Pre-Match Thread: Doing the double

tinker

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

With the break coming up I’d rather we went full strength tonight 

Possibly prioritising points on Sunday? 

• Like 2

Bit disappointed with that team tbh, wanted and expected us to go as strong as possible to get the job done.

Still, if we can rotate this many and still put in a strong performance where the side can clearly demonstrate they are putting Emery’s tactics and gameplan into practice, then we can get very excited about his ability to get his ways across to everyone in this squad, not just those that started at the weekend.

that said, would have loved to see Martinez, Mings, Buendia and Sanson starting tonight, but I trust Unai fully and look forward to the game regardless, something Gerrard didnt have me doing.

• Like 1

Some players may surprise us today, I’ve firmly subscribed to the camp we couldn’t really judge anyone under Gerrard’s “management”.

Combination of Emery giving people a shot, who knows what he’s seen in training, and resting players for a game in 3 days time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Really? If Gerrard put that side out,he'd be crucified

I can understand he needs to see some of the options available to him, but it's not a good lineup by any stretch

As long as McGinn is further up then its fine, he is always better higher up.

This lot are now being coached so it's not the same as Gerrard picking them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Really? If Gerrard put that side out,he'd be crucified

I can understand he needs to see some of the options available to him, but it's not a good lineup by any stretch

Because Gerrard sent the players out with no idea what they were supposed to be doing.

It’s the same 4222. McGinn is basically taking Buendia position. And Watkins Bailey becomes Watkins Ings. 

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

I don’t mind the lineup except for Olsen. He’ll obviously play in early cup rounds like this (and I would imagine Martinez is happy to be on the bench this close to the WC) but really don’t believe Olsen is good enough.

To be fair to the bloke, he's played twice, coming in against the champions and then as a sub against one of the most in form sides in the league.

I've been underwhelmed, but hopefully he surprises us