Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Do people from the Basque country consider themselves to be Spanish? I know first hand Living in Wales in a predominantly welsh speaking area to called British is sin, I wonder if it’s similar for Basque people and Spanish?

There is a long and violent history of Basque separatism, which only ended really in 2016-18. many bombings and assassinations prior to that (obviously, not necessarily supported by the majority of the Basque population). Much of the impetus has been defused by a move to create strong regional government, Spain is not, however, a homogeneous nation in the way that England is. Regional loyalties are very strong.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Speaking of Basque/Spain - is anyone else worried that Spain might come in for him at some point?

Hopefully he's one of the Basque people who don't like Spain! His style also isn't necessarily very consistent with the general idea of the national team style. I'm not sure he'd be the best fit.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Speaking of Basque/Spain - is anyone else worried that Spain might come in for him at some point?

Not at all tbh for a few reasons. He seems a loyal person that would want to see out his job. He is being very handsomely paid.  International football is slowly dying a death and is more a place for managers that can’t find a decent club job than anything else.  Finally being from the Basque region he may have no desire to manage Spain. 

Him getting the Spain job would have meant he failed at Villa imo.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

I'm so PTSD'd by Gerrard.

Every time he had an extended period of time with the players, last spring, last summer, they came back worse.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest The Unaiversity will be the same, the opposite in fact, but I'm going to need constant reassurance boys and girls!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm so PTSD'd by Gerrard.

Every time he had an extended period of time with the players, last spring, last summer, they came back worse.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest The Unaiversity will be the same, the opposite in fact, but I'm going to need constant reassurance boys and girls!

We should look to our performance levels in the coming months. These will show if “The Unaiversity” is working or not.

• Like 1

I'm just looking forward to seeing on a regular basis what he can do with the very good squad that we already have here. Of course some new players will be nice in January but I was getting tired of so many people on here saying how mediocre our squad was under Gerrard. Our squad is European competition worthy already. Good enough to win the Europa League even if they are all playing well. In just two games under a top manager they look like the quality players they always were. Never underestimate just how bad Gerrard was at his job! He made top players look like shmucks week in, week out.

The wonderful reality now in front of us is that we have a top class manager, a great squad of players, great owners, rich owners, ambitious owners, never need to sell a player unless they want or we want them to go and only looking for world class additions to improve our squad. What's more we have the finances to do that. Did I read that our owners are now richer than Chelsea's? I am looking forward to happier days at Villa (of course that's how they normally get you, the hope).

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Pembers said:

i cant see how thats true re "calling them in one by one", Cash in a recent interview said Emery hadnt had a chance to do any 1 to 1's with any players as he worked with the whole group to try and get across the basics in the short time they had together.

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i cant see how thats true re "calling them in one by one", Cash in a recent interview said Emery hadnt had a chance to do any 1 to 1's with any players as he worked with the whole group to try and get across the basics in the short time they had together.

Probably but could depend if Cash deems one to one to be on the training pitches and not an office meeting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brommy said:

Probably but could depend if Cash deems one to one to be on the training pitches and not an office meeting.

Cash's interview was published on YouTube 2 weeks ago, probably filmed a week before that date. 

• Like 2

Â