Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why?

There arelots of examples of former very good former players struggling with inexperience when they get a managerial position based on their ability as a player rather than a manager. I’m not saying Ashley Young can’t become a great manager, but as yet there is no proof either way and as in most jobs, starting low and working up gives invaluable experience which can only be extremely useful in the future. 

On 19/09/2022 at 02:12, viivvaa66 said:

de Zerbi have a lot more experience than Gerrard, close to 10 years as a manager.

de Zerbi have both tasted success and failure, should be better in handle setbacks.

by managing Sassuolo, he have experience to manage a club in about the same position as Brighton.

It is still a gamble,  but Brighton have more reason to be hopeful, compare to us when we employed Gerrard.

Brighton have a very settled way of playing now so it's an incredible job for a new manager to take. De Zebri won't be changing much if he's clever. Would've been much riskier I think for Brighton to appoint Sean Dyche as he'd have switched back to 4-4-2 and that would've unsettled plenty in their squad given how long they've been playing 3atb.

When you look at their frontline it's similar to us. Front 3 of Welbeck, Trossard and McAlister is similar options to what we have to call upon yet they're playing very well and regularly scoring while we just look a bunch of strangers in final third. They certainly aren't relying on just the wing backs to provide all the width whenever I watch them.

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

There arelots of examples of former very good former players struggling with inexperience when they get a managerial position based on their ability as a player rather than a manager. I’m not saying Ashley Young can’t become a great manager, but as yet there is no proof either way and as in most jobs, starting low and working up gives invaluable experience which can only be extremely useful in the future. 

But he's just doing his coaching badges, who said anything about him being a manager?  You need coaching badges just to be a coach in the PL.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I would be more than happy to see Thomas Frank given a go?

I enjoy watching Brentford play, he seems forward thinking and quite clearly can develop players - you only have to look at how Toney has improved in a short space of time.

As I've said before it's strange in past months seeing Potter so heavily promoted yet someone like Frank is barely ever mentioned.

He's got Brentford up and kept them up and finishing top 10 is realistic this season with form Toney is in. I assume he knows Lange and he obviously has managed Ollie and Konsa and got good form out of them.

No idea if he'd walk out on Brentford mid season for us but I'd be very surprised if he isn't shortlised.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Would never take frank. 

Not the elite level manager this club badly needs right now. 

Beyond Poch and arguably Rodgers what other elite managers are realistically available, we aren't appointing Zidane or Tuchel anytime soon let's be honest.

Sampaoli would be very exciting but when circumstances weren't right with Argentina he completely bombed so that would be my concern, ideally that type of manager needs a pre season to get his ideas across and learn the language a little as he dosen't speak English either.

It's not like we'd have 10 elite managers ready to fight for the job as soon as we sack Gerrard, Pochettino could easily not be interested if we put feelers out to his agent.

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Young will surely just join the coaching staff when he retires like John Terry did. That's the way for him to learn and then after two years he takes a job in football league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

As I've said before it's strange in past months seeing Potter so heavily promoted yet someone like Frank is barely ever mentioned.

I think the reason is that Brentford are considered to be a fairly unique set up and the manager is just seen as the figurehead. The system is the success not so much the manager. You could arguably point at Deano as evidence of this. Although Potter’s success at Brighton could equally be described in a similar vein. We’ll soon find out, Chelsea aren’t exactly noted for their patience. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the reason is that Brentford are considered to be a fairly unique set up and the manager is just seen as the figurehead. The system is the success not so much the manager. You could arguably point at Deano as evidence of this. Although Potter’s success at Brighton could equally be described in a similar vein. We’ll soon find out, Chelsea aren’t exactly noted for their patience. 

Manager still has chance to tweak the style/system even if they're not making the signings.

If you saw enough of Brighton under Chris Hughton you'd note it's a 360 degree turn to how they played under Potter.

DS was solid at Brentford but in his three years there they never made top 6 once. Frank comes in and they make play offs pretty quickly and then went up the following season.

We have Lange here apparently making some signings so don't see why it's not a bad thing if Frank would just concentrate on the first team squad and promoting some youth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Manager still has chance to tweak the style/system even if they're not making the signings.

If you saw enough of Brighton under Chris Hughton you'd note it's a 360 degree turn to how they played under Potter.

DS was solid at Brentford but in his three years there they never made top 6 once. Frank comes in and they make play offs pretty quickly and then went up the following season.

We have Lange here apparently making some signings so don't see why it's not a bad thing if Frank would just concentrate on the first team squad and promoting some youth.

I don’t disagree with that at all Chris. I was just giving suggestions as to why I think Frank doesn’t get considered in the same way that Potter does. There’s a chance he’ll move on at some point and be a success. No managerial appointment is without risk as we all know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Man it'll be a shame if Poch goes to Nice. Basically proves we could have got him here.

The mismanagement since Grealish left should absolutely mean Purslow gets sacked.

I'm surprised he's in discussion with them.  Leaving PSG to join Nice would be like leaving Man City and then managing West Ham.

Maybe he want's to buy a holiday home on the French Riveria.

Edited by duke313

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Man it'll be a shame if Poch goes to Nice. Basically proves we could have got him here.

The mismanagement since Grealish left should absolutely mean Purslow gets sacked.

The current situation is leading there I think, I’m just concerned there may be a conflict of interest as I’m sure he some sort of financial stake in the club.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Why would he need to? His man has picked up a win and a draw in his last two… no thoughts on approaching new managers here! 

I think it would be an amazing level of incompetence if the board were not already having talks with potential replacements, in fact I would lose complete faith in NSWE if that was actually the case.