Pre match thread

VillaChris

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Expect they have discussed together with PL and thus the PL will release a similar statement about our game shortly

Isn't the issue with the Prem games for this coming weekend to do with police numbers?  No such problem for the smaller leagues in the statement.

6 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

I assume that there will be no 2 minutes silence or singing of the national anthem at this weekends fixtures as the reason they called off last weekend was because they were worried that the moronic elements amongst football fans would have booed and jeered throughout thus embarrassing the football authorities!

Scousers will probably be at it! 

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Isn't the issue with the Prem games for this coming weekend to do with police numbers?  No such problem for the smaller leagues in the statement.

Just London based games, so I assume the rest will go ahead

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Gerrard getting the sack is back on the menu boys!

Only if Purslow realises that Gerrard is not good enough. Every sane football person have gotten by now, so you wonder how bad we need to be against Southampton before he get sacked. I already have started to worry about the team selection, I’m sure it will be a new level of stupidity. And the match will be on the tv too, that means all of England get a chance to laugh at us. 

Rumour now is that some games (including ours) may get canned due to a shortage of outside broadcast equipment and operators, as they're required for the funeral. If Sky can't arrange a crew to cover a match on a Friday night and then another event 3 days later, I'd suggest they're in the wrong business. If I was Villa, I'd be telling Sky that come what may the game will be going ahead - if they're not there to cover it, tough titty......and we still want paying, by the way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wedge said:

Forgive me if your post was a sarcastic one, but elements of our fanbase are so weird at times, how hard is it to just get behind our team for 90 minutes rather than fantasise about it going wrong so the manager gets the sack?

I'm not convinced by Gerrard either yet - he's learning on the job and I'm not sure that's right at a club as big as ours - but we'll still be Villa fans whether we win 5-0 or lose 5-0 on Friday and let's face it, in Feb 2019 we were 13th in the Championship so we've all known worse (that's as bad as it's got for me but I'm not 30 years old yet, my old man remembers - and actually really fondly recalls - the third division days!) The amount of adult Villa fans I see wetting the bed is honestly embarrassing when we're in a great place in terms of solvency (we were closer than people think to going bust in 2018 before NSWE saved us). I dream of a home fanbase that for the 90 minute just gets behind them no matter what like you see on the continent. I've been to a couple of games in Central Europe this calendar year, Slavia Prague being notable in the sense that the support was immense despite the fact the team were behind for most of the game, it was almost irrelevant what was happening on the pitch.

I support Aston Villa, not Steven Gerrard.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 3

Can see Coutinho and Ings starting this.

Coutinho been on the bench last few and was better v Man. City. Home game v Southampton last season was comfortably his best 70 minutes for us, they couldn't pick him up in midfield all game.

And we surely will create chances so would rather have Ings v his old club on the end of them rather than Ollie. 

Can still have Bailey one side and Ramsey the other, please no shoehorning McGinn into this though. 

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can see Coutinho and Ings starting this.

Coutinho been on the bench last few and was better v Man. City. Home game v Southampton last season was comfortably his best 70 minutes for us, they couldn't pick him up in midfield all game.

And we surely will create chances so would rather have Ings v his old club on the end of them rather than Ollie. 

Can still have Bailey one side and Ramsey the other, please no shoehorning McGinn into this though. 

I certainly see merit in this. Watkins won’t be dropped though - he was excellent against Man City. 

Do you remember when we used to have matches that used  to kick off at 3pm on Saturdays. What a barmy notion.

Old man shouting at sky I know.

We usually  struggle when we are expected to win. It will be a totally different set up to the City game as we will have  to take the initiative and could be in a danger to the counter attacks. 

However being unusually optimistic and going for a 2-1 win. Watkins and Ramsey.

A win and a good performance would be a boost for those championing Gerrard. I think it would mean he’d earn himself more time, how much I don’t know.

A defeat and I think he’s in real trouble. Poor start, international break looming, other clubs already making changes…

With that in mind, a middling draw with us remaining in purgatory is nailed on.

• Like 1