Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, weedman said:

Listening to the recent interview he did its clear his time was coming up regardless, he's an old school manager and the game caught up with him, if him and Randy had come through the door 5 years earlier I think they could have really set us up as a champions league outfit but football was moving on to a more technical coaching model while MON was with us and his lack of any kind of success after leaving us shows this

Emery is a manager that can really move us forward especially as we have ambitious owners who have invested a lot in all aspects of the club, not just the "on the pitch" elements. Arguably the only area we're really failing is the "on the pitch" stuff and I have complete faith that Emery is the man to repair that, I think the next few years could be really exciting 

Amen brother 🙏

On 16/11/2022 at 11:02, Vive_La_Villa said:

No disrespect to Smith who did an amazing job for us but Emery is the level of manager our owners must have wanted for a while.  I actually thought they were losing interest at one point with how long they stuck with Gerrard.   We can really push on.

I think we have to remember, SG was very much a CP signing, and I would suspect the owners would not want to piss on the chips of a Director, who has done good work elsewhere, in the club. I would be amazed if conversation about SG between the 2 owners and CP were not had.

I think the Fulham debacle, brought it all to a head, and in a fit of pique, after weeks of thought, Naz acted swiftly.....sometimes its the best reaction as we are all guilty of indecision at times, when conflicting criteria are at play.

I think UE and his level of ability, was always the plan, but we had to temper that, with where we were in terms of Status.....I think the owners, have worked the Oracle here.

I am not getting carried away, because, we have had too many false dawns, and there is still some work to do......It won't come over night, but if we make the right decisions, particularly in the transfer market, it will come.

You can never, be sure of a new manager, but UE feels to me like he has a burning desire, for unfinished business, and to redeem his reputation on these shores.

I haven't heard one negative vibe towards his work and that is saying some, in this modern world of piranha style media.

I hope we don't get too carried away, and stay calm, with what on paper should be.....a nice ride.

Then perhaps the Holte end can give me my favourite rendition of ....Villa are back, Villa are back, hello,hello, villa are back, Villa are back.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, imavillan said:

Short interview here with his aims for Villa, mentions new players (not names)....all sounds good for us until he's asked about the world cup and he put's England in the mix..

lost all credibility with that statement 😉🤣

What was the last question that ended the interview ?

I hope the u23s and u21s will be involved heavily with the first team in this break. Be good for Emery to get a good look at what we've got coming through, he might find some answers to problems he's identified with the squad that way. Any money we save by finding our own talent would mean less but higher quality signings in Jan....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was 'Do you think Messi can make it this year?'

Unai probably thought the question was a bit irrelevant for him to answer - a Spanish national managing in England being questioned if an Argentine playing in France can win the WC in Qatar? I don't blame him for politely moving on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I might be wrong but it sounded as if he was asked if this could be the year Messi wins the WC.

Edit. Beaten to it 

Edited by av1

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

Unai probably thought the question was a bit irrelevant for him to answer - a Spanish national managing in England being questioned if an Argentine playing in France can win the WC in Qatar? I don't blame him for politely moving on.

Or his opinion is "no" and he doesn't want Messi upset with him when we sign him in January :D 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, brommy said:

Do people from the Basque country consider themselves to be Spanish? I know first hand Living in Wales in a predominantly welsh speaking area to be called British is sin, I wonder if it’s similar for Basque people and Spanish?

Edited by gwi1890

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Do people from the Basque country consider themselves to be Spanish? I know first hand Living in Wales in a predominantly welsh speaking area to called British is sin, I wonder if it’s similar for Basque people and Spanish?

It probably depends on the individual. I expect it might be fluid for some but that's not for this thread. I expect Unai's nationality would state Spanish on his passport and he'll be cheering on Spain in the WC. 

35 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Edit - not totally sure what this award was about.

Can only assume the whole ceremony was hastily put together once it was confirmed that a manager had somehow got Villa to beat Man United at home.

A manager got Aston Villa, to beat Manchester United, at Villa Park, in the league, in the current century?

In his first game?!

GET THAT MAN A TACKY AWARD AND A GLITZY CEREMONY, STAT!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Do people from the Basque country consider themselves to be Spanish? I know first hand Living in Wales in a predominantly welsh speaking area to called British is sin, I wonder if it’s similar for Basque people and Spanish?

Historically Basques generally have baulked at being described as Spanish. They are a distinct group of people, they have their own language and genetically are distinct from other Europeans, that have been given a raw deal by Spain, and as a result you got ETA, the terror group, killing politicians and blowing shit up for years.

I think that has waned as the Basque people have gained recognition internationally, and now Spain does acknowledge them as a group more they have ended up in a similar place to Wales - Welsh first and foremost, but British too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Plenty of people born in the Basque country are ethnically purely Spanish and think of themselves as Spanish and plenty of them are Basque and think of themselves as Basque. My purely Basque friend hates Spain with a passion. The people I stayed with in Donostia/San Sebastian were basically just Spanish people who live there. I have no idea which way Emery is.

23 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Plenty of people born in the Basque country are ethnically purely Spanish and think of themselves as Spanish and plenty of them are Basque and think of themselves as Basque. My purely Basque friend hates Spain with a passion. The people I stayed with in Donostia/San Sebastian were basically just Spanish people who live there. I have no idea which way Emery is.

I don’t really care “which way Emery is” - that’s up to him. My only concern is over the job he does for Villa - so far very good IMO.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Historically Basques generally have baulked at being described as Spanish. They are a distinct group of people, they have their own language and genetically are distinct from other Europeans, that have been given a raw deal by Spain, and as a result you got ETA, the terror group, killing politicians and blowing shit up for years.

I think that has waned as the Basque people have gained recognition internationally, and now Spain does acknowledge them as a group more they have ended up in a similar place to Wales - Welsh first and foremost, but British too. 

Very good way of explaining it thanks.

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Some Basques are French. 

Only about 15% of them, and funnily enough the French have actually given the Basques shorter shrift than Spain has. Which makes it even weirder that France was ETA's favoured place to plan and carry out attacks from.

Sorry, off topic - I find the Basque people fascinating.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

A manager got Aston Villa, to beat Manchester United, at Villa Park, in the league, in the current century?

In his first game?!

GET THAT MAN A TACKY AWARD AND A GLITZY CEREMONY, STAT!

Â