Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 hours ago, markc said:

Sure I heard on For the Love of Paul McGrath podcast that the Brighton chairman is a mad Spuds fan. So maybe he's looking to help them out

Sorry it's Paul Barber the CEO who's the mad spurs fan and it was on the holy trinity show😊

Don’t know about fan but he used to be a director at Spurs (not CEO as that was Levy, maybe his number two), then went to run Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada, then back at Brighton and has been there for ages now.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

First time ever in Europe. It's a fairy-tale. Props to them. This is the kind of thing everyone watches football for.

100% - they are the anti-Citeh

• Like 2

It's all very clear now, we can't rely on Spurs to be rubbish, we can't rely on Leeds to be anything other than rubbish, and we can't rely on Man City to care much about the Brentford game as their priorities lay elsewhere.

We have to beat a very good Brighton team to get into Europe, but also, and I think this is very important, to maintain the momentum we've built up going into the summer window and then next season.

I think making Europe is very important to Emery, if we missed out on the last day, as his Arsenal side did in his first season with them, that would be a big blow to him, he's returned to the Premier League in part to right those kind of wrongs.

We shouldn't fear Brighton, we've beaten them before, and we've beaten better teams than them this season, but we must respect that they have good players, a good system, a good manager, and are brimming with confidence right now.

Let's hope the boys can rise above the pressure and give Mr Emery another performance like the Newcastle home game.

UTV!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Win and we qualify.

If we don't we can only blame ourself and are not good enough yet.

well, yes, but since Emery came in we have shown we are good enough.

It's just playing catch up that has put the spanner in the works. 

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

True, if we'd had Emery since day 1 this season we'd be 15 points clear of Brighton. 

For all the praise Brighton are getting, we have been as good if not slightly better than them since Emery came in. Their away form is pretty good, but our home form has been excellent. 

Should be a really good game - I expect a few goals - I don't think they'll sit back which will play to our strengths. Big, big game, but we can do this.

• Like 1

Villa got pretty close and were only a dubious VAR decision away from enjoying a play-off qualification decider with Brighton.

Even so, the accolade aside, I don't think Villa are ready for three games a week next season - there's a lot of squad building to be done yet.

West Ham might enjoy some consolation from their European final but their perilous season in the relegation-threatened places was a huge price to pay, and where's the prestige in winning a competition with 'Conference' in its title?

I've no worries about the game this weekend.  Our recent home record is brilliant, and the extra time Emery will have had to prepare for the game, Brighton will need to be excellent to beat us.  

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Since Emery came in is irrelevant.

Sample size is too low to use it as a measuring stick for a whole season.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

A sample size of 24 matches is not enough to predict anything about a 38 matches season? Seriously? What do you consider is enough, 37 matches?

A UK parliament poll sample 1000 people out of 45.5 million eligible to vote, and that is considered a good enough sample size. 

Let’s hope we win on Sunday, to prove you are wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Had Emery been given an additional 10 games, I think it would be difficult to find anybody who wouldn't bank on us getting 10 additional points minimum, more like 15-20. We'd be third in the league. 

I think we’ve seen enough over the past few months to be confident enough to say we would have been in contention for top 4 this season had he had the whole season. Oh well, it is what it is.

It’s still very exciting to see what he can do after a pre season and his own players. But it’s unlikely we have 3 teams out of the sky 6 have poor seasons at the same time again. Then you have Newcastle added to the mix. 

Winning conference may be our best bet for Europa the following season. 

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa got pretty close and were only a dubious VAR decision away from enjoying a play-off qualification decider with Brighton.

Even so, the accolade aside, I don't think Villa are ready for three games a week next season - there's a lot of squad building to be done yet.

West Ham might enjoy some consolation from their European final but their perilous season in the relegation-threatened places was a huge price to pay, and where's the prestige in winning a competition with 'Conference' in its title?

Be interesting to see if you still hold that view if / when we are in the final of that competition. 

I can't say I'm hugely excited about the prospect of winning a competition I have barely heard of, and was only created to give uefa more money.  But I know that if we made the final I'd be pretty gutted if we didn't then win it and over the moon if we did. 

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It isn't the Champions League or Europa League, but it's still Europe and winning it gives you entry into the following season's Europa Cup. There is no guarantee that we will get a high enough league place to qualify for the CL or UL next season (just ask Chelsea or Spurs fans), so let's take what we can get right now. Our club has been out of Europe for far too long, it's high time that our younger fans had the chance to witness some great European football nights. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

A sample size of 24 matches is not enough to predict anything about a 38 matches season? Seriously? What do you consider is enough, 37 matches?

A UK parliament poll sample 1000 people out of 45.5 million eligible to vote, and that is considered a good enough sample size. 

Let’s hope we win on Sunday, to prove you are wrong.

No it isn't because its' different to get in a middle of the season into a toxic dressing room and create a feel good vibe than being in charge a whole season.

Using this season as a measuring stick to predict next season is too simplistic.

A lot of factors needs to be taken into account. Other teams that are likely to improve. How our recruitment will go. What players we will keep.

xG post Emery has us around 9th-10th. In other words we have aquired more points than we should based on numbers. We've ridden a wave and had a lot of 50/50 games go in our favor. I believe over a whole season it would balance itself out.

That being said. With a strong transfer window things could change but our squad per now is not strong enough for a top 6 finish next season imo.

Edited by Pinebro