Pre-Match Thread: Doing the double

tinker

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If Gerrard had played the team Emery put out last Sunday we'd have lost. I thought the whole point of this was that the tactics and coaching can elevate our existing squad. Otherwise, why did we change the manager, and why have I been reading 50 bloody pages on the Emery thread banging on about tactics? 

I don't disagree - I just do disagree that it's a good side. Hopefully it is good enough to get the job done

I guess the crux of the disagreement might be how seriously people think we ought to take the league cup

The european qualification through the league cup is a bit shit tbf, I believe you have to play qualifying games first to then possibly go into the conference league group stages.

FA cup winners go directly to the group stage, and in the Europa league instead of the conference.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Peter Schmiechel is really irriatiang.

Clearly hasn't watched McGinn play this season has he. That said he's further forward tonight so hopefully we get the John of old back.

Edited by birdman

13 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Not confident TBH. They have gone strong to save face I reckon as 2 losses in a row against us would not be palatable for their self righteous fanbase. 

Oh well the important one was on Sunday in reality.

The fa cup is still there.

? They've benched/rested De Gea, Shaw, Martinez, Erikssen and Casemiro. Thats the spine of their team.

They are probably stronger upfront than at the weekend, mostly as no Ronaldo is addition by subtraction, but Anthony and Sancho arent even on the bench.

Both sides have put out 'weaker' sides

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

The european qualification through the league cup is a bit shit tbf, I believe you get to play qualifying games first to then possibly go into the conference league group stages.

Beggars can't be choosers. How many years now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The european qualification through the league cup is a bit shit tbf, I believe you get to play qualifying games first to then possibly go into the conference league group stages.

Are you saying you wouldn’t take a run in the Europa Conference?

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Are you saying you wouldn’t take a run in the Europa Conference?

Of course I would! Bring on those clubs from Moldova and Albania. We would even have a chance to win the thing.

I was just a bit disappointed when I saw you had to play qualifyers first before the group stage.