Oasis: This is their thread

useless

6 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

What rob said

Wonderwall is an awful song

Its incredible how even oasis fans don't like it due to snobbery

What that song achieved is why oasis are so big and talked about in a way that the likes of blur etc aren't, you think it's awful but I bet you know the words... I bet my mom knows the words, I wouldn't be surprised if my 10 year old nephew knows the words, that song wasn't just on radio 1 it was on heart, it was on every radio station bar classic FM, it crossed over everything in a way not many songs do, it changed everything for them, it the oasis song with the most legacy attached it, it's one of the biggest songs released in my life time

It was also the first Cd I ever bought, what many won't know is the b sides were round r way, swampsong and imo oasis' best song the masterplan, that's one hell of a single release

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

They remember kinkladze, but not Alan Ball. Probably the best terrace adaptation of a song, all the same. Something for oasis to be proud of.

• Like 1

I like Wonderwall. I think it’s possibly one of his/their best songs.

But I don’t actively go out of my way to listen to it much. I’ve heard it enough. I don’t listen to them much at all these days, but Wonderwall is down to familiarity rather than me thinking it hasn’t aged well or something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its incredible how even oasis fans don't like it due to snobbery

What that song achieved is why oasis are so big and talked about in a way that the likes of blur etc aren't, you think it's awful but I bet you know the words... I bet my mom knows the words, I wouldn't be surprised if my 10 year old nephew knows the words, that song wasn't just on radio 1 it was on heart, it was on every radio station bar classic FM, it crossed over everything in a way not many songs do, it changed everything for them, it the oasis song with the most legacy attached it, it's one of the biggest songs released in my life time

It was also the first Cd I ever bought, what many won't know is the b sides were round r way, swampsong and imo oasis' best song the masterplan, that's one hell of a single release

Wonderwall was everywhere for ages, even covers like Mike Flowers. I heard it too many times and while it is a good song, a defining song for them, Its not one I would actively listen to again. Although it was on the radio last night and I was nodding away! 

Yet, Don't Look Back in Anger, I can listen to over and over again! 

We've mentioned it before, but the B sides were part of the appeal/success of the band as well. The Wonderwall one is great, but I think its pipped by Some Might Say, that has Talk Tonight, Acquiesce and Headshrinker. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Used to like Wonderwall, now it’s just a song that gets pissed 20 year olds on their feet in a pub doing that hand in the air shouting sing along , it kinda became a victim of its own success …if they reform I hope they don’t play it :) 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Used to like Wonderwall, now it’s just a song that gets pissed 20 year olds on their feet in a pub doing that hand in the air shouting sing along , it kinda became a victim of its own success …if they reform I hope they don’t play it :) 

The song is nearly 30 years old now. 

In 1995 what were the songs from the mid/late 60’s that the pissed 20 year olds were singing in the pub? I bet there wasn’t many.

Whatever people think of it artistically, from a “cultural” (for want of a better word) point of view, I think the fact it gets kids to do that has some value to it.

On the whole reunion thing, I don’t massively care either way. If I HAD to choose, I’d probably rather they didn’t. I don’t hold out much hope for any new material to be good and I’m not bothered about hearing them play the best of again. I think it has more potential to look both cynical and a bit sad than it does to be triumphant.

But my overwhelming feeling is one of indifference.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The song is nearly 30 years old now. 

In 1995 what were the songs from the mid/late 60’s that the pissed 20 year olds were singing in the pub? I bet there wasn’t many.

Whatever people think of it artistically, from a “cultural” (for want of a better word) point of view, I think the fact it gets kids to do that has some value to it.

On the whole reunion thing, I don’t massively care either way. If I HAD to choose, I’d probably rather they didn’t. I don’t hold out much hope for any new material to be good and I’m not bothered about hearing them play the best of again. I think it has more potential to look both cynical and a bit sad than it does to be triumphant.

But my overwhelming feeling is one of indifference.

At a push Delilah, Hi Ho Silver Lining, Dizzy, Daydream Believer. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

At a push Delilah, Hi Ho Silver Lining, Dizzy, Daydream Believer. 

You’ll never walk alone, Sweet Caroline.

But to be fair, it gets a lot harder if you have to be able to name a dirge.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

1995 any self respecting 20 year old only went to the pub to score some MDMA in the bogs

• 3 weeks later...

I find it hard to take Monobrow Noel seriously when he keeps saying Brian Wilson was a shit songwriter.

Bloke’s a complete mongoloid

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Noasis are playing Tamworth Assembly Rooms on the 22nd July if anyone is in the area and fancies a sign-song. 

20220513-234319.gif

Can't wait

See you there our kid!

rENeSE.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More of a musing about tribute acts in general, but prompted by the above.

Is it just generally accepted practice that “look, we’ll make an effort to get the singer to look a bit like Liam…” and the rest don’t really matter?

I saw an Oasis/Stone Roses tribute act years ago. Same band. Roses first half, Oasis second half. Again, “Liam” is a fair approximation. But everyone else is really just a group of blokes.

“Noel” makes a tiny bit of effort, and he does take the lead vocals on “don’t look back in anger”. But what if the “Noel” can’t sing at all and actually the bloke on bass is a much better singer? Is it just a case if we gotta have “Noel” on vocals because he’s the guitarist and it would be weird if the fella on bass who looks nothing like either Guigsy or Andy Bell takes lead vocals?

Edit - I know the answer here is that it’s Don’t look back in Anger and everyone is drunk and singing it anyway, so it doesn’t matter. But humour me.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â