Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Play off final was 4 years ago today 😳

That game, the playoff before that, West Brom, Man City Wembley, West Ham. 5 games were really critical for our club (I’d also put Fulham away), so one win and two draws (well West Brom considered a win), those games gave us a huge push, the other 3 somehow been a blessing to lose (well not sure about the City one, would a win led us to relegate? Will Europe stop Grealish from going? Will we coup with Europe with the mess we went to with DS then SG?). Then we go back again to Whelan Penalty which he missed, somehow I was on that game, the game after that with caretaker, also went to Fulham then Brentford with a caretaker. I told some Villa friends that I shall come when we need a manager changing lol. Anyway, many critical things came, some losses became wins after that. 

Now we have a similar challenge, a clear opportunity to start writing history again, a moment for the sleeping giant to wake up, it’s the time to erase the myth that’s called (top 6). It’s the time to make everyone listen the roar. 

I didn’t want to write anything about that before the game, It’s really nervy, but just found myself writing. 

• Like 1

Always thought if Villa needed to win this game for Europe they would win but don’t think it’s going to be easy. Obviously helps that they’ve literally got nothing to play for and have been given a couple of days off before this but they are a really good side. 

Going for Villa 2-1 - will be nervy towards the end. Moreno going to be a big miss today. 

18 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

That game, the playoff before that, West Brom, Man City Wembley, West Ham. 5 games were really critical for our club (I’d also put Fulham away), so one win and two draws (well West Brom considered a win), those games gave us a huge push, the other 3 somehow been a blessing to lose (well not sure about the City one, would a win led us to relegate? Will Europe stop Grealish from going? Will we coup with Europe with the mess we went to with DS then SG?). Then we go back again to Whelan Penalty which he missed, somehow I was on that game, the game after that with caretaker, also went to Fulham then Brentford with a caretaker. I told some Villa friends that I shall come when we need a manager changing lol. Anyway, many critical things came, some losses became wins after that. 

Now we have a similar challenge, a clear opportunity to start writing history again, a moment for the sleeping giant to wake up, it’s the time to erase the myth that’s called (top 6). It’s the time to make everyone listen the roar. 

I didn’t want to write anything about that before the game, It’s really nervy, but just found myself writing. 

Haha! I get it, I feel the same. UTV! ❤️

13 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Got concerns about Brentford. Never a better time to play city - especially at home. We just need to do the business. 

They don't want to go into that champions league final without a win last 2 games you don't play with form.

If Brentford manage to finish above both us and Spurs then fair play to them. Not worried about that scenario. Personally if we don't do the business today I couldn't really give a monkeys if either Spurs or Brentford finish above us. 

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If Brentford manage to finish above both us and Spurs then fair play to them. Not worried about that scenario. Personally if we don't do the business today I couldn't really give a monkeys if either Spurs or Brentford finish above us. 

I agree with this sentiment in general but if we are not going to make 7th place, I would rather it was Brentford than Spurs who got it. Got a lot of respect for how Brentford have settled in the premier league and a lot of stored up dislike of Spurs.

Anyway, we need to beat Brighton and 7th is ours whatever, right? As you say, Spurs and Brentford are not really our concern this afternoon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we got Astana who's going? Is it still Capital of Kazakhstan? Surely direct flights from Brum. 

Anyone remember what ticket takeup was like back in the 2007-2010 years? I'd bloody love to go on a trip overseas to see the Villa competing in Europe no matter who we're playing or how early it is in the competition, but I'm imagining away tickets would be like rocking horse shit