Ratings & Reactions: Leeds v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/22 at 22:59

OK ... the negative stuff first. Villa, in my opinion, would do better if we played as a fast-break team. Letting the opposition team set up the defence is not helping us one bit.

On the whole, I don't think anyone played badly as individuals.

Martinez had a solid game; another clean sheet. Did what he had to do.

Young, I thought he had a great game. I understand why people would have the PotM.

Konsa, he looked a lot better at right back than centre back. Bednarek, played well enough.

Mings, my PotM, pretty much solid. Just about won everything he had to.

Augustinsson, solid first outing.

Ramsey, a quiet game except for the moments he was exciting, I think I prefer to see him on the left. @limpid please note it's Ramsey, that's two weeks in a row now.

Luiz, a great game.

McGinn, a decent performance I thought. Looked awkward but was effective.

Bailey was OK, I think I would prefer to see Beundia start over Bailey.

Watkins as usual a great work rate. Ings was not on long enough to assess properly.

Coutinho, moments of brilliance, I do wonder when it is (or if) it is going to really click.

I enjoyed the game, and the wife brought a cup of tea.

Edited by fruitvilla

17 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Like Ings? Who was left on the bench for 82 minutes 

As I said I wasn't having Ings as the person we need, I don't think he's been good or mobile enough for us, I would have much preferred Archer come on and given a chance out of the strikers we have available 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

OK ... the negative stuff first. Villa, in my opinion, would do better if we played as a fast-break team. Letting the opposition team set up the defence is not helping us one bit.

On the whole, I don't think anyone played badly as individuals.

Martinez had a solid game; another clean sheet. Did what he had to do.

Young, I thought he had a great game. I understand why people would have the PotM.

Konsa, he looked a lot better at right back than centre back. Bednarek, played well enough.

Mings, my PotM, pretty much solid. Just about won everything he had to.

Augustinsson, solid first outing.

Ramsey, a quiet game except for the moments he was exciting, I think I prefer to see him on the left. @limpid please note it's Ramsey, that's two weeks in a row now.

Luiz, a great game.

McGinn, a decent performance I thought. Looked awkward but was effective.

Bailey was OK, I think I would prefer to see Beundia start over Bailey.

Watkins as usual a great work rate. Ings was not on long enough to assess properly.

Coutinho, moments of brilliance, I do wonder when it is (or if) it is going to really click.

I enjoyed the game, and the wife brought a cup of tea.

I can’t argue with your view, however, that just wasn’t my take away from the game, we are terribly disjointed. We just don’t look like putting together any credible attacks. We should be so much further forward with the project by now, especially given the quality of players that we have, that can only be down to the set up a management?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TomC said:

Good point. His lack of skill on the ball was exposed.

I don't want to be too harsh on him. On the defensive side, he got two great last-ditch touches in the box which saved possible goals. Even attacking, he did quite well the first couple of times he got the ball, because he waited for Leeds to touch him and then fell over to win a free-kick. The problem is that once Leeds got wise to that and just didn't touch him then he obviously doesn't have enough skill to play as a PL right back, so the main advantage of being 11 v 10 - that of having the ability to create overloads - was significantly reduced because he can't beat anybody. 

It's up for debate how much of this is Gerrard's fault. On the one hand, it clearly isn't his fault that Augustinsson got injured, and maybe we'd have won that with him on the pitch. On the other, it is Gerrard's fault that there's no right-back on the bench, and before the match, when he thought 'what will I do if Young or Augustinsson get injured' he said to himself 'it'll be fine because Konsa can play right-back' and that basically isn't true in this league. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

We can blame him for the most boring football I think I’ve ever seen 

We played against 10 men against a poor side and barely created anything 

19 shots on goal, 12 from inside the penalty area with an xg of nearly 3, but we barely created anything?  I think you may have missed some of the game.

I'm not saying we were good, or SG is any good, but we created more than enough to comfortably win that game, but for extraordinarily poor finishing.

Â