Pre match thread

VillaChris

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Friday evening under the lights, there’s not many better sights in football. The atmosphere will be a strange one initially I reckon, perhaps sombre? However, I hope once kick off begins we really get behind the team, make it loud, and try to get a convincing win.

It would be understandable if we make very few changes from the team that did so well against Man City last time out, but surely we should be on the front foot for this one? I’d love to see Dendoncker gets minutes but these will come from the bench I think. McGinn will no doubt start again but he’s on very thin ice and we have the quality now to replace him soon enough if his form doesn’t drastically improve.

So Coutinho or Ramsey on the left is the only decision I think Gerrard needs to make for this one. Personally, I think he’ll start Coutinho based on the fact we’re playing a team where we should have more of the ball and be able to create more.

Martinez

Young            Konsa        Mings            Digne

Kamara

Luiz                   McGinn

Bailey                                        Coutinho/Ramsey

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Guilbert, Augustinsson, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Buendia, Ings, Archer.

I think we can win and reasonably comfortably, so I’m saying 3-0 and our first clean sheet on the season. If we do put in a dire performance again and lose/draw, then I can’t see how Gerrard will ever get us playing at a consistent level. We need a win and a performance to go with it. Massive evening.

Martinez suspect, and Olsen out so I gather.

One of the keepers will be fine otherwise we'd have signed someone on short term deal.

Everton signed a guy who got released by Leicester this week as they have injuries to Pickford and their third choice. Newcastle also randomly signed Lorius Karius this week.

I'm sure Emi has played through some injuries for us so can't see an illness keeping him out.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Sky seem desperate for us to lose, predicting a 2-0 win and commemorating the fact that it’s 20 years to the day since the Enckleman debacle 

Still wasn't a goal :rant:

• Like 2

Just now, Tommo_b said:

I mean it must’ve been the faintest of touches, how can a ball roll under someone’s boot at the same pace if the studs touch the ball?!

Studs didn't touch. Ergo corner. The problem was old Pete didn't know the rules and raced after it like a guilty. Anyway, I'm over it now.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47a62refgqlqimrjc60d

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sky seem desperate for us to lose, predicting a 2-0 win and commemorating the fact that it’s 20 years to the day since the Enckleman debacle 

Why on earth does Sky even remember that fact? Holy hell.

Also, why are both our first team keepers potentially out? Wtf?

Looking at the tickets on the OS it looks like this might be a sell out as only 20odd tickets left in the whole of VP… surprising for a Friday night, on the telly, when we’ve not been playing the best. We do really have the best fans! 

Edited by alreadyexists