Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Looks like something from Wipeout.

The 90s PlayStation game, not Bob Monkhouse.

If would love it if we commissioned Designer's Republic to do a new badge.

I'd just like to add a little perspective, if I may. 

I know a few folk are not down with the new crest. 

To those people I would say that it could most certainly be worse. For instance the crest of Newells Old Boys, a club in Argentina for whom Messi once played.

Try having this on your chest:

image.png.599f4c0a3cb9d376b5dffe2f65c23a5f.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ginko said:

All evidence suggests Chris Heck was brought in to spearhead a rebrand that will make us unique and instantly recognisable. A lion rampant is far from that.

I think a lot of fans who want to keep our traditional imagery are going to be very disappointed by the time this project is completed.

I agree.  I was thinking it over about why he doesn't like the new badge.  He created a roundel badge for the 76ers, so it's not the shape itself (plus 8 other NBA teams use a roundel).  I think he doesn't believe a lion rampant works well in a circle, but works well on a shield.  However, from what he says in the youtube video, he would be keen to base a new badge on the one used for the European Cup win because of heritage and happier days etc.  Therefore, if he went with the roundel, the lion would have to change to fit well in a circle, which could be  the use of the lion rampant's head only, facing left as an example.  This would imo, be more simplistic and effective as an immediately recognisable image.  I'm usually conservative about these things, but I do think the use of a heraldic full lion rampant has had its day.

Otherwise, if the Lerner shield is kept, change the lion to claret as it just doesn't stand out well as yellow against light blue background.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Looks like a Gatecrasher album cover.

Keen eye on you my friend, that is the Gatecrasher lion! Designer's Republic did the artwork for all their compilation albums.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Keen eye on you my friend, that is the Gatecrasher lion! Designer's Republic did the artwork for all their compilation albums.

Brings back some memories that does...albeit hazy ones. Not too dissimilar to our own lion from the 70s (according to a source that may or may not be reputable)

Aston-Villa-FC-1969-1973.jpg.bad191985668069b847ca89984c2b8c9.jpg

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I agree.  I was thinking it over about why he doesn't like the new badge.  He created a roundel badge for the 76ers, so it's not the shape itself (plus 8 other NBA teams use a roundel).  I think he doesn't believe a lion rampant works well in a circle, but works well on a shield.  However, from what he says in the youtube video, he would be keen to base a new badge on the one used for the European Cup win because of heritage and happier days etc.  Therefore, if he went with the roundel, the lion would have to change to fit well in a circle, which could be  the use of the lion rampant's head only, facing left as an example.  This would imo, be more simplistic and effective as an immediately recognisable image.  I'm usually conservative about these things, but I do think the use of a heraldic full lion rampant has had its day.

Otherwise, if the Lerner shield is kept, change the lion to claret as it just doesn't stand out well as yellow against light blue background.

I would be devastated if we lost the lion rampant and just replaced it with a head 

Just to add my two penny worth - We are known as "Villa". We say "Up the Villa" and "Villa till I die". Commentators say "Villa have scored". The common denominator is "Villa". Maybe we could have the badge focusing on "Villa", incorporating the lion (I feel that the star is a little too much - just my opinion). The name "Aston" could be represented by the letter "A", which could possibly surround the main text? A lot of the American logos seem to use their recognised name - e..g Tampa Bay Rays; Cincinnati Reds; Philadelphia Phillies; etc. I have to confess that I was never a big fan of going back to the round badge - that is part of our history and we could now start making a new history with a completely redesigned badge.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 11:56, fightoffyour said:

Better than the (gas lamp) option presented

claret lion small.png

Still would've preferred them to present the gas lamp design in a more comparable colour scheme like this. I'd also have been happy with the free lion from either/both going forward and just 'Aston Villa' above / also '1874' below.

18 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Looks like something from Wipeout.

The 90s PlayStation game, not Bob Monkhouse.

Was going to comment this, but wasn't sure anyone else would know what I was talking about.

I spent many a night of my teenage years throwing the controller at the wall after finally having a near perfect record run but clipping the wall and spinning out  on the final stretch ffs!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

No thank you. No design should be done by committee, particularly a fan base. 

Careful what you wish for...

Cardiff City F.C. - Wikipedia

In 2012, Cardiff controversially changed their home kit colours from the traditional blue, white and yellow to red and black,[106] the first time the club had not worn blue as its primary colour since 1908. The crest was also changed to one in which the Welsh Dragon was more prominent than the traditional bluebird. These changes were made to "appeal in 'international markets'" as part of a "major investment plan" unveiled by chairman Vincent Tan.[107] The rebranding provoked strong opposition from the fans, who organised protest marches and demonstrations to voice their displeasure at the changes.[108][109] Despite Tan previously stating that the club would only return to wearing blue if another owner was found, on 9 January 2015, after three seasons playing in the red kit, the club reverted their home kit back to blue with a red away kit in a bid to "unite" the club.[110][111]

1 minute ago, Villadevon said:

Careful what you wish for...

Cardiff City F.C. - Wikipedia

In 2012, Cardiff controversially changed their home kit colours from the traditional blue, white and yellow to red and black,[106] the first time the club had not worn blue as its primary colour since 1908. The crest was also changed to one in which the Welsh Dragon was more prominent than the traditional bluebird. These changes were made to "appeal in 'international markets'" as part of a "major investment plan" unveiled by chairman Vincent Tan.[107] The rebranding provoked strong opposition from the fans, who organised protest marches and demonstrations to voice their displeasure at the changes.[108][109] Despite Tan previously stating that the club would only return to wearing blue if another owner was found, on 9 January 2015, after three seasons playing in the red kit, the club reverted their home kit back to blue with a red away kit in a bid to "unite" the club.[110][111]

I was living in wales at the time. And Cardiff couldn’t be more bluebird. It was everywhere in protest… brilliant 

an absolute disaster of a football rebrand. 
but, where this one went wrong was the owners didn’t understand anything about the  club, it’s history or it’s fan base and changed every fundamental aspect of the brand.. colour, icons, symobols, feeling. They was trying to be more “welsh” but totally forgot there’s a national team for that. In that time Cardiff city fc was just a welsh club. The fans kept it blue, they kept it Cardiff. Those protests really shown what a brand is. A lot more than asking the fans if they like, the star or not, or if it should be a circle or shield. 

a good brand is, emotion, inspiration, love represented in coms and visual elements. 

A good example of great villa branding (that’s not badge related) is seeing Tyrone Mings enjoying himself wearing a villa fan’s shirt at Glastonbury. Seeing that reminds us, why we like him, why we love villa. 

• Like 1

Why did we turn the lion the other way and why is the new/temporary badge not even as good as the “original” (below)?

And it’s supposed to be claret not frigging purple.

Update the lion, smarten up and miniaturise the text, and it’s better than the one they’ve come up with.

The gold enhances and brightens it. I think the new one is quite poor and dull on reflection. Claret on claret (or even purple on purple) is too dull anyway. 

spacer.png

I think we’ll just end up with a stand-alone lion in the end anyway.

Â