Oasis: This is their thread

useless

On 12/12/2022 at 20:13, Genie said:

I’ve never really understood the “Beatles tribute band” stuff, they were absolutely nothing like the Beatles.

Noel's latest on The Beatles. He still loves them. 

"People do say, 'Why were they the best?' Noel pondered. "It's because they had the best words, the best parts, they played the best parts, they wore the best clothes, they had the best sense of humour… they were the best. They are the one band from that era, I mean there's a few, but those songs have never been bettered. Those albums… they will never be beaten."

Noel's explained how his admiration for McCartney goes beyond his achievements as a songwriter.

"He's a lovely, lovely guy," he added. "He's an astonishing musician, he's got great stories, he's got a brilliant sense of humour and when you're hanging out with him you can get on a level with him because he's just a scouser in a band and you're a Manc in a band. It's only about three weeks later when you think, 'That's one of the Beatles – that's one of the Beatles!' He's a dude and I've shared the stage with him a few times. I love him dearly." 

MusicRadar

The sounding like the beatles thing, no they didnt sound like lovable mop tops, but in the same way Tears for Fears turgid slab of dogshit, Sowing the seeds of love doesnt sound like a specific beatles song, it is without question heavily influenced by them. Oasis, because they were fans, allowed the beatles influence to be strong, be that in their imagery, their videos or in their music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

The sounding like the beatles thing, no they didnt sound like lovable mop tops, but in the same way Tears for Fears turgid slab of dogshit, Sowing the seeds of love doesnt sound like a specific beatles song, it is without question heavily influenced by them. Oasis, because they were fans, allowed the beatles influence to be strong, be that in their imagery, their videos or in their music. 

I think part of it is that I don't think any of the original band had any real musical training, certainly Noel didn't.  He just learnt to play his favourite bands' stuff in his bedroom to avoid getting belted by his Dad and had a natural ability to write a chorus.  The later members like Alan White and Andy Bell are really talented musicians but it didn't quite sound the same.  Andy Bell clearly can still write decent stuff with Ride but was such a big Oasis fan he dumbed it down a bit with his songs to fit in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think part of it is that I don't think any of the original band had any real musical training, certainly Noel didn't.  He just learnt to play his favourite bands' stuff in his bedroom to avoid getting belted by his Dad and had a natural ability to write a chorus.  The later members like Alan White and Andy Bell are really talented musicians but it didn't quite sound the same.  Andy Bell clearly can still write decent stuff with Ride but was such a big Oasis fan he dumbed it down a bit with his songs to fit in.

I would agree with that completely. When I learned to play guitar, I say learned, I was emulating billy bragg who I liked at the time, it’s stayed with me and my style is without question heavily influenced by him. When you learn you want to sound like the people you are fans of. 

• Like 2

"People do say, 'Why were they the best?' Noel pondered. "It's because they had the best words, the best parts, they played the best parts, they wore the best clothes, they had the best sense of humour… they were the best. They are the one band from that era, I mean there's a few, but those songs have never been bettered. Those albums… they will never be beaten."

Noel's explained how his admiration for McCartney goes beyond his achievements as a songwriter.

"He's a lovely, lovely guy," he added. "He's an astonishing musician, he's got great stories, he's got a brilliant sense of humour and when you're hanging out with him you can get on a level with him because he's just a scouser in a band and you're a Manc in a band. It's only about three weeks later when you think, 'That's one of the Beatles – that's one of the Beatles!' He's a dude and I've shared the stage with him a few times. I love him dearly." 

This had me thinking of Mel Brooks and his Cary Grant story.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

If I had to think of music an oasis fan would like, that box set captures it all. A few outliers but on the whole, it knows it’s market. 

Yeah I had a look at it to see if there was anything to look up on Spotify but bar a sleeper song I know already know that album like the back of my hand

Don't listen to the majority of it anymore mind

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I had a look at it to see if there was anything to look up on Spotify but bar a sleeper song I know already know that album like the back of my hand

Don't listen to the majority of it anymore mind

Exactly, its of a time and not necessarily, now.

• 1 month later...

Tonight 10:30 on Channel 5

HXEYwqQ.jpg

1   Go Let It Out 6:21
2   Columbia 4:55
3   Morning Glory 4:52
4   Acquiesce 3:46
5   Supersonic 4:29
6   Fade Away 4:18
7   Half The World Away 4:08
8   Whatever / Octopus's Garden 5:03
9   The Masterplan 5:36
10   Slide Away 5:30
11   She's Electric 3:54
12   Champagne Supernova 7:03
13   Rock 'N' Roll Star 5:27
14   Don't Look Back In Anger 4:48
15   I Am The Walrus 6:03
16   Roll With It 3:43
  • Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 19:29, tinker said:

Well Damon Albarn lost the battle but won the war, decades of cutting edge music while the Oasis lot just churned out the same old melodies year after year. 

He has to go down as one of the greats this country has produced now. 

On 13/12/2022 at 09:46, OutByEaster? said:

Oasis (and Blur and Britpop generally) was that energy being packaged up and sold back to us by clever men who now live in big houses - a shame really.

Are said houses, ahem, in the country?

• Haha 3

Â