The Coffee Thread

MaVilla

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Did google say anything interesting about microwaving  Vietnamese coffee :) 

I think you’re still a good few years ahead of the curve there to be fair.

On a totally unrelated issue , does anyone else on VT  have a Nespresso coffee machine ?

if so , when you make your coffee with it do you find that it’s not particularly warm , to the point that you think 20 seconds in the microwave would make it a more enjoyable experience and also create a better impression on any guests you happened to serve  it to , rather than them going home saying , that clearing in the woods can’t even make a warm cup of coffee unless his wife does it 

That’s not totally unrelated though is it Tony?

You’re still **** microwaving drinks.

Can’t wait for you to have a proper holiday over the island so I can pop a hot chocolate in the George Foreman for you.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On a totally unrelated issue , does anyone else on VT  have a Nespresso coffee machine ?

if so , when you make your coffee with it do you find that it’s not particularly warm , to the point that you think 20 seconds in the microwave would make it a more enjoyable experience and also create a better impression on any guests you happened to serve  it to , rather than them going home saying , that clearing in the woods can’t even make a warm cup of coffee unless his wife does it 

We got given a top of the range one a couple of weeks ago and no, the coffee is almost perfect, latte, macchiato, flat white, cappuccino, espresso, all of them are made really well. No issue with heat at all. The built in milk frothy steam wand thing also does the milk really well too

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

We got given a top of the range one a couple of weeks ago and no, the coffee is almost perfect, latte, macchiato, flat white, cappuccino, espresso, all of them are made really well. No issue with heat at all. The built in milk frothy steam wand thing also does the milk really well too

Perfect as in its warm or perfect as in its hot that you couldn’t down it in one and would have to sip it ? ( I like my coffee the latter ) 

I’ve got some thermometers at work , guess maybe I should take some readings and see what they come back as ..

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Perfect as in its warm or perfect as in its hot that you couldn’t down it in one and would have to sip it ? ( I like my coffee the latter ) 

I’ve got some thermometers at work , guess maybe I should take some readings and see what they come back as ..

You don’t like coffee then, you will not like any machine on the market because that isn’t the way coffee should be drunk

You'd be better off with instant and a kettle

I've gone black full time. 3 cups/day no sweetener. This is the stuff-- I used to buy it sold loose at the co-op and grind the beans myself, but it's a little cheaper to buy their bag pre-ground. Try it  if you can find it. For mass market coffee, it's pretty good.

Equal Exchange Coffee, Organic, Whole Bean, Mind Body & Soul (12 oz ...

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve just been having a play with mine and if you have the model that does the milk as well then you can change the temperature of the milk in manual mode, one setting changes the froth level and the other the milk temperature

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

What kind of coffee drink and how do you make it?

Edited by Mr_Dogg

No coffee machine is going to make boiling hot liquid no but on the hot setting you can have it barely drinkable for a minute.

That's how I like it - I hate in a cafe when you're served lukewarm coffee so you feel the need to drink it all immediately and be like "ok, what now for the next hour?" Another coffee and I'll be climbing the **** walls like a kid on Sunny Delight.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

I’ve just been having a play with mine and if you have the model that does the milk as well then you can change the temperature of the milk in manual mode, one setting changes the froth level and the other the milk temperature

I have the milky frothier thing but don’t usually bother with it  … but if I use the warm milk mode, it doesn’t make a significant difference so it still gets a 30 second zap

43 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What kind of coffee drink and how do you make it?

Two capsules of coffeee , one using big size and one using the expresso size , then chuck  some milk in 

it does seem that the machines don’t go as hot as boiling a kettle would …I think it “burns” the coffee in theory ?

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Two capsules of coffeee , one using big size and one using the expresso size , then chuck  some milk in 

it does seem that the machines don’t go as hot as boiling a kettle would …I think it “burns” the coffee in theory ?

Are you looking for an americano? You should make an espresso and add water from the kettle, rather then taking all the water from the machine.

14 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Are you looking for an americano? You should make an espresso and add water from the kettle, rather than taking all the water from the machine.

I add milk to it , can’t really get on with black coffee

It’s kinda my morning ritual, I get to work make a large cup of coffee and drink it as I catchup on overnight news , Wordle etc

once I’ve drunk  it I’ll then think about doing some work 

i just found one pod looked empty in the cup and 2 full pods tasted a bit weak once I’ve added the milk, so opted for 1 and a half 

It’s the only cup I have a day(typically) , so it’s just needs to be hot and have a bit of taste 

yeah I know ,  good coffee would be wasted on me :)

Edited by tonyh29

3 hours ago, bickster said:

image.jpeg.73133ae2219d75b18f4b7ef3694281d0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I add milk to it , can’t really get on with black coffee

It’s kinda my morning ritual, I get to work make a large cup of coffee and drink it as I catchup on overnight news , Wordle etc

once I’ve drunk  it I’ll then think about doing some work 

i just found one pod looked empty in the cup and 2 full pods tasted a bit weak once I’ve added the milk, so opted for 1 and a half 

It’s the only cup I have a day(typically) , so it’s just needs to be hot and have a bit of taste 

yeah I know ,  good coffee would be wasted on me :)

Well you can add water and then milk. What are you doing is bit weird so not yielding the best results.

F*** me, instant coffee is so vile I have no idea how anyone can seriously say they prefer the stuff (I know plenty who do, my dad included.) 

I need my morning cup before breakfast, and since I’m currently in a hotel room, instant is all I can get. It’s so disgusting, I wish I’d gone for tea instead. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, El Zen said:

F*** me, instant coffee is so vile I have no idea how anyone can seriously say they prefer the stuff (I know plenty who do, my dad included.) 

I need my morning cup before breakfast, and since I’m currently in a hotel room, instant is all I can get. It’s so disgusting, I wish I’d gone for tea instead. 

I have to think of them as completely different drinks to mentally separate them

• Like 3

Â