Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, gatecrasha said:

Gerrard will get sacked it's a 100% given- the fans are rarely wrong. We know what we see and whether there is progress being made.

What we are doing now by sitting on our hands is mithering and wasting precious time. All those managers we sacked previously have never gone onto anything bigger- the same with apply with Gerrard.  

I wish our board were more assertive re managerial appointments.

Poch is start to the way to the Holy Grail. So what if he gets poached in a year or two- it means he will have done well, developed our players , thus increasing their values. We very rarely have managers for longer than 3 years in anycase

And it's always because they are sacked.

I wonder when we last lost a manager because he was poached by another team for performing really well? Even MON walked out.

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I wonder when we last lost a manager because he was poached by another team for performing really well? Even MON walked out.

Taylor when he was poached by England in 1990.  Every single manager since then was sacked or quit.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Ron in 1982 and Taylor in 1990, both left to takeover the England job. No other Villa manager have left to take up a manager position at a different club or country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't exactly feel this, in this latest window.....I did in June, but as the months rolled by melancholy set in.

I don't exactly understand this summer widow, if I am being honest.....did something spook them?.....did the removal of sub standard players, delay us?.....Has some of the questionable signings, took their toll?

for me, an underwhelming summer transfer window, blighted by Carlos's injury, which is no ones fault, now Karmara, to boot.

I think it might also be not wanting to give Gerrard too much sway in the window. Improving the quality whilst shipping out deadwood. Done to an extent but I don’t think they wanted to invest too heavily with the poor start. The next manager will be heavily backed though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I think it might also be not wanting to give Gerrard too much sway in the window. Improving the quality whilst shipping out deadwood. Done to an extent but I don’t think they wanted to invest too heavily with the poor start. The next manager will be heavily backed though. 

could be, but................

Maybe thats one of the reasons for the poor start.

If that is the case, I would find that concerning, why would an unknown manager, be backed heavily, in their thinking?( sack him now, if thats the case)....when many folk think, its down to not getting the best out of what we have......that seems to be a conflcting view, just saying.

Lucas Digne is the only signing under his stewardship, I would question.

3 are cover, Chambers, Bednarek, Ludwig.......Carlos and Kamara are champions league quality, Coutinho while an enigma is Elite class.

I would find it strange to think, that has tested their confidence.......what part does Johan Lange play or Christian Purslow?

The same could be said under DS's reign.

I find recruitment with mixed views.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yeah I'd have had more faith in Gerrard had we played Saints off the park and lost. The result means little what we need are signs that he can get us playing consistently good football, you don't get a top half/top 8 finish in the premier league by playing toilet every week and occasionally nicking a win.

When Mourinho was sacked the first time, it wasn’t because they were losing games but because they played boring, albeit, effective football. Roman moaned that he expected more attractive football for the money he’d spent. Jose shrugged and said something like, “Tough, my way wins trophies.”  He sacked him there and then in the tunnel. Harsh but fair I’d say. 

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

could be, but................

Maybe thats one of the reasons for the poor start.

If that is the case, I would find that concerning, why would an unknown manager, be backed heavily, in their thinking?( sack him now, if thats the case)....when many folk think, its down to not getting the best out of what we have......that seems to be a conflcting view, just saying.

Lucas Digne is the only signing under his stewardship, I would question.

3 are cover, Chambers, Bednarek, Ludwig.......Carlos and Kamara are champions league quality, Coutinho while an enigma is Elite class.

I would find it strange to think, that has tested their confidence.......what part does Johan Lange play or Christian Purslow?

The same could be said under DS's reign.

I find recruitment with mixed views.

They'll know that a transfer kitty will be key to enticing any decent manager here. Pochettino isn't going to sign up on the basis of working with what we have. 

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't exactly feel this, in this latest window.....I did in June, but as the months rolled by melancholy set in.

I don't exactly understand this summer widow, if I am being honest.....did something spook them?.....did the removal of sub standard players, delay us?.....Has some of the questionable signings, took their toll?

for me, an underwhelming summer transfer window, blighted by Carlos's injury, which is no ones fault, now Karmara, to boot.

The last to summer windows have started well, then nothing, before last minute panic transaction, that are very questionable.

The money is sort of there, we haven’t closed shop like Leicester, but we aren’t throwing around money like Nottingham or West Ham.

Maybe we need a better sporting director or better scouting to improve what we do in the transfer windows.

It have been mention that the owners want money to give to the next manager, but I can’t see that, because Gerrard is still here.

I don't think Gerrard gets the whole season if we carry on the way we are, Purslow's mate or not. Someone mentioned how Edens operated before the Bucks won the NBA championship, I don't see why he wouldn't go over Purslow to sack Gerrard, I watch both sports so I know there are things different however usually a GM from a NBA team would dismiss a head coach rather than the owner. Unless the owner is clearing house by getting rid of both the GM and his assistants and the head coach.

I would not be surprised if there has been conversations had already with other managers to gauge their interest, someone like Poch we know he wants to return to the prem and he may need a bit more convincing before we do anything. This isn't ITK info or anything I'm just making a guess and using Smith getting sacked as an example. We clearly had Gerrard at the top (or Purslow did) and Gerrard himself probably knew he was going to be the next Villa coach.

Edited by Rustibrooks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

The last to summer windows have started well, then nothing, before last minute panic transaction, that are very questionable.

The money is sort of there, we haven’t closed shop like Leicester, but we aren’t throwing around money like Nottingham or West Ham.

Maybe we need a better sporting director or better scouting to improve what we do in the transfer windows.

It have been mention that the owners want money to give to the next manager, but I can’t see that, because Gerrard is still here.

I think the answer is in that statement. We are all competing for a limited pool of players, and agents see the money being thrown about currently, and it's a bit mental.

I think this has a great influence on how we conduct ourselves during the transfer window, not panicking but rather doing what the recruiting department sees as somewhat more tempered buying of less attractive targets that are less costly but can do a decent job in a specific role. 

I'm just guessing here, but to put into a different perspective and applying the principle that everyone is trying to do the best job they can given the circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I don't think Gerrard gets the whole season if we carry on the way we are, Purslow's mate or not. Someone mentioned how Edens operated before the Bucks won the NBA, I don't see why he wouldn't go over Purslow to sack Gerrard, I watch both sports so I know there is things different however usually a GM from a NBA team would dismiss a head coach rather than the owner. Unless the owner is clearing house by getting rid of both the GM and his assistants and the head coach.

I would not be surprise if there has been conversations had already with other managers to gauge their interest, someone like Poch we know he wants to return to the prem and he may need a bit more convincing before we do anything. This isn't ITK info or anything I'm just making a guess and using Smith getting sacked as an example. We clearly had Gerrard at the top (or Purslow did) and Gerrard himself probably knew he was going to be the next Villa coach.

Agreed. They seem to be way too professional for letting the slide get too bad over time. They might have a bit more patience than us fans, but that could be down to them having an information advantage over us. For all we now, the lads might love the gaffer and what he's trying to do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Ron in 1982 and Taylor in 1990, both left to takeover the England job. No other Villa manager have left to take up a manager position at a different club or country.

Ron Saunders didnt, he went across the city a few months later

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

The Sun newspaper (yes i know!)  is saying Poch is going to snub Nice and still hold out for a Premier League job.

I know you mentioned it’s the sun but one or two other journalists have linked him/ suggested him for the Villa job.

Mt brother knows a couple of ‘intermediaries’ and they all leak stuff to the press so it might not be as much ‘a pinch of salt’ as it initially seems.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

The Sun newspaper (yes i know!)  is saying Poch is going to snub Nice and still hold out for a Premier League job.

Let’s hope it’s us, as supposedly we held talks before the city game with him, just hope we manage to get him as keeping gerrard for much longer it’ll be another wasted season watching the shit he’s currently producing 

I think we have a realistic chance of appointing Poch. If we don’t appoint him or someone on a similar level and end up with someone uninspiring like Sean Dyche in a few months time, then Purslow needs to be asked why?

I personally no longer think that we’re a well run, ambitious club on an upward trajectory. Purslow sacked Dean for not progressing and yet we are now regressing. I expect him to either resign or be sacked on the same basis. 

• Like 1