Oasis: This is their thread

useless

49 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

More of a musing about tribute acts in general, but prompted by the above.

Is it just generally accepted practice that “look, we’ll make an effort to get the singer to look a bit like Liam…” and the rest don’t really matter?I

shall report back in a few weeks after in depth research…

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Is it just generally accepted practice that “look, we’ll make an effort to get the singer to look a bit like Liam…” and the rest don’t really matter?

I saw an Oasis/Stone Roses tribute act years ago. Same band. Roses first half, Oasis second half. Again, “Liam” is a fair approximation. But everyone else is really just a group of blokes.

“Noel” makes a tiny bit of effort, and he does take the lead vocals on “don’t look back in anger”. But what if the “Noel” can’t sing at all and actually the bloke on bass is a much better singer? Is it just a case if we gotta have “Noel” on vocals because he’s the guitarist and it would be weird if the fella on bass who looks nothing like either Guigsy or Andy Bell takes lead vocals?

Edit - I know the answer here is that it’s Don’t look back in Anger and everyone is drunk and singing it anyway, so it doesn’t matter. But humour me.

Yeah I went to see Talon at the Garrick, "the premier Eagles tribute act".

In fairness they were very good, but none of them looked like The eagles.

In fact the lead guitarist who was doing Joe Walsh's stuff looked like Tom Ross 🫣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Is it just generally accepted practice that “look, we’ll make an effort to get the singer to look a bit like Liam…” and the rest don’t really matter?

I saw an Oasis/Stone Roses tribute act years ago. Same band. Roses first half, Oasis second half. Again, “Liam” is a fair approximation. But everyone else is really just a group of blokes.

“Noel” makes a tiny bit of effort, and he does take the lead vocals on “don’t look back in anger”. But what if the “Noel” can’t sing at all and actually the bloke on bass is a much better singer? Is it just a case if we gotta have “Noel” on vocals because he’s the guitarist and it would be weird if the fella on bass who looks nothing like either Guigsy or Andy Bell takes lead vocals?

Edit - I know the answer here is that it’s Don’t look back in Anger and everyone is drunk and singing it anyway, so it doesn’t matter. But humour me.

River Rooms in Stourbridge? Seen them a couple of times

They're alright, like you say everyone's pissed and no one cares

Seen an OK smiths band and a poor kings of Leon band in there too, smiths were the same, no one cared (but it brought out the milfs....) the guns n roses one is meant to be great but they're not my thing

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

River Rooms in Stourbridge? Seen them a couple of times

They're alright, like you say everyone's pissed and no one cares

Seen an OK smiths band and a poor kings of Leon band in there too, smiths were the same, no one cared (but it brought out the milfs....) the guns n roses one is meant to be great but they're not my thing

Yeah that looks to be them. Saw them in Sedgley, I think. 

It’s funny, I really like seeing a pub band that does covers but I’m never too bothered about seeing a covers band that focuses on a sole act (or two acts in the case of that oasis/stone roses band).

Not sure why that is. Maybe it’s variety.  

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that looks to be them. Saw them in Sedgley, I think. 

It’s funny, I really like seeing a pub band that does covers but I’m never too bothered about seeing a covers band that focuses on a sole act (or two acts in the case of that oasis/stone roses band).

Not sure why that is. Maybe it’s variety.  

Definitely Maybe

• Haha 1

got tickets for noel gallagher in bournemouth the other day. random one off gig at the o2 (2k capacity) about a 5 min walk from my front door. sold out in less than a minute so absolutely buzzing. never seen oasis or either of their other bands

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

saw noel gallagher's HFB last night in bournemouth. for someone that's never seen oasis for various reasons, definite top 10 and possibly top 5 gig for me. to see him in such a small venue really was a privelage

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

saw noel gallagher's HFB last night in bournemouth. for someone that's never seen oasis for various reasons, definite top 10 and possibly top 5 gig for me. to see him in such a small venue really was a privelage

Looking at the set, it was 50% Oasis tunes as well so definitely giving people what they want.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I’ve seen some clips of a gig on the beach down there, he looked on good form. A lot of the time he looks pretty miserable which makes me wonder why he bothers.

Just now, Seat68 said:

Looking at the set, it was 50% Oasis tunes as well so definitely giving people what they want.

He’s well aware people are there to see the Oasis tunes. He even said during his set at Glastonbury he was doing a few more of the songs he likes doing (solo) and then some that would make everyone in the bucket hats happy.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

yeah...as good as the HFB stuff is, does he headline festivals  if he doesn't play any oasis? possibly not

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve seen some clips of a gig on the beach down there, he looked on good form. A lot of the time he looks pretty miserable which makes me wonder why he bothers.

I was at the Brighton beach gig on Sunday and it was great.  Shitloads of people were stood on the promenade watching it for free, the bastards.  From memory there were only 6 or 7 Oasis songs played and the new stuff went down well.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 20:15, rjw63 said:

Yeah I went to see Talon at the Garrick, "the premier Eagles tribute act".

In fairness they were very good, but none of them looked like The eagles.

In fact the lead guitarist who was doing Joe Walsh's stuff looked like Tom Ross 🫣

Was he wearing a Bronx hat

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Liam Gallagher announces tour playing Definitely Maybe in entirety

Liam Gallagher has said the chance to tour "the most important album of the '90s" in its entirety has left him "bouncing around the house".

The ex-Oasis singer has announced a series of shows in 2024 which will see him perform the whole of his former band's debut Definitely Maybe.

------------------

"The sets will, of course, be packed with classics [such as] Rock 'n' Roll Star, Live Forever, Supersonic and 'Cigarettes & Alcohol, to name but a few," they said.

"But it will also be a rare opportunity to see other album tracks that have rarely, if ever, been performed since the mid-'90s, including Up In The Sky and Digsy's Dinner."

They added that the shows would also see Gallagher perform other Oasis songs from the period, including a number of B-sides.

"There are numerous fan favourites that could be performed from the other songs that were released during the Definitely Maybe era, which could potentially include another big hit in the shape of Whatever, as well as deep cuts such as Fade Away, Listen Up and Sad Song,"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67121295

• Like 1

Â