Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Just now, Mantis said:

Or the Emery thread.

What makes that stat even more remarkable is that in Slippy G's 11 games we were actually on course to do significantly worse than last season.

Yeah the “contribution” from Gerrard was the main factor for me not putting it in Unai’s thread :D

On 06/05/2023 at 23:15, Panto_Villan said:

People were overconfident of our chances before, and now most people seem to have switched to being underconfident instead.

Are we likely to get Europe? No, we’re not. But there’s still a chance, and stranger things have happened in football.

I said this a few weeks ago and I think recent events put the Wolves result into perspective - most teams have a blip once in a while, and our rivals had them too. It was always premature to write us off after a couple of bad results.

The team has been outstanding since Emery came in. He’s given us that extra five or ten percent on the pitch that means that almost all of the 50/50 games seem to go our way.

It’s a huge achievement and it should give us so much momentum going forward. Hopefully it makes us a much more appealing destination for the type of players we want to recruit this summer, too.

What a time to be a Villa fan!

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When did we last win 12 home wins in a league season? I assume back when it was 42 league season?

We won our last 7 home games to make europe by a point, that's what top tier teams do.

ChatGPT thinks 1995-96.

(and Google Bard reckons it was 2020-21 😆)

Spoiler

Google Bard: Aston Villa last won 12 home games in a season in the 2020-2021 Championship season. They won their first 12 home games of the season, setting a new club record. The streak ended on January 23, 2021, when they lost to Fulham 2-1. Villa went on to finish the season in second place, earning promotion to the Premier League.

On 03/09/2022 at 19:41, messi11 said:

Enough of the doom and gloom, For all the positive Villains out there like me, lets dream of European Football Next Season! 
I feel like we have the players for sure its just putting it together to make it tick. 

Can we do it? 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 03/09/2022 at 19:41, messi11 said:

Enough of the doom and gloom, For all the positive Villains out there like me, lets dream of European Football Next Season! 
I feel like we have the players for sure its just putting it together to make it tick. 

Can we do it? 

On 03/09/2022 at 19:41, Tommo_b said:

Hell yeah!!

Fair play @Tommo_b

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When did we last win 12 home wins in a league season? I assume back when it was 42 league season?

We won our last 7 home games to make europe by a point, that's what top tier teams do.

Having had a quick look (so I believe this is correct) -

We managed 13 wins in 21 home games in 92/93.

I don’t believe we have managed 12 home wins in a single season since then. We got 11 home wins once or twice (95/96 being one of them).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Anyone who asked “does it really matter in attracting players if we get the Europa Conference?”, look how much qualifying meant to the players.

I think most importantly it gives us a good excuse to enlarge our squad without the need of shipping some useful players away; more game time for squad players with more fixtures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hong0311 said:

I think most importantly it gives us a good excuse to enlarge our squad without the need of shipping some useful players away; more game time for squad players with more fixtures.

And increases our profile in Europe and gives players more match sharpness and experience etc. 

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

So, I’ve only just noticed that we’ve only qualified for the play off round, not the group stage. So we have to win over 2 legs to get to the group stage. I tried to look at the format but I can’t work out whether we’d be seeded or not or the quality of the opposition we’d be up against.

edit-ignore me. Found the chat about it in the other thread.

Edited by WallisFrizz