Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

11 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

If it’s positivity you’re looking for, let me assist. Perhaps we’ve spoke to Poch to get an idea if he would be interested. The win v Southampton has stayed our hand briefly and now the Nice story is being leaked by Poch’s agent in an attempt to panic us.

I hope.

Could definitely happen, agents will do the same thing with managers as they do with their players. Poch is not exactly going to be short of suitors as well, we know his preferred place to coach is England however money also talks. Nice have loads of it as well so it should be an interesting week.

Have to say I feel for Favre, he's been out of work for around 2 years and will get dumped from the job after almost 3 months in charge. Pretty shitty considering he got them to 3rd in 2016 in his first stint there.

• Like 1

No way are we sacking him on the back of a solid draw and a win with a clean sheet. 

If he is to go, we need to lose the next 3 which I hope does not happen. 

But maybe you need to break some eggs to make an omlet. 

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Fair enough, Nick. I guess I should better define back channel. I specifically mean external back channels, not internal.

I meant they will be doing both for example they would’ve been talking to Gerrard well before they sacked Smith, they’ll do the same well before they sack Gerrard whether that’s soon or well into the future.  They will always be talking to contacts well before they sack any manager now or the future just like players.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The problem for me is we continue saying, 3-5 more games. How long does it go on for. A win and two losses does he stay? I’d rather look at the bigger picture and the record as a whole. A one nil win against a shocking Southampton side shouldn’t buy more time for me 

Yep and I would be surprised if they look at it in such short spans.  A draw and a win doesn’t wipe away the past.  The Southampton win, while a win wasn’t exactly and advert for keeping him.  The board are surely looking at the bigger picture and see we are regressing over a significant period and will make them think of next steps and potentially a new manager.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

No way are we sacking him on the back of a solid draw and a win with a clean sheet. 

If he is to go, we need to lose the next 3 which I hope does not happen. 

But maybe you need to break some eggs to make an omlet. 

Let’s be honest it wasn’t a solid draw, if city had taken the chances they had would have been 3 or 4, we was again poor and fluked a draw, we got a win against a v.poor Southampton team, we need to pull the trigger now before the Leeds game as we’ll lose that with gerrard in charge and then how many more games are people willing to give him

Edited by rbcuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yep and I would be surprised if they look at it in such short spans.  A draw and a win doesn’t wipe away the past.  The Southampton win, while a win wasn’t exactly and advert for keeping him.  The board are surely looking at the bigger picture and see we are regressing over a significant period and will make them think of next steps and potentially a new manager.

I agree that what they should be doing. Still I fear that the last two lucky result have given him until the WC break.

We could then have a repeat, lose the next five and then win the last two before the WC. Then everybody will go mad and say he have turned the corner, and should be given more time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

I agree that what they should be doing. Still I fear that the last two lucky result have given him until the WC break.

We could then have a repeat, lose the next five and then win the last two before the WC. Then everybody will go mad and say he have turned the corner, and should be given more time.

There is no way he would last through another 5 defeats in a row. Especially when you look at the opposition.

Lets be sensible.  

I've made peace with the fact that Gerrard will be here for the rest of the season, doing just enough to keep us lower middle half. I also suspect he'll start next season as well. So it's a couple of seasons of boring, dull football to look forward to.

What a time to be alive

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, picicata said:

I've made peace with the fact that Gerrard will be here for the rest of the season, doing just enough to keep us lower middle half. I also suspect he'll start next season as well. So it's a couple of seasons of boring, dull football to look forward to.

What a time to be alive

As terrible as it sounds I am the same at this stage, Purslow will not sack his golden boy and we will be stuck in the bottom 8 for the next 2 seasons

Unless NSWE get the finger out and take leadership over Purslow we will be no better than we were under McLeish/Lambert just spending more

I wish this was all just a bad dream 😂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, picicata said:

What a time to be alive

I'd have thought they're playing with fire with season tickets sales but maybe Purslow has gained confidence after only 300 or so didn't renew.

1 hour ago, picicata said:

What a time to be alive

He will not last the season.  A draw against City, the Leicester game being postponed, and a narrow win against a poor Southampton team gave him a stay of execution.  But as our performances aren't particularly great, it's only a matter of time before we hit another losing run.  At which point he'll be sacked.

• Like 1

Lose against Leeds and he should be gone, regardless of the last 2 results. We can’t be waiting to hit another 3-5 game winless patch.

I’d be comfortable with him being sacked on the back of that draw and win if the right replacement has been lined up. Screw what anyone else thinks.

The sacking of Nigel Adkins by Southampton after a 2-2 draw against Chelsea and unbeaten in five was one of the most controversial of recent times in order to bring in no other than Poch, and look how that turned out.

Edited by fightoffyour

Gerrard will get sacked it's a 100% given- the fans are rarely wrong. We know what we see and whether there is progress being made.

What we are doing now by sitting on our hands is mithering and wasting precious time. All those managers we sacked previously have never gone onto anything bigger- the same with apply with Gerrard.  

I wish our board were more assertive re managerial appointments.

Poch is start to the way to the Holy Grail. So what if he gets poached in a year or two- it means he will have done well, developed our players , thus increasing their values. We very rarely have managers for longer than 3 years in anycase

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There is no way he would last through another 5 defeats in a row. Especially when you look at the opposition.

Lets be sensible.  

If we are sensible why are Gerrard still manager? It make no sense to continue this failed project, except for the good start, it have been downhill ever since.

We have to face the reality that Gerrard is “protected”, and will not get sacked.

Support Aston Villa Women, for the time being.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The problem for me is we continue saying, 3-5 more games. How long does it go on for. A win and two losses does he stay? I’d rather look at the bigger picture and the record as a whole. A one nil win against a shocking Southampton side shouldn’t buy more time for me 

Yeah I'd have had more faith in Gerrard had we played Saints off the park and lost. The result means little what we need are signs that he can get us playing consistently good football, you don't get a top half/top 8 finish in the premier league by playing toilet every week and occasionally nicking a win.

• Like 3