Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

Just now, nick76 said:

That’s unfair to say “a few fans that love a good moan”…to some of us, the representation of the club means something. To the global fan base it might not mean much.  To Heck it’s part of his portfolio and need to build a global brand he wants and is one part of many parts of that strategy.

It probably means a lot to a lot of fans but some are a bit more patient and know one summer or even seasons badge strategy isn’t going to define a club forever!

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can you elaborate on your question please? Do you mean to me, to Heck to the bigger thing

I get his point mate.

You say the badge is meaningless, but then why is it so significant?

There is a reason alot of clubs are rebranding/modernising.

If there was no reason for it, they wouldn't bother.

World of media, brading etc on a global scale are more important than you may realise.

It's the FULL package which will bring us success, from presentation to performance on the pitch and all the other minute details even us may not think of but affect subconsciously.

16 hours ago, skarroki said:

I have the artistic talent of a 3 year old with a blindfold on but I've given it a go of the design I'd like, if anyone with more ability would like to take the "proper" gas lamp outline idea along with the more classic rampant lion and the star at the top of the badge, plus the Aston Villa FC all being on the badge along with 1874, I'd appreciate it.

Aston villa.png

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

@Teale's 'tache

I also like this gas lamp concept

lj3teecjywy91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s their colours, their stripes, a shield and a J

And they’ve done all that with 2 lines. 

It’s genius 

Yeah. But it looks shit. It's too simple.

Beauty obviously in the eye of the beholder but the Juve thing is shite imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Is there a serious discussion on the Juventus badge? It’s awful, I’d be devastated if we ever ended up with something like that 

It’s amazing. But like I said above our fanbase would never go for something like that

Juve badge looks more like a logo for a software company or something. Not feeling it. 

Seriously tho the badge can be anything. It makes no difference whatsoever if you’re shit on the pitch or not winning anything.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Marketing requirements and design trends mean a badge will evolve and change over time - we're not going to have a badge that never changes for the rest of time. Look at the biggest companies in the world - their logos change and evolve as trends and marketing requirements need. Theres been a huge change recently in moving from 00s era pseudo 3d metallic looks in favour of very clean simple 2d looks, for example - best seen from the various car brands

EWywvyxWsAA7d9E.jpg

nissan-logo-history.jpg

The same thing happened with football badges - the example always given being Arsenal, where they rebranded from a very heraldic inspired design they'd iterated on since the 50s to a more simple clean design

Arsenal-Logo-History.jpg

The problem we have is our classic elements of the badge all have some issues. We all like the round badge but everyone and their dog has done it and achieved success with it, so it ends up lost in the crowd or sadly looking like we're following in others footsteps (whether accurate or not).

We have the lion but lions are classics in heraldic imagery so there's shit loads of them - and we arguably suffer even more from that because our lion is pointedly meant to be heraldic - an acknowledgement of our history of connection with Scotland with the Scottish lion rampant. If you ditch the lion rampant you lose that and it's 'just a lion'.

Our colours aren't great for a modern design either. Claret and blue is old fashioned, Edwardian colours, and they don't pop against one another. When trying to make a badge that uses them in the modern style it gets lost without contrasts. We probably need to use more white space with the colours contrasted against white rather than themselves.

We also have the star issue. We need to reconcile that we've won the biggest prize in the game whilst also not getting defined by it which can come across as a little small time - 'obsessed with a trophy from 40years ago' etc etc. The current solution to that is the star on the badge, but both attempts at it are **** terrible, fussy afterthoughts that look like a toddler did a potato print of a star on it after the fact.

How do you embody the things that make us stand out in an image that also ticks the boxes from a modern marketing imagery perspective? We're the original big club - we won so much over our history that even though we've had massive droughts in silverware we're STILL above some of the fashionable darlings in the overall success tables. The league is OUR idea - we made the damn competition. We are an institution of the game - and while there's upstarts and 'big club' dynasties we were there day one and more often than not, even though we've done the whole rollercoaster as a club over the years (unlike some) we've always got back to the top table. We're the grand old team, history is concreted into this club and as a result everything is valued more, worth more - we're a prestige brand. But putting all that into a logo that holds it's own against the rest is not easy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I absolutely despise the star. If you can't make it work then get rid of it. Just having it randomly floating about looks pathetic. 

Wouldn't go that far but I agree the star has no place on the kit. Especially not on the PL kit. If we ever play in the CL it might be an idea to bring it back on those kits but that's then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

On reflection, and if the design was to change yet again, then I would remove the formation year and the star… they aren’t needed in this modern world. Players aren’t coming to us because of our history. Let’s be honest, they are coming for one thing only - because we are offering them more money at that point than anyone else is. (And a possibility to play in Europe might help sway a decision). 

Let's just change the badge to a £ sign then. 

• Like 2

Â