Pre match thread

VillaChris

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

A win and a good performance would be a boost for those championing Gerrard. I think it would mean he’d earn himself more time, how much I don’t know.

A defeat and I think he’s in real trouble. Poor start, international break looming, other clubs already making changes…

With that in mind, a middling draw with us remaining in purgatory is nailed on.

I'd sack him with just a draw. One win in 7, no momentum at all from the point v Man. City and yet another season of mediocre home form at VP.

It's a shame we've got to a point where we're analyzing a manager game by game but his fault for not winning many matches at all in last six months.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mrchnry said:

£44 to watch crap football during a cost of living crisis. Thats why there are tickets left. 

Don't underestimate that it's a Friday night game with an 8pm kick off

There will be people that love it but there'll also be a few people who have no interest in that, night games were always a ball ache for me and that was me only working in an office in malvern and finishing at 5.30, the infrastructure around the ground and the West Midlands at large made it shit, I missed kick offs a few times which is mad really 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't underestimate that it's a Friday night game with an 8pm kick off

There will be people that love it but there'll also be a few people who have no interest in that, night games were always a ball ache for me and that was me only working in an office in malvern and finishing at 5.30, the infrastructure around the ground and the West Midlands at large made it shit, I missed kick offs a few times which is mad really 

Lots of people don't live nearby as well, I live around 2 hours drive away and midweek games are just a total no go unless I have the full day off work and an either another off the next day or an easy day somehow. That 2 hour drive becomes a 4 hour drive once 5pm looms and days off work is a sacrifice that's only really going to be made for big games, and with the cost of living crisis even then only if you're lucky enough to be able to afford it

Edit : in saying that 2000 seats left (mainly singles) a few days before a Friday night game isn't really too bad, I'd imagine we'll be down to the hundreds by kick off as well

Edited by weedman
  • Like 1

I feel like the bond between the players, management and supporters was mended somewhat after the City game. I am hopeful we can take that into Southampton on Friday, get behind the lads and kickstart our season. Villa Park under the lights with a late kickoff is always a good occasion. Southampton were also one of the teams we absolutely took to pieces under Gerrard last year, so I hope he can conjure up the same again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Am expecting a solid win here - SG has no other choice if he wants to keep his job.

Absolutely, a rival team we should be beating to have any aspirations of top ten.

Player for player and I think we are better, the same could be said for a couple of other teams we have faced so far this season.

It is getting the balance right but we must win this otherwise I fear for our season as it will be another mid-table mediocrity once again.

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

I feel like the bond between the players, management and supporters was mended somewhat after the City game. I am hopeful we can take that into Southampton on Friday, get behind the lads and kickstart our season. Villa Park under the lights with a late kickoff is always a good occasion. Southampton were also one of the teams we absolutely took to pieces under Gerrard last year, so I hope he can conjure up the same again. 

Yes, the positivity gap between the home crowd and Villa Talk can be quite large sometimes. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes, the positivity gap between the home crowd and Villa Talk can be quite large sometimes. 

Villa Talk on-topic - Internet Confirmation Bias working at its very, very best-er-est

19 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Rumour now is that some games (including ours) may get canned due to a shortage of outside broadcast equipment and operators, as they're required for the funeral. If Sky can't arrange a crew to cover a match on a Friday night and then another event 3 days later, I'd suggest they're in the wrong business. If I was Villa, I'd be telling Sky that come what may the game will be going ahead - if they're not there to cover it, tough titty......and we still want paying, by the way.

Have no idea about the validity of the rumour, but you do realise that every game is filmed and broadcast live for the international audience? - not just what the UK market gets on Sky or BT.

6 hours ago, wict01 said:

I didn't watch the City game but regardless I agree. 

Southampton at home under the lights will be a decent atmosphere and a tough place to visit. 

I expect us to win, for better or worse.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

VT is not about being a Villa fan. It's about constantly and neverendingly pointing out everything that's wrong in the manager, players, owners and the tea lady. If you want to be a fan and enjoy, this is not your place. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, AVTuco said:

VT is not about being a Villa fan. It's about constantly and neverendingly pointing out everything that's wrong in the manager, players, owners, and fish and chips with gravy. If you want to be a fan and enjoy, this is not your place. 

Fixed for you

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Haha 1

Was quietly hoping this would be postponed, had to relist my ticket.  Friday night fixtures are one of the worst additions to the football calendar ever.

Regarding the game, could Southampton get two Villa managers sacked in consecutive seasons?