Oasis: This is their thread

useless

Never got the appeal of Let’s All Make Believe either. I know it’s a bit of fan favourite, just does nothing for me.

I think Idler’s Dream from the next album’s b sides is a much better candidate in the “ah that should have made the album” discussion.

Probably fairly telling that the only b side from SOTSOG I think is noteworthy is One Way Road and that’s due to Weller’s upbeat version being used as the theme music to Lead Balloon.

Full On is a bit of a banger as a b-side.  I've always wanted to go into Subway and sing 'it's gotta be foot-looooong' to the sandwich artist but probably about 12 people in the whole of England would get the joke.  I do really like the album but like the second half of Oasis's career Noel's choice of tracklist was wank.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Full On is a bit of a banger as a b-side.  I've always wanted to go into Subway and sing 'it's gotta be foot-looooong' to the sandwich artist but probably about 12 people in the whole of England would get the joke.  I do really like the album but like the second half of Oasis's career Noel's choice of tracklist was wank.

Noel letting other people write songs seems to be a big factor in the later albums getting weaker imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I don’t really get excited anymore, in fact a little bit depressed. 

I saw something a couple of weeks ago saying Noel is going back into the studio in January to record a new album and my first thought was for him to give it up now.

The Liam Gallagher / Richard Ashcroft collaboration was crap.

Was that when they re-recorded one of Ashcroft's solo songs? Or did they do something else together?

As for the LG/JS collobaration, it's something I've been hoping for for years. Considering how good he is and how long he's been around, John Squire has not recorded enough music, I get excited about everything he's involved with! Even when the new Stone Roses songs were a let down I still loved his playing on them.

I didn't like the one previous, but I quite liked several songs from Noel's last album. Some of those songs we're calling for Liam's voice though. I find Noel's voice get's boring when he's singing the whole album. Liam's last album wasn't great but I enjoyed the first two for the most part.

Edited by Billson
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

Noel letting other people write songs seems to be a big factor in the later albums getting weaker imo.

Kind of proves that democracy doesn't really work in bands.  Even so I think you could make a very good best-of from their 00s stuff, not as good as the 90s obviously but there is a bit more variety of songs than they are given credit for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Genie said:

100%. Democracy doesn't work.

Noel could write a tune. I can't think of many non Noel songs that i'd put in my top 30 Oasis songs. Maybe 'I'm Outta Time"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Let’s all make believe what a song that is 

The final Liam version is good, but I also like Noel demo

• Like 1

In fairness I think most best of lists would predominantly feature songs recorded either in 1994 or 1995.

I think there was a bit of keeping little brother content with a song writing credit or three but I distinctly remember him saying he struggled to write 18 songs every 2/3 years (album + b sides), so let the others take a bit of the responsibility. 

If getting Andy to write “Keep the Dream Alive” meant Noel had more time to get “The Importance of Being Idle” bang on, I’m ok with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

In fairness I think most best of lists would predominantly feature songs recorded either in 1994 or 1995.

I think there was a bit of keeping little brother content with a song writing credit or three but I distinctly remember him saying he struggled to write 18 songs every 2/3 years (album + b sides), so let the others take a bit of the responsibility. 

If getting Andy to write “Keep the Dream Alive” meant Noel had more time to get “The Importance of Being Idle” bang on, I’m ok with it.

Yeah, he wrote all the bangers early on. You could say he wasted some of them as 'B' sides, but the B-side stuff is something that makes Oasis what they are. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Genie said:

i think the bar of the first two albums (and the masterplan) being so high is the big factor

couldnt keep it up

my plan is to work my through the vinyl and revisit them all, im more of a playlist listener now and even then i dont listen to oasis that much as its so ingrained on me, expecting it to get tougher over the next couple , i went to the tours for DBTT and HC but dont have fond memories of them but i do remember DOYS being better if not good

1 hour ago, Xela said:

100%. Democracy doesn't work.

Noel could write a tune. I can't think of many non Noel songs that i'd put in my top 30 Oasis songs. Maybe 'I'm Outta Time"

like i said at the time but definitely not now i was properly in to sunday morning call

ive got fond memories from school of half the world away - when we got rowdy in german class, which was often because it was german...my teacher used to play it on guitar and then like one of the lads starting singing along and it was cool as ****

if you catch me right id have masterplan as the best oasis song

talk tonight

part of the queue as one of their most underrated 

falling down

not having them in your top 30 is testament to how many good songs they've got - but seriously no **** masterplan??!!!

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

like i said at the time but definitely not now i was properly in to sunday morning call

ive got fond memories from school of half the world away - when we got rowdy in german class, which was often because it was german...my teacher used to play it on guitar and then like one of the lads starting singing along and it was cool as ****

if you catch me right id have masterplan as the best oasis song

talk tonight

part of the queue as one of their most underrated 

falling down

not having them in your top 30 is testament to how many good songs they've got - but seriously no **** masterplan??!!!

Masterplan is a Noel song, so it would be in my top 30 :) Probably in the top 10. 

My point was that i wouldn't have any non Noel written songs in my top 30. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i thought you meant noel sang songs...

Nah, Don't look Back in Anger is my all time favourite! :D I'm also a big fan of Magic Pie :blush:

The discussion was about the band dropping off once Noel allowed others to write songs. I'd struggle to name a non Noel penned song that I really rate. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

saw he'd been talking up an acoustic album earlier in the week, id love that

if you didn't know already he has a live album on spotify but its hard to find on the search because it'll take you to NGHFB rather than just NG

Slide Away - Live For Teenage Cancer Trust - song and lyrics by Noel  Gallagher | Spotify

got a cracking slide away on there

• Like 3

Â