Unai Emery

PeterSw

Some of the one touch football, fizzing it around is very tasty.

Carlos will be massive when he's back.

I must admit I don't like the extent to which we're playing out. This is definitely the time to try and improve it! I hope we'll be flexible on the pitch when the players see fit.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Some of the one touch football, fizzing it around is very tasty.

Carlos will be massive when he's back.

I must admit I don't like the extent to which we're playing out. This is definitely the time to try and improve it! I hope we'll be flexible on the pitch when the players see fit.

Really makes me nervous. We’re going to concede a lot of goals through mistakes playing this way. We’ve already conceded one against Brighton.

I’m all for playing out from the back but if we don’t have the players to do it, Emery needs to recognise this. I’m sure Carlos will help but we’ll probably need a new right back playing this way and maybe even another centre half. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really makes me nervous. We’re going to concede a lot of goals through mistakes playing this way. We’ve already conceded one against Brighton.

I’m all for playing out from the back but if we don’t have the players to do it, Emery needs to recognise this. I’m sure Carlos will help but we’ll probably need a new right back playing this way and maybe even another centre half. 

I'd love to know if the stats could demonstrate how much more likely you are to score by creating attacks this way, vs how much more likely you are to concede.

Or more specifically, us. A team with two confident ball playing centre backs, well practiced in the art would be increasing their chance of scoring and not really exposing themselves defensively. Maybe even reducing the chance of conceding as they keep the ball for longer.

A team like us, with two defenders that aren't well practiced in this approach, are going to have to accept we increase the risk of conceding, as well as the chance of scoring, until we get more used to it. 

It's a trade off I'm happy for us to take.

53 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

4-4-2 is the most used formation in La Liga . Argentina played a 4-4-2 last night with a midfield 4 rather than wingers… just like we do, guess it didn’t die with the dinosaur after all.

442 can easily transition into a 4231.  One of the strikers drops into the 10 position and the two wide players push up and you have a 4231.

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

442 can easily transition into a 4231.  One of the strikers drops into the 10 position and the two wide players push up and you have a 4231.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Exactly, it's basically the same system.

So that’s what tactics Tim is doing in that gif……..

ahead of the curve

Burnley and Southampton the most recent examples playing 4-4-2 in Premier League.

Not exactly massive success stories.

I'm skeptical but happy to be swayed if Unai can make it work.

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Burnley and Southampton the most recent examples playing 4-4-2 in Premier League.

Not exactly massive success stories.

I'm skeptical but happy to be swayed if Unai can make it work.

The formation isn't that important, it's the style of play and team/player instructions that matter.  Man City recently have played a 442 in the Champions League, yet they don't play the same way as Burnley or Southampton.

An efficient team should be able to play the same way they always do, even if the formation changes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It can, but your 10/8 tends to have to be more of an attacking presence, and needs to be a good finisher, and your other, more defensive mid needs to be reeeeeeeeaaaly good.

Â