Unai Emery

PeterSw

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Brentford have absolutely gone from strength to strength since Smith left to join us. Now you could absolutely argue that they’d have done the same if Smith had remained in post (particularly with Thomas Frank as his assistant) but that’s just gonna be opinion, the facts are that Brentford have been upwardly mobile since Smith’s exit.

I would win that argument :)

He got poached by a bigger club (having built tremendous foundations at a very well run club) just as they were about to go for the big time and finally start spending bigger money.

Also, what is a top level Manager? 

Unai Emery (and others of course), someone with a proven track record of managing big teams, big names and winning big trophies.

Unai is great great great, but Gary O'Neil and Nathan Jones are also, literally, top-level managers right now.

I think the primary reason we’re so united in being fully behind this appointment is because there’s nowhere for us as a club to hide now, it’s unlikely we’ll be able to blame any future shortcomings on the Manager - he comes here with no caveats on experience or ability, if we fail under Emery then I don’t know who we could succeed under (although I appreciate 2+2 doesn’t always =4 in football world).

We can only pray.

If it doesn't work, it's likely the people who aren't Emery who will be the issue.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/11/2022 at 14:58, DaveAV1 said:

We really got lucky when these guys bought us. We were in so much trouble at the time we could easily have ended up with another chancer like Xia. To not only get multi billionaires but to get wealthy guys with the type of ambition and business acumen to actually make it count where and when it matters is like winning the lottery and putting it all on an outsider in the 3.30 at Haydock and winning. 

When you watch the England display last night, with a totally clueless manager who has been clueless for at least the last 12 months, employed by a pathetic organisation like the FA. Then you compare the effect of replacing a poor manager with an elite manager, as NSWE did. The benefits of being run by intelligent owners becomes extremely apparent. 

you are right.....extremely lucky in not just financial ways, they are prudent operators in a global business world....I think as ruthless as they can be, they are fair minded too.....an impressive combination.

Fair but firm, is a good managerial pairing.

But lets be honest here they bought Aston Villa for a song, sure their investments and guidance has their money back, many times over.....Owners have to have incentives too, they have to be motivated, and I think Aston Villa can provide all of that, because when you see the money some of these football clubs are going for, now......they have a sure fire winner.

Its important, we understand, they have to have motivation, just like the players, and manager....and when you buy right, invest and then see that asset grow before your eyes, no wonder, they are happy.

The players alone, have grown in value, overall, so it seems everything they invest grows.....happy days.

All things being equal, we now have a manager, with the wherewithal to take us to the next level....It won't be easy, but I believe, he knows what it takes...."slowly,slowly, catch a monkey"

It looks to me right now, that the likelyhood of all parties being happy, is quite high.

Personally, I wouldn't swap these owners, with any of our competitors, they are relatively young too.....we are blessed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

See Stevenage have gone in with the good "ebening" 

🤦‍♂️

Screenshot_20221129-102201_Facebook.jpg

I guess, when thats all they have to take the piss......Its something.

Its ironic, he can speak 4 languages and most of us struggle with 1...but hey ho!

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Its ironic, he can speak 4 languages and most of us struggle with 1...but hey ho!

Exactly i speak two and to know four is incredible 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There were unfortunately those that didn’t give him the credit he deserved from the off because he wasn’t a big name manager.  

I think Unai is the only manager we’ve ever had where there’s nobody complaining yet. 

Its all about results......and performances.

They are the underlying criteria that sets opinions.

He has presided over 2 league games, with 2 wins, so all, is bound to be well.

If he achieves a win ratio commensurate with his career recordings, he will be with us for a long time.

I am hoping, he secures enough wins initially, to give himself time to build a powerful team....I think he has the ability to do that.

Incremental progress.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You'd be wrong, but you could if you wanted.

What is a top-level manager? I'd have him over 5 or 6 of PL managers right now. He's obviously a much better manager than the guy who replaced him.

Shot himself in the foot taking Norwich on. Silly choice.

The fact that he is plying his trade in the championship probably tells you all that you need to know. He’s a top man Dean and he will forever be remembered with great fondness by most villa fans but there’s absolutely no evidence that he is a top manager. It doesn’t mean we should think any less of the man though. He’s deserved his place in our history.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Unai is so great we can all rise above this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

He looks pleased with Ollie

Managers will always love Ollie, he is one of the fittest players in the league. He needs clever players around him and they all thrive

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â