Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brighton post match interview he explains his decision to change the shape to get the best out of Danny Ings.  What type of sorcery is this?  Villa managers are supposed to pigeon hole players into their preferred system and watch them struggle! How dare he set up a team to get the best of the players! Emery out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good insight from Mischa on one of the Villa groups. He's probably the best posters on there and very knowledgeable.

" One of the issues with both Dean and Gerrard is they made a point of emphasising the importance of having two quality players in every position …yet only actually utilised their squad if injuries occurred …

Only 14 players had 10 starts or more last season …Emery when at Villarreal that number jumps to 21…

Our substitutions in general were very predictable under Dean and Gerrard …the famous Anwar for Trez swap …

With Emery lots of players see minutes even if it’s as role players…Chukwueze for instance on the face of it doesn’t seem rated by Emery cos he doesn’t start much …but the reality is Emery saw him as a super sub…someone quick and direct to unleash on tired legs …

We’re seeing the use of fullbacks off the bench…

This is the type of manager you don’t buy backups for …you fill your squad with quality options cos he will rotate lineups and in game these players will be role players …there is a tangible use to depth beyond just coming in when someone is injured …

January and beyond will be great when we can add more players to the existing core that we have… "

Sign of a quality manager, he's thinking about football in ways you couldn't imagine. Whereas with this shit ones, you almost feel like you'd do just as bad a job as him. Hell, even I know playing fullbacks so high up and having your 8's cover for them is a horrible idea for example.

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yeah but if he does a good job with us the narrative will quickly become (and rightly so) "he's actually a really good manager and Arsenal were just toxic at the time".

That won’t be soon enough for Chelsea to want him

10 hours ago, Xela said:

2 wins against top 7 teams. 

unai-emery.gif

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our very own Mick McCarthy!!!

" One in the hole, you say?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

tbf MOTD gave a good minute plus solely praising and showing our defensive shape when we were trying to close the game out (ie: when we did the back 5, the back 6 and closed down the angles).

Decent little tidbits tbh.

Emery is the man! 😁

Just watched it myself on MOTD, so organised in defence and Matty Cash also discussed in another interview about one defender going up but one always staying back. The players are loving having a shape, orders and tactics. In Unai we trust 

• Like 2

When he subbed on Young yesterday I was wondering what the hell he was doing. As it happened, Young probably had more touches of the ball in our penalty area than any other player. It was a defensive masterclass to protect our lead and it worked. Whether it would work against the better sides is another question but, for now, it'll do. 

We also have to remember that he's working with a new group of players and maybe those tactics aren't what we will see when he's settled down. Maybe it was a case of needs must for the situation we are in?

If that is the case, it shows just how pragmatic he can be in having a plan b. I'd imagine Emery is the kind of man who has more than just a plan b too! 

For far too long we have been a soft touch. I think that the likes of TRO will enjoy seeing us doing a few dirty things to get/protect a win. If Emery instils that mentality into us I am going to be a happy fan for sure. I'm not a fan of time-wasting and feigning injuries etc but, if you can't beat 'em - join' em! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not had a manager this good since Deano.

Feels so good to feel positive about the club again.

Deano was good for what we had at the time and the situation we were in. But as we established ourselves in the prem he was definitely found out and proved to be quite limited tactically. Of course there appears to have been other factors involved somewhere which we will probably never know about - ie, with the backroom staff. With Emery I think it’s a completely different level. I think there are better standards in place and I feel like if someone was to leave the setup, they could be replaced seamlessly. It’s certainly intriguing to think about how far we could actually go…  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I can’t I have to stop watching King Unai for this bullshit World Cup 

I’m ok with it.  I think having a WC now is BS but the break for us, Villa, I’m ok with.  It gives Unai time with the squad which he’s barely had and it’s now guaranteed that I’m going to have a really happy month feeling good about the Villa and in time for Xmas.  

This past year and even 18 months or more has been football supporting wise incredibly hard, emotional and demoralising but now 2 Emery league wins (3 league wins in four), a fantastic new manager and potentially a great future…. I get to bathe in this wonderfulness for the next month.  

I’m ok with it, still get to still watch a load of football without so much emotional attachment with England.  Then with the Villa players rested, more time for Emery to instilling his ways and then Xmas out the way, I’ll be refreshed….bring it on.

• Like 2

Â