Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

I hope we have lined up pochettino come the Monday as can’t see gerrard getting anything at Leeds as much as I’d love a win, with him in charge

Didn't we beat them 3-0 at their ground last year under Gerrard?

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Didn't we beat them 3-0 at their ground last year under Gerrard?

Sure did.

We've been largely terrible from that game to now. It was really odd we didn't kick on from those decent three results middle of last season.

We'd battled at Brighton, swept aside an awful Saints, then Leeds was actually a decent all-round performance I think.

Don't have a clue what happened.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

We ain’t doing that this season, we are alot worse now than when that game was

Did you see us getting a draw against Man City?

I actually remember when we were on a bad run last season, people saying " I can't see us getting another point " etc.

Then we won 3 on the spin or something like that.

Now we might get turgid/boring performances, but we are certainly capable of getting results IMO

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually remember when we were on a bad run last season, people saying " I can't see us getting another point " etc.

Now we might get turgid/boring performances, but we are certainly capable of getting results IMO

Yes I was there and it was all city, could have been 3 or 4 if they taken the chances they had

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes JV we could get a result just like any team can beat another team on the day. But for one, the occasional decent result won’t get us anywhere near where we want to be and secondly the question Purslow and the board should be asking is, would the appointment of an alternative manager, who we could realistically appoint, significantly increase our chances of achieving what our oft repeated ambitions are?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sne said:

Be extremely deflated and disappointed if we scour the world of football and land on Sean Dyche as our manager to lead us to European football and global growth as a club.

Probably be a solid choice if the aim is to avoid relegation thou.

I’d like to see what Dyche could do at a club with resources like we have. He’s obviously a very good manager and players like playing for him. However, having said that, I don’t want it to be here. 

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I’d like to see what Dyche could do at a club with resources like we have. He’s obviously a very good manager and players like playing for him. However, having said that, I don’t want it to be here. 

See what Southgate is doing at England with 1 Billion pounds worth of resource . That's what Dyche would do with more resources. 

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

That old chestnut doing the rounds. 

It wouldn't matter what players he had at his disposal, Dyche would still be channelling his inner Bobby Gould.

Look at the players Jack Charlton had at ROI. 

Dyche playing ticka- tacka, more chance of seeing a Rocking - horse shit.

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

That old chestnut doing the rounds. 

It wouldn't matter what players he had at his disposal, Dyche would still be channelling his inner Bobby Gould.

Look at the players Jack Charlton had at ROI. 

Dyche playing ticka- tacka, more chance of seeing a Rocking - horse shit.

I don’t know. Dyche always said his hands were tied by the players he had at his disposal/could attract to the club. I’d just be interested to see it but as I said, not here.

And as for Charlton, he never intended to play any other way. He always said as much. 

Edited by sparrow1988

I think Dyche did an incredible job at Burnley with what he had. He kept a championship team in the Prem for years! Yes he could have tried to play better football like others such as Swansea, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Fulham, even Bournemouth. But there is no way he would have kept them up for so long. 

Having said all that. No way should he ever be recruited by Villa. Completely wrong profile.

The worry for me is this. While we have managed to attract some quality players over the last couple of years, whether that be through the pull of SG’s reputation as a player, the much vaulted project or both, how long will that last? Will players be attracted when it becomes apparent that his management ability isn’t as good as his ability as a player and how many times can we repeat the ambitious club aiming for Europe and being competitive domestically line, while the reality is we are bumbling around mid table looking closer to a relegation battle than qualifying for Europe or winning anything. 

Once we stop being attractive to players we’re trying to sign, we’ll also be vulnerable to losing players who start to become disillusioned with what is becoming a blind alley to their careers. We’ll certainly be easy fodder to greedy agents. We are or at least quickly become a club that is no longer ambitious and growing with momentum but a rich club that lacks direction and is stagnant. 

Appointing a top quality manager can turn this around quite quickly but looking indecisive whilst other clubs take action will only confirm our stagnation. The CEO needs to address this situation quickly and decisively. Unless he’s part of the problem? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don’t know. Dyche always said his hands were tied by the players he had at his disposal/could attract to the club. I’d just be interested to see it but as I said, not here.

And as for Charlton, he never intended to play any other way. He always said as much. 

So did Graham Taylor, Dave Bassett, and all the rest of the "get it up as quickly as possible" brigade.

I always wondered why Neil Warnock never went to Chelsea when offered the chance. Maybe he was concerned how the Chelsea fans would take to his style of play.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Dyche did an incredible job at Burnley with what he had. He kept a championship team in the Prem for years! Yes he could have tried to play better football like others such as Swansea, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Fulham, even Bournemouth. But there is no way he would have kept them up for so long. 

Having said all that. No way should he ever be recruited by Villa. Completely wrong profile.

Agreed - I can see ending up at a club teetering near the bottom for a Jan rescue job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

The worry for me is this. While we have managed to attract some quality players over the last couple of years, whether that be through the pull of SG’s reputation as a player, the much vaulted project or both, how long will that last? Will players be attracted when it becomes apparent that his management ability isn’t as good as his ability as a player and how many times can we repeat the ambitious club aiming for Europe and being competitive domestically line, while the reality is we are bumbling around mid table looking closer to a relegation battle than qualifying for Europe or winning anything. 

Once we stop being attractive to players we’re trying to sign, we’ll also be vulnerable to losing players who start to become disillusioned with what is becoming a blind alley to their careers. We’ll certainly be easy fodder to greedy agents. We are or at least quickly become a club that is no longer ambitious and growing with momentum but a rich club that lacks direction and is stagnant. 

Appointing a top quality manager can turn this around quite quickly but looking indecisive whilst other clubs take action will only confirm our stagnation. The CEO needs to address this situation quickly and decisively. Unless he’s part of the problem? 

I think we are right on the edge of this at the moment.

We have a decent amount of experienced players in our squad. No one will convince me that they cannot see through Gerrard. As will any quality player that we try to sign.

When we started the season badly it is noticeable that the quality of players we bought at that time was considerably lower.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think we are right on the edge of this at the moment.

We have a decent amount of experienced players in our squad. No one will convince me that they cannot see through Gerrard. As will any quality player that we try to sign.

When we started the season badly it is noticeable that the quality of players we bought at that time was considerably lower.

The last sentence is very true. Almost as if someone at the club has realised that we won’t get the full value out of any player, regardless of quality or cost under the present managerial team.

SJM for example hasn’t really been the same player since we were promoted, perhaps he’s reached his level. But he continues to do very well in a Scotland shirt, despite the general quality of players around him being lower than PL quality. I could see him moving to another PL club and him reaching a much higher level. Something that could seriously come back and bite us on the arse if the present situation is allowed to continue for much longer. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meanwhile in Watford.

FB_IMG_1664194953658-min.jpg

5th in 12? That's impressive. What's the record? Can they fire Bilic before he's even managed a game for them? That'd be really impressive. 

• Haha 1