The Coffee Thread

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Are you tamping it properly? It could be a  bunch of things, Do you get a solid puck after extraction?

Yeah, a very solid one actually. Is that a KW?

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Ha, yeah , at the moment the coffee flows out too quickly AND it tastes bitter. How the fugg does that happen?

I use a triple bottomless basket, and extract into a double shot glass, so it shouldn't be too watery. In theory.

I'm going to **** about with it this afternoon and see what I can find out.

Do you weigh it? A double should be 35-50 grams but even that varies.

Just now, Mr_Dogg said:

Do you weigh it? A double should be 35-50 grams 

No, but the grinder has a doser with a fixed size, so it should be the right amount. It looks about the right amount when it's in the basket, and if nothing else, it's been consistent the entire time I've had it. Might give a few doses a little weigh though...

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

No, but the grinder has a doser with a fixed size, so it should be the right amount. It looks about the right amount when it's in the basket, and if nothing else, it's been consistent the entire time I've had it. Might give a few doses a little weigh though...

I mean the resulting coffee shot.

20 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Ha, yeah , at the moment the coffee flows out too quickly AND it tastes bitter. How the fugg does that happen?

If it's too quick, it might be worth taking a step back, grinding finer, aiming for a solid extraction time of 25-30 seconds, and seeing what you think

There's a real phenomenon of sour-bitter confusion that's really common, it can be quite hard to tell them apart for people who aren't really experienced tasters, so you can end up misdiagnosing it and trying to correct the flavour in the wrong way.

• Like 1

Â