The Coffee Thread

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What do you use at the moment?

I've only been using the bog standard supermarket bags so far, Taylors, Lavazza and Starbucks. I find they all taste very very similar, I guess that that's to be expected with these brands?

Just now, stuart_75 said:

I've only been using the bog standard supermarket bags so far, Taylors, Lavazza and Starbucks. I find they all taste very very similar, I guess that that's to be expected with these brands?

Yeah, that's what I meant be them being overly roasted and losing the origin characteristics. These mass producers don't want the best product, they want a consistent product, so what you end up tasting is the roast rather than the bean. Makes a more predictable, consistent product with less room for error in production. Nowhere near as nice, IMO. 

Of course, going specialty doesn't mean you have to go lighter, they'll still do dark roasts, but they'll usually be less dark, and have the advantage of being freshly roasted instead of sitting in Tesco's warehouse for months.

I'm sure you'll get great coffee from either of the links @limpid and I shared - one thing to be aware of if you do try different types of bean is that they need to be brewed slightly differently, your machine hopefully let's you control fineness of grind - typically you want to have a slightly finer grind for a medium roast compared to dark roast, and finer again for light. You'll find that if you have your machine set up well to get you a good coffee for a dark roast, it'll be a bit too coarse for lighter roasts and risks tasting quite sour

• Like 1

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Cold brew was a bit of a revolution for me this summer. I permanently have a jug of it in the fridge now.

i ran a product test on cold coffees in the summer for Lavazza against some competitors ... one of of the competitors in the test was Starbucks Cold brew .. Ihad to ring the stores near our venues to ensure they had sufficient quantities for us to purchase each morning  ... this is when I found out that it has a prep time of 24 hours  ..

I just assumed they made a coffee , let it go cold and chucked some ice in it  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I just assumed they made a coffee , let it go cold and chucked some ice in it  :)

This is iced coffee, it's a separate drink, and while it sounds pretentious it has a completely different flavour profile to cold brew.

59 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its a joke @Davkaus  ;) 

I'm not a coffee drinker at home. May have a flat white from Nero/Costa when I go out, but thats it.

When I bought my first house I got  a jar of coffee in case people came around 

I moved out of that house about 12 years later and found the same jar in a kitchen cupboard , the coffee granules had turned white …

guess I just wasn’t that popular :)  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've discovered that coffee is the reason I piss so much so I have cut it down.  Shame as I stole a massive bag of coffee beans from my old job but don't really use them.  

They'll be terrible. Roasted beans don't don't stay fresh more than a few weeks.

Grind them a little and put them around your plants.

On 28/10/2022 at 14:23, mjmooney said:

I'm down the middle. Won't touch instant filth. CBA with fancy machines and grinding heans. 

Therefore, cheap filter coffee maker, supermarket ready ground coffee. Of which the best I've found is, amazingly, from Aldi. Not their bog standard stuff, which is nasty, but their single-country origin ones. They're all good, but I like the Colombian best. 

Filter coffee, black and on the strong side, is by far and away the best coffee. Not that I think it matters too much as far as taste goes, but by force of habit I will inisist a Moccamaster is the absolute gold standard for coffee makers and can’t imagine life without one. 

On 28/10/2022 at 13:43, stuart_75 said:

I have a bean2cup machine and would like to hear anyone's bean recommendations.

The coffee from these guys is amazing:

https://northerncobbler.com/collections/coffee/COFFEE

They've got three coffee shops, and roast the beans themselves in a little village called Billesden that's a couple of miles from me. Their flat whites are a thing of beauty. Not cheap, but life is too short for rubbish coffee.

• Thanks 1

When I was in high school I worked at a Boston area Cafe chain. They imported amazing coffee. Jamaican Blue Mountain. Hawaiian Kona. Sumatran. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe among many others. The guy is well.known in coffee circles. George Howell. One of the top American importers. We'd unload the truck an hour or two after the beans were roasted. The burlap bags would radiate the heat as we brought them inside. The aroma was....exquisite. We were allowed one pound of free coffee every week. And all we could drink when clocked in.

So I was spoiled early on. Real top notch stuff is an unjustifiable expense these days. But I buy decent enough free trade beans at the food co-op. I grind them at the store and keep them sealed in the freezer. 

My first cup I add Oat milk. Subsequent cups I take black. Usually 2-3 cups a day.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...

I’ve often boasted that caffeine doesn’t appear to have much of an impact on me, I can drink caffeine any time of day without it causing problems, and I can give up caffeine for a week without any sort of cold turkey.

Well today, I had a couple of simple black coffees in a little Vietnamese place and bloody hell, they did give me the feels that people have described and I’ve never experienced.

I since googled up Vietnamese coffee and it does say the general belief is Vietnam coffee is strong and this is partly down to it being predominantly robusta.

Never had that feeling before, a couple of hours of being on edge and not able to knuckle down and get some work down.

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve often boasted that caffeine doesn’t appear to have much of an impact on me, I can drink caffeine any time of day without it causing problems, and I can give up caffeine for a week without any sort of cold turkey.

Well today, I had a couple of simple black coffees in a little Vietnamese place and bloody hell, they did give me the feels that people have described and I’ve never experienced.

I since googled up Vietnamese coffee and it does say the general belief is Vietnam coffee is strong and this is partly down to it being predominantly robusta.

Never had that feeling before, a couple of hours of being on edge and not able to knuckle down and get some work down.

Did google say anything interesting about microwaving  Vietnamese coffee :) 

• Like 1

Â