Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

From a brand perspective If we are simplifying the badge to a lion only then the star is needed to differentiate it from various other rampant lion crests (dutch national team etc.). Unfortunately the lion is not unique to villa, but the lion and star is. Maybe the star could be incorporated better rather than just pasted above, which does look to be an after thought. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I don’t like it. Think it looks childish, also without the border it keeps kinda looks like the lions staggering around after one too many. 

But I am sure Heck will make the adjustments he will to keep the tradition in place and make it brand-able, sounds like he is of good pedigree. 

Looks like a water mark or stationary heading. Pass.

I can see them keeping the new badge on the shirt and for 2 seasons until the 150 year anniversary, where the shirt would get either a special badge, or the new redesigned badge. And that's when the rest of the old badge branding would come down around VP, BH, etc.

I hope the shade of blue on the new badge is tweaked on the redesign. The blue looks somehow either too dark or too light, I can't figure it out. Or maybe the gold lettering is too orange, and it's affecting the blue. Dunno. But it bothers me.

Image result for new villa badge

• Haha 1

I'm torn on the star.

It sets us as one of a very select group and it's very easy to ignore it when we've not had the success in recent years.

The downside is the classic 'small time looking at past victories because there's nothing else to celebrate recently' thing, and so far every time we've put it on a badge it looks diabolical.

I'd probably lean towards getting rid unless we can come up with a clean way of incorporating it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I can see them keeping the new badge on the shirt and for 2 seasons until the 150 year anniversary.

That's next season isn't it?

I think the badge stays on the shirt this season - gets replaced with the 150th Anniversary special next season and then replaced properly the season after - so just the four crests in three years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The best thing about the new badge are the name Aston Villa, the Lion, and the colours.

I am still annoyed with what has happened. Can they not just go with the same claret lion as stand alone on, blue background for digital and keep the new crest for te shirt?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrchnry said:

I absolutely despise the star. If you can't make it work then get rid of it. Just having it randomly floating about looks pathetic. 

Agreed. Love what it stands for but hate the way it's incorporated into the badge

17 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The best thing about the new badge are the name Aston Villa, the Lion, and the colours.

I am still annoyed with what has happened. Can they not just go with the same claret lion as stand alone on, blue background for digital and keep the new crest for te shirt?

All evidence suggests Chris Heck was brought in to spearhead a rebrand that will make us unique and instantly recognisable. A lion rampant is far from that.

I think a lot of fans who want to keep our traditional imagery are going to be very disappointed by the time this project is completed.

5 minutes ago, Ginko said:

All evidence suggests Chris Heck was brought in to spearhead a rebrand that will make us unique and instantly recognisable. A lion rampant is far from that.

I think a lot of fans who want to keep our traditional imagery are going to be very disappointed by the time this project is completed.

Nah, based on what I've heard about him he's all about heritage. 

Modern is one thing, but he'd be a fool to ignore our legacy. The lion is most certainly part of that. It's one of our monikers.

Edited by HKP90

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Nah, based on what I've heard about him he's all about heritage. 

Modern is one thing, but he'd be a fool to ignore our legacy. The lion is most certainly part of that. It's one of our monikers.

Fair enough. I don’t think he’ll ditch the lion altogether, but I don’t think it’ll be a lion rampant.

I’m looking forward to what they come up with. It’s about time our brand was brought into the modern era.

• Like 1

The latest MOMS podcast episode actually does make some very good points (this coming from someone who was in complete disbelief that we'd ballsed up the crest situation so badly).

They made a good point regarding the stadium/surrounding area redevelopment. If that had been happening this summer, then we'd have no real choice but to go with the current badge as its going to be plastered all over the gaff. Heck has obviously come in and decided that (rightly or wrongly), the new badge just doesn't do it. If we're going to grow as a brand globally (which we need to do if we hope to compete with the big boys on a regular basis), we need something instantly recognizable, and something that might convince new fans overseas to start following us. A cool looking badge is a big factor in convincing potential fans that have no personal connection to any English clubs to choose us over City, United, Arsenal etc etc.

The fact that we have a bit more time before the redevelopment work begins means that he can gather enough data to either be sure that the new crest is the right one, or gather enough feedback to help in creating something that's going to stand out for the foreseeable future.

It's annoying, for me especially since I really do quite like this new badge and I don't really like this feeling of being in limbo, but the more I've thought about it, it does make very good business sense. We might be very glad that we've done it.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I would prefer if the lion was gold. For me since the PL thats who we have been. I also think it stands out more than a claret lion

Put the old badge next to the new one and you'll see exactly why it doesn't.

Only way the Gold Lion works id if we put it on a Claret background, which i'd be ok with to be fair.

I wouldn't mind us going with mostly gold and claret as our colour scheme.

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Put the old badge next to the new one and you'll see exactly why it doesn't.

Only way the Gold Lion works id if we put it on a Claret background, which i'd be ok with to be fair.

I wouldn't mind us going with mostly gold and claret as our colour scheme.

Can't have a mostly claret background on our badge when we have a claret shirt though. In that scenario surely we just abandon the badge altogether and just have the lion. 

Gold lion on our claret and blue shirt

Claret lion on our white away kit. 

Etc etc...

• Like 1

On 25/06/2023 at 12:14, mrchnry said:

I absolutely despise the star. If you can't make it work then get rid of it. Just having it randomly floating about looks pathetic. 

Agreed. It looks horrendous on every badge and it's small time. Just another balls up by Lerner. 

I can’t get the round badge to work for me. The shape is bland and boring, and the lion facing the other way looks weird. On the shirt, it almost looks like the lion is trying to run away. 

I’d love to see something more simplistic and modern. 

Â