The Coffee Thread

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

I use this

2E09FC79-A43F-4367-817C-2852C2728DDC.jpeg

My son bought us one of these for Christmas about three years ago and it's never been used til recently. 

I found it stored away, no idea how to use it. A quick YouTube video later and I'm using it every time I fancy coffee (three or four times a week, as I prefer Earl Grey tea). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

As much as I’m a cheapskate when it comes to coffee I do enjoy watching James Hoffmann go on about it all on YouTube.  

He did a great video with Tom Scott some time ago, who had not been a coffee drinker up to that point, with James going in to a lot of detail about different flavours and such

5 minutes ago, hogso said:

He did a great video with Tom Scott some time ago, who had not been a coffee drinker up to that point, with James going in to a lot of detail about different flavours and such

Yeah I watched that, it was so interesting. I’d love to do something like that as I have a preconceived notion about the flavour of coffee that I like. 

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I use an espresso machine. Probably the most important thing is how fresh the beans are. If you’re buying whole beans they should show the date they were roasted, not a supermarket style ‘best before’ date. Use within about 2 months from roast date and you’ll get good results (assuming your process is reasonably dialled in etc).

same. i get my beans from coffeebeanshop who are really good. grind them myself and have a double shot ameriano every morning

talking supermarket beans, sainsburys single origin beans (columbia or guatemala i think they do) actually make a really good coffee. definitely the best of the high street ones (including M&S)

i tried kopi luwak once...was nice, but nothing special

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

same. i get my beans from coffeebeanshop who are really good. grind them myself and have a double shot ameriano every morning

talking supermarket beans, sainsburys single origin beans (columbia or guatemala i think they do) actually make a really good coffee. definitely the best of the high street ones (including M&S)

i tried kopi luwak once...was nice, but nothing special

Yeah if you’re buying Supermarket beans I’m sure you can get good stuff. The problem is if they only write a best before date you’ve got no idea how old it actually is or how long they consider ‘best before’ to be.

I notice when going through a large batch of beans that you have to keep grinding finer and finer and tamping harder and harder as they get further away from the roast date to still get a decent result. 

Dinamica Plus and some maybe decent whole beans. Sounds like I need the fresh deliveries though.

I'll have an espresso/doppio (whatever that is, bit bigger espresso?) quickly first thing before taking a shit then going for a run and treat myself to a flat white later with breakfast.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Dinamica Plus and some maybe decent whole beans. Sounds like I need the fresh deliveries though.

I'll have an espresso/doppio (whatever that is, bit bigger espresso?) quickly first thing before taking a shit then going for a run and treat myself to a flat white later with breakfast.

It's a great machine

R.73590a95f4bb2d6cf04632405421523c?rik=o

I have Cappuccino plus (extra shot) in the morning and just coffee with some warm milk in the afternoon.

• Like 1

I'm down the middle. Won't touch instant filth. CBA with fancy machines and grinding heans. 

Therefore, cheap filter coffee maker, supermarket ready ground coffee. Of which the best I've found is, amazingly, from Aldi. Not their bog standard stuff, which is nasty, but their single-country origin ones. They're all good, but I like the Colombian best. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm down the middle. Won't touch instant filth. CBA with fancy machines and grinding heans. 

Therefore, cheap filter coffee maker, supermarket ready ground coffee. Of which the best I've found is, amazingly, from Aldi. Not their bog standard stuff, which is nasty, but their single-country origin ones. They're all good, but I like the Colombian best. 

Can't go wrong with a filter coffee if you put in decent coffee. I'm with you on skipping expensive machines - unless coffee if your hobby, making espresso at home isn't worth the hassle or expense.

I think you'd get a massive step up with grinding beans and brewing the same way, but it's not as big a problem with filter brews. The main concern with your brew method is staleness - I'd encourage trying out a specialty coffee provider as they'll all even grind the beans for you if you don't want to mess around with it yourself. It'll at least then have been roasted and ground within the last few days rather than months ago, worth trying out at least once as a treat, I reckon.

The really big problem with mass market retail ground coffee is they grind it really coarse, then market it as "for espresso" when there's absolutely no way you can make an acceptable espresso with that stuff. Filter coffee is much more forgiving.

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I have a bean2cup machine and would like to hear anyone's bean recommendations.

What do you use at the moment?

90% of what you get in supermarkets is a very dark roast, which to be fair is what most people expect coffee to taste like, but it's overly developed, tastes a bit burnt, ashy and harsh to me, and loses all of the characteristics of the bean.

I think the best thing you can do is try out a few different types to figure out what you like. Light roasts can just taste bizarre to people used to a traditional coffee roast, but really let you taste the origin characteristics of the coffee, and are usually brighter, a bit fruitier, a bit more acidic than the usual stuff. Medioum roasts are a bit more balanced

If you have a local roastery, they will usually cycle through different varieties, and even have a coffee club where you can pick up a different pack every time you go in to try different things. If you don't have a local place and just want something in the post, I use https://unionroasted.com/ and get a different pair of coffee bags every week to try out different things and would highly recommend it.

Â