Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The drills were really slow as well. Its as if he might be drilling things into our players until they become second nature. And then speeding them up. Muscle memory kind of thing. Remember the intensity of the gerrard sessions. All 100 miles an hour. This is different ( but might just be first day back light load ) 

It always bothered me the most under Gerrard to watch the squad on matchdays have incredibly heavy first touches and no movement off the ball.  Looking back on Gerrard's training videos the squad seemed to do a lot of 5 or 7 a side games and then a lot of individual finishing drills...  Compare this to the two videos of Emery so far...  Lots of emphasis on teamwork, movement, and 1-2 passing all around.  

I can't wait for the friendly matches now...  Already sick of turgid group series WC footy...

• Like 1

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I'm at the point now that whatever decision Unai makes, about anything Aston Villa, I just assume it is the correct one!

it is so alien to anything I have ever experienced with this club and my life is markedly less stressful as a result!

Great post. But I think it goes even beyond that. 

The board will know that mid table teams don’t often attract world class managers, so will back him because this doesn’t happen often 

And in a break from normal traditional, the players will know that if they are performing badly fingers are probably going to be pointing at them before their world class manager. 

It’s all set up to be great. I guess the only thing that could throw a spanner in the works is us, the fans. We need to understand what we have and be patient. 

4/5yrs with this bloke and the club will be unrecognisable from the shit we’ve seen over the last 15yrs or so. 

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Deano ❤️ 

I agree but it was more about his affinity with the club than his ability as a manager. Whilst Dean was a good manager with his heart always in the right place, Unai is already an elite manager with a history of success. He’s also a good man who wants to be here long term and grow his relationship and affinity with the club. After a while he’ll fall in love with us and I think that’s something he wants to do. Mutual love. Hopefully he can be our Wenger or Fergie over the next decade or more. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really hope he comes back here one day. Maybe not as first team manager (as that will probably mean we've failed), but in some capacity behind the scenes. My love for the man will forever be unwavering. 

Deano is a top manager.

I'd gladly take him back as a manager one day.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Deano is a top manager.

I'd gladly take him back as a manager one day.

Norwich fans certainly don't think so and you could argue Brentford only improved once he left...

Hes a good man but clearly not a top level manager. 

• Like 2

Our biggest manager signing since MON, hopefully we have more luck in cup finals than his team did.if Unai can pick a trophy up early doors I think we will take off which is obviously what our owners are desperate for in time with the stadium plans

43 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

you could argue Brentford only improved once he left...

You'd be wrong, but you could if you wanted.

43 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

He's a good man but clearly not a top level manager. 

What is a top-level manager? I'd have him over 5 or 6 of PL managers right now. He's obviously a much better manager than the guy who replaced him.

Shot himself in the foot taking Norwich on. Silly choice.

48 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Norwich fans certainly don't think so and you could argue Brentford only improved once he left...

Hes a good man but clearly not a top level manager. 

Couldn't care less what Norwich fans thinks.

29 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You'd be wrong, but you could if you wanted.

What is a top-level manager? I'd have him over 5 or 6 of PL managers right now. He's obviously a much better manager than the guy who replaced him.

Shot himself in the foot taking Norwich on. Silly choice.

Brentford have absolutely gone from strength to strength since Smith left to join us. Now you could absolutely argue that they’d have done the same if Smith had remained in post (particularly with Thomas Frank as his assistant) but that’s just gonna be opinion, the facts are that Brentford have been upwardly mobile since Smith’s exit.

Also, what is a top level Manager? 

Unai Emery (and others of course), someone with a proven track record of managing big teams, big names and winning big trophies.

I think the primary reason we’re so united in being fully behind this appointment is because there’s nowhere for us as a club to hide now, it’s unlikely we’ll be able to blame any future shortcomings on the Manager - he comes here with no caveats on experience or ability, if we fail under Emery then I don’t know who we could succeed under (although I appreciate 2+2 doesn’t always =4 in football world).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Brentford have absolutely gone from strength to strength since Smith left to join us. Now you could absolutely argue that they’d have done the same if Smith had remained in post (particularly with Thomas Frank as his assistant) but that’s just gonna be opinion, the facts are that Brentford have been upwardly mobile since Smith’s exit.

Also, what is a top level Manager? 

Unai Emery (and others of course), someone with a proven track record of managing big teams, big names and winning big trophies.

I think the primary reason we’re so united in being fully behind this appointment is because there’s nowhere for us as a club to hide now, it’s unlikely we’ll be able to blame any future shortcomings on the Manager - he comes here with no caveats on experience or ability, if we fail under Emery then I don’t know who we could succeed under (although I appreciate 2+2 doesn’t always =4 in football world).

Brentford also spent a lot from the sales of Konsa, Maupay, Ollie and Hogan amongst others

Actually we should probably take as much credit for Brentford success😂

• Haha 1

Â