Unai Emery

PeterSw

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree.

But that does not exclude, fans from having an opinion.....and that opinion, could be non populist.

Personally, I am not of the opinion, he can save us, from every poor performance, and I am not of the opinion, when it happens, it's always his fault.

I think he is the best, we could possibly get......but quite apart from the energy sapping campaign, and the testing time of the injury list, not to mention, some unconvincing officiating.....We are WIP

I think the WIP element has nearly as much credence as our lack of energy.

I am not blaming UE for anything, but its clear to me we need strengthening, despite his monumental effort, to get us to where we are.

Some will say, how can we do better, than 4th, next season in view of where we have come from , in such a short time,....and under performing teams, preparing for a better season.

so what am I looking for next season?.....(UE talks constantly about consistency, the second half of the season in particular, has highlighted his view) to be more convincing and not be so easy to beat in certain games. I am looking to maintain our scoring record and reduce our goals against to a level that has us, difficult to play against. That might not have us finishing any higher, but more convincing will have us stronger.

UE is adamant, that he is not engaging in excuses, despite a fairly reasonable need to.....I like that style.

He knows we are WIP, and I am looking forward to the new recruits.

This is an issue you raise often. I actually think you are slightly misinterpreting Emery when he talks about consistency. I have only really heard him use the term when he is comparing us with other clubs with a history of much more massive spending and possibly a greater sense of entitlement to playing in Europe. And he always says we are where we are because we have been more consistent than these teams. I guess he is thinking of teams like Spurs, Man U, West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea. They all have long histories of heavy investment in supposedly European quality players and yet we have won more games and lost fewer games than all of them, scored more goals than all of them bar Newcastle and conceded less than any of them. 

Emery is constantly emphasising to interviewers that we are where we are because we have played more consistently than these other clubs, and that we have earned our position and it is something to be positive about. Obviously we have had lapses but we haven’t had as many as the better resourced clubs. We obviously aren’t as consistent as the top three clubs but that is hardly surprising considering our recent history.

There is a very small risk that we will fail to stay in fourth but fifth would be a good achievement earning us European football again next season. Personally, I can’t really see any reason to be anything but positive about this season however it ends.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasnt sure where to put this.

quite a long video of us training (with not much training), but a nice bit is early in the video the lady who first attended to the medical emergency at Villa Park turns up and gets some lovely attention from Emery and the squad (the lady arriving is around 3 minutes in).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

wasnt sure where to put this.

quite a long video of us training (with not much training), but a nice bit is early in the video the lady who first attended to the medical emergency at Villa Park turns up and gets some lovely attention from Emery and the squad (the lady arriving is around 3 minutes in).

Hahaha, was that Buendia being lifted up at the back for the photoshoot?

• Like 2

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

yep 😄

20 hours ago, briny_ear said:

This is an issue you raise often. I actually think you are slightly misinterpreting Emery when he talks about consistency. I have only really heard him use the term when he is comparing us with other clubs with a history of much more massive spending and possibly a greater sense of entitlement to playing in Europe. And he always says we are where we are because we have been more consistent than these teams. I guess he is thinking of teams like Spurs, Man U, West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea. They all have long histories of heavy investment in supposedly European quality players and yet we have won more games and lost fewer games than all of them, scored more goals than all of them bar Newcastle and conceded less than any of them. 

Emery is constantly emphasising to interviewers that we are where we are because we have played more consistently than these other clubs, and that we have earned our position and it is something to be positive about. Obviously we have had lapses but we haven’t had as many as the better resourced clubs. We obviously aren’t as consistent as the top three clubs but that is hardly surprising considering our recent history.

There is a very small risk that we will fail to stay in fourth but fifth would be a good achievement earning us European football again next season. Personally, I can’t really see any reason to be anything but positive about this season however it ends.

Neither can I...They have exceeded my expectations, already

Maybe it's worth pointing out the difference between observations and criticisms......non of my posts, reference criticism, just suggestions to improve.

But, I am looking towards improving, not standing still. I actually don't think I am misinterpreting Unai's reference to consistency at all.......and it's clear, the first half of the season, we was more consistent than the second half, for many reasons.

I am not attempting to denigrate, what has been a fabulous season, merely attempting to look at ways to improve.....I would imagine the manager is presently doing exactly the same, with his staff,  and not resting on his laurels.

It is feasibly possible to examine ways to improve, and mutually accept what we have done so far has been monumental.....maybe you are misinterpreting, my view.

It's clear unai Emery is a driving force, and is constantly, looking for improvement....something that has been a long time coming.....I am just joining in with him, looking for improvement.

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

yeah Diego picked him up like he was a baby 😂

the rest of this was tough going tbf , like the plot-building dialogue sections of 80s art movies

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 08/05/2024 at 16:35, Jas10 said:

Brilliant...I'm proud of him.

Edited by TRO

He’s got this squad 2 games away from Champions league football , that’s pretty impressive …hopefully he gets some money to bring the gaps in the squad up to the next level required.

for sure he’s dropped a bollock here and there tactically but we are heading in the right direction and with a plan and not a  Gerrard or a Sherwood 

• Like 3

I wonder if he ever regrets the Dendoncker loan at all. It's been completely pointless - has he played even a single minute? - and it feels like we've been left very light in central midfield. Of course no-one could predict Kamara getting a season-ending injury, but it hasn't taken much in the way of injury or suspension to leave us with no fresh options whatsoever. 

• Like 1

IN game I was a bit upset with him about not being pro active.enough... In heat of the moment and frustration.

However when you calm down and look back at it... There is actually sod all anything on the bench could really have done 😞

He probably knows this better than us 🤷🏾‍♂️

Â