us and born out in stats too. Digne isn't a pacey full back, he also never dribbles with the ball at all. He doesn't make a lot of tackles. He's a very good passer of the ball and he creates a lot of chances.

Moreno is a different type of player. He's very fast, dribbles all the time, tries to get in to score goals himself but he's not a good passer of the ball, not progressive passing and doesn't make shot creating actions. He's more a winger playing in FB

Álex Moreno Scouting Report for Last 365 Days Men's Big 5 Leagues, UCL, UEL | FBref.com

I see different players with different qualities for different situations and opponents.

Augustinsson is similar to Digne but not as good. I think he was brought in so we could have a similar replacement for Digne if he got injured as Gerrard wanted the same style of play. 

You're not looking back at a year's worth of stats to assess a  player we see every week are you? That would be the actions of a right silly billy.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You're not looking back at a year's worth of stats to assess a  player we see every week are you? That would be the actions of a right silly billy.

If we could rely on individual people 5 pints deep who go to home games why do we need scouting department 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, blandy said:

Agreed. The club and Lange will surely be scouting and watching and compiling a huge list of players and their progress and positions and potential availability and cost against identified areas for improvement or strengthening in the future, short and longer term. But when a manager arrives, I guess they’ll talk and he will say “I know [this player] he played for me, or against me and he’s really good at this thing and that thing, and he would fit in with the plan we agreed when I was appointed…” and he’ll go on the list, and others might get taken off “I know him from…and he was trouble…” or whatever.  So the watch list will get revised as circumstances change and managers change. Digne and Couthinho were clearly Gerrard influenced signings, and we’ll get Unai Emery influenced ones next window.

That is exactly how it works, and rightly so. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we could rely on individual people 5 pints deep who go to home games why do we need scouting department 

Are you suggesting all Villa fans are alcoholics? Or we know nothing about football compared to magic stats

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you think he’s coming in to play LB?

Presume so. Feels like Emery has brought Digne off early a bit. Maybe he's not too happy with him?

The age Moreno is, I just can't see him as a signing who isn't going to start.

It might be as one of the wide midfielders. There's two spots there up for grabs if anyone can make it their own.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you think he’s coming in to play LB?

i think he will come in to both:

1) Challenge Digne at Left Back.

2) Challenge for Left Midfield.

I think he could, and will do both depending on how Emery wants to set up for a game.

There is a vid out there detailing Emery's tactics, and this guy fits it like a glove, a progressive/technical left back with pace who can bomb up and down, or as a left midfielder who helps cover for the left back from left midfield, or tucks in slightly to offer defensive solidity while other player go forward.

edit: watch this if you have time, it details how Emery used the left side positions at Villarreal, i think it quickly becomes clear exactly how Moreno could fit in at left back or left midfield in this system.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Personally I see him as a LB with Ramsey playing in front. That’s one hell of an athletic flank with really good ball carrying ability. 

yeah, will be interesting to see how Emery uses him if he does sign, especially if we do sign a right wide player, or a left wide player so Ramsey is on the right.

Either way, will be interesting.

It is good though to kind of see what Emery is trying to do, its clear Moreno suits Emery's style to a tee, and hopefully other signings will too, and we can clearly see how we will likely set up.

Maybe Moreno at left back, new left winger/wide player, with Cash/Ramsey on the right, or something.

Exciting times.....to trust a manager signing players lol.

who knows.....maybe Ramsey will be the shadow striker/advanced midfielder and have Bailey/Buendia/new wide player competing for the two wide spots?

Edited by MaVilla

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but that particular twitter account was denounced as fake about a year ago. ;) 

Still.... Hope we sign him!

56 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think he will come in to both:

1) Challenge Digne at Left Back.

2) Challenge for Left Midfield.

I think he could, and will do both depending on how Emery wants to set up for a game.

There is a vid out there detailing Emery's tactics, and this guy fits it like a glove, a progressive/technical left back with pace who can bomb up and down, or as a left midfielder who helps cover for the left back from left midfield, or tucks in slightly to offer defensive solidity while other player go forward.

edit: watch this if you have time, it details how Emery used the left side positions at Villarreal, i think it quickly becomes clear exactly how Moreno could fit in at left back or left midfield in this system.

The part showing how different Villarreal played in Europe under Emery is interesting, people perceive him to be a negative manager but he’s anything but that as we’ve seen with exciting positive football so far in to his villa career, it was a matter of must in the europa league and champions league because on paper his side had no business challenging for trophies let alone winning them.

Â