Pre match thread

VillaChris

30 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Wasn’t Martinez an illness rather than an injury? If so, I imagine they’ll give him some  Imodium and send him out 

Doesn't that turn everything into farts too? He mightn't get crowded as much on corners :thumb:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Looking at the tickets on the OS it looks like this might be a sell out as only 20odd tickets left in the whole of VP… surprising for a Friday night, on the telly, when we’ve not been playing the best. We do really have the best fans! 

or people absolutely desperate to spend two hours free from the cult of mourn hub! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First game I've been able to attend this season. Don't know if I am excited or dreading it tbh. Just hope we play well and get a win.

Any minutes silence that I will be taking part in will be for my dog that sadly passed away last week and not for some over privileged old bag that I didn't even know  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Looking at the tickets on the OS it looks like this might be a sell out as only 20odd tickets left in the whole of VP… surprising for a Friday night, on the telly, when we’ve not been playing the best. We do really have the best fans! 

We are a bunch of sadists. Self flagellation would be more comfortable. 

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I always want us to win but if tonight is a loss I really hope the owners see sense and get rid of Gerrard.

I wouldn't mind not getting any points if we actually played good football for 90 minutes, at least then there might be a reason to have some faith int he current version of the project. As it is playing shit and grinding out a win would be just as pointless as playing shit and losing. We either need to see Gerrard is capable of getting this group to play or he needs to go.

Emi

Young.           Chambers.      Mings            Digne

Luiz           Kamara

Captain McUndroppable

Coutinho                                                          Buendia

INgs 

Id give McGann a go in the advanced role, more lea way with error and I think he'd love a go in the AM role again, I think asking him to play as a CM fullback hybrid (whatever the f**k Gerrard is playing with) isn't suited to him at all.

I want Coutinho and Buendia on the pitch, together, just out them on it, free roles if you have to just put them on the pitch and let the magic happen

Ings (against Southampton and just a better finisher and positional play, with the South Americans behind him)

harsh on Bailey but what can do? Id prefer McGann dropped, Em in the middle and Bailey on the wing but if we must have Mcginn then I'm going with this.

Gerrard will play 2-1-1-1--4-1

If Gerrard has anything about him he'll keep the same tactics we used against Man City and start building on that. McGinn should also be benched. 

Emi
Young - Konsa - Mings - Digne
  Dendoncker - Kamara - Luiz
    Bailey - Watkins - Ramsey

Will he do anything like that? I'm going to guess probably not and we'll be a complete shambles again tonight. 

I think Emi will play, but in the very unlikely event that neither of our senior keepers makes it, I think Filip Marschall is as good a prospect as we've had come through as a keeper in a long time. I don't think he's ready for this by any means, but he's blummin' good and I don't think he'd let us down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worried that at home the slippy one will insist on his failed midfield 3 of Ramsey mccginn and kamara.

As 99.999% of villa fans are hoping for

Kamara luiz and either Ramsey or dendoncker to make the spine solid.

Could be shocked but nowadays I doubt it.

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Worried that at home the slippy one will insist on his failed midfield 3 of Ramsey mccginn and kamara.

As 99.999% of villa fans are hoping for

Kamara luiz and either Ramsey or dendoncker to make the spine solid.

Could be shocked but nowadays I doubt it.

Gerrard's been hauling McGinn off earlier and earlier in games. I think maybe he finally realises that it isn't working. It's amazing how much more solid we look in midfield simply with Luiz in place of McGinn.

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed though.