Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

Just do the gaslamp one. It's the only one that looks modern, good, and futureproof. It stands out, looks great. It's right under our claret and blue noses. 

(I've said this a few times now so now I'll be quiet!) 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Pretty terrible one from Reddit, though not a bad idea underlying it and I appreciate the effort.

If you're going to go diamond you might as well get an A V shape in there.

I'd rather have the full 'Aston Villa' back but if we're going modern logo, it'd be missing a trick not to use that shape and our initials.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Just do the gaslamp one. It's the only one that looks modern, good, and futureproof. It stands out, looks great. It's right under our claret and blue noses. 

(I've said this a few times now so now I'll be quiet!) 

I agree. Looking back at it I still feel it needs some work, maybe more gold, maybe a slightly better shape, but it's in the right frame of being unique, but also not crazy, and actually meaning something to us. 

The lion was bigger and more detailed. That lion can then be used in isolation where we want to simplify the logo, maybe even on the shirt itself.

Keep the full logo for other purposes, but as a shape that represents our foundation, it will never age.

Feel like we're in a (still fairly sizable) minority on this though.

• Like 2

I never voted for either badge.

I think simplicity is a path to pursue.

Too busy, requires no reason for an onlooker to research.....most big global brands, have simplicity at the heart of their designs.....too busy creates confusion of the message and division of opinion.

I like the 76 ers badge for its simplicity.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was going to comment this, but wasn't sure anyone else would know what I was talking about.

I spent many a night of my teenage years throwing the controller at the wall after finally having a near perfect record run but clipping the wall and spinning out  on the final stretch ffs!

Wipeout was one of my first PS1 purchases on the platinum range. When £20 was properly twenty quid, and chicken tasted like chicken. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Why did we turn the lion the other way and why is the new/temporary badge not even as good as the “original” (below)?

And it’s supposed to be claret not frigging purple.

Update the lion, smarten up and miniaturise the text, and it’s better than the one they’ve come up with.

The gold enhances and brightens it. I think the new one is quite poor and dull on reflection. Claret on claret (or even purple on purple) is too dull anyway. 

spacer.png

I think we’ll just end up with a stand-alone lion in the end anyway.

Yeah I never really noticed the gold / yellow inner and outer ring before until I saw the new kit and realised something just didn’t look right, I think the gold enhances parts of the badge which makes it all stand out more. The new badge just looks washed out somehow, it just doesn’t stand out - I also don’t think the proportions help, the claret lion looks too big and the text is too small which makes it blend in further to the claret shirt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I never voted for either badge.

I think simplicity is a guide to pursue.

Too busy, requires no reason for an onlooker to research.....most big global brands, have simplicity at the heart of their designs.....too busy creates confusion of the message and division of opinion.

I like the 76 ers badge for its simplicity.

I’m a bit surprised and interested to see you say this… I suppose many of us assume that most, especially long time, fans have a major nostalgia factor and influence….

I’m glad you’ve said it too, maybe most of us would embrace either a more simplistic or modern design then… more than assumed/expected…

Intrigued to see what Heck will come up with, I expect him to raise the level in terms of sponsors, commercial deals and overall “quality”…  I like the idea that we won’t settle for less and will have standards…. Hopefully…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Any badge needs Aston Villa on it simples nowt wrong with the round badge apart from lion the wrong way and star!

Diamonds not for me, Shields mmmmm no thanks.  

Heck has a job on his hands to appeal to us all I guess.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

In the 90s, I used to enjoy studying the villa crest up close and examining the various elements.

I really don't get the drive for simplicity in everything.  OK, I get digital requires it, but have people changed that much since the 90s that they can't handle a bit of intricacy on a badge?

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Do not use this thread for anything other than discussing the 2022 crest. If you'd like to start a speculation thread for new designs, use the button to start a new thread.

48 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

In the 90s, I used to enjoy studying the villa crest up close and examining the various elements.

I really don't get the drive for simplicity in everything.  OK, I get digital requires it, but have people changed that much since the 90s that they can't handle a bit of intricacy on a badge?

I think you answered your question in the very same sentence! It's not about people changing.

We all know the " arrow" is Nike....without the name

We all know the "Luke" symbol without the name

We all know the Ralph Loren polo player...without the name.

IMO......We need a global symbol to represent Aston Villa.....that seems the modern way in global branding.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

We all know the " arrow" is Nike....without the name

We all know the "Luke" symbol without the name

We all know the Ralph Loren polo player...without the name.

IMO......We need a global symbol to represent Aston Villa.....that seems the modern way in global branding.

It’s the lion, always has to be…

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s the lion, always has to be…

I agree....but the lion has to be designed unique to us....so its easily recognisable as Villa....maybe a simple artists sketch.

I think Tottenham have come close with the cockrel on the Ball, but their name is underneath, I think that detracts from the mystique and subsequently attraction. I like the Wolves one too, with just a Wolfs head sketch.

The problem as I see it, with busy badges, someone will always see it as something missing, in their minds eye.....there is too much to say about Aston Villa history, so a simple design encapsulates it all in our imagination, and our own interpretation belongs to us.....In time strangers will just get used to the icon and know what it represents......I think the 76 ers design does all that and the circle of stars represents global.

what do you think?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree....but the lion has to be designed unique to us....so its easily recognisable as Villa

I think Tottenham have come close with the cockrel on the Ball, but their name is underneath, I think that detracts from the mystique and subsequently attraction.

Yep, fearsome and intimidating i say 🤣

let’s get this tifo on the go!

spacer.png

Interested to see where they go with this given the announcement last week.

A brand is more than a crest/logo - I imagine seeing the applications of the new crest within the wider context (ie not on the shirt) either lacked execution, or differed from the global Villa vision that Heck will be looking at.

The Juventus rebrand from a few years ago is a good example of really reimagining a football brand across various mediums (link).

I wouldn’t be surprised (and would kind of like it) if we did something really different from the norm, move away from the crest into something completely new. It would annoy a lot of fans of course but could really set us apart from all the other clubs and badges in the league.

• Like 3

Â