Pre-Match Thread: Doing the double

tinker

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Really? If Gerrard put that side out,he'd be crucified

I can understand he needs to see some of the options available to him, but it's not a good lineup by any stretch

Probably because Gerrard needed as strong a lineup as possible to have any hope of performing?

Remember us in this round against Chelsea last year? That was a weakened side, but we hadn't missed a beat from our recent good PL performances (including against Chelsea). Remember a lot of people remarking that our fringe and youth players played just as well as the first team. That was just Dean Smith. I expect it to be no different under Unai.

Hard to say, it's weaker than i wanted but on the other hand does it say to a couple of them that there's places still up for grabs rather than emery already knowing his best 11 which at this stage isn't a bad thing

With that in mind hoping Chambers has a good game and McGinn has a weight off his shoulders resurgence

Also maybe a chance to see emerys reaction, if mcginn plays kick and rush or the formation doesn't work let's see how he reacts

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mcginn on the  left just seems like a recipe for disaster 

We have limited pace so the counter attack we saw on sunday is out the window

Let’s just wait and see and trust the system?

If you're Emery it might make more sense to do well on Sunday against Brighton in the prem than tonight in the cup. Being mid table in the league will be more helpful in attracting players come January than still being in the cup.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Really? If Gerrard put that side out,he'd be crucified

I can understand he needs to see some of the options available to him, but it's not a good lineup by any stretch

If Gerrard had played the team Emery put out last Sunday we'd have lost. I thought the whole point of this was that the tactics and coaching can elevate our existing squad. Otherwise, why did we change the manager, and why have I been reading 50 bloody pages on the Emery thread banging on about tactics? 

New manager so every player gets a clean slate. Im excited to see a McGinnis freed of defensive fullback duties. He will be desperate to produce a good performance. 

Also, we have Dougie and Boubacar in the double pivot. Probably the best midfield duo for Villa since I honestly don't know when. They are going up against McTominay and Fred. Only one clear winner there.