Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It didn't work well for West Ham this season! I'm not saying we'd be that shit, but it's arguable that it it be a bit of a shame if our league form suffered just to play in the Conference.

I'd think more of it if there wasn't a group stage.

That's where we have Emery who's a master at this while Wet Spam have Gollum.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

It didn't work well for West Ham this season! I'm not saying we'd be that shit, but it's arguable that it it be a bit of a shame if our league form suffered just to play in the Conference.

They're in the final, if they win they are in the Europa League. So not too bad. Unai is different league to Moyes and their recruitment didn't work out as well last summer as the summer before. I'd back us to buy better and be stronger next season. 

Better to be in it, get more of our squad and youngsters playing. We are only headed in one direction and I don't think the conference will be a hindrance to us. It'll be useful.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sne said:

That's where we have Emery who's a master at this while Wet Spam have Gollum.

Ah yeah but I think Villareal also suffered a little in the league at times while he was succeeding in the European cups.

20 minutes ago, Rolta said:

But last year west ham made the final and finished 6th. They even strengthened in the summer. 

• Like 1

I'm sure it will have an impact, but one way or another we have to experience that growing pain in our development. Even if we sacked it off early to finish 4th the first time we did CL we'd still.need to adapt and would still struggle. 

For me thr benefit at this level is it one where our youngsters should.be able to be involved and make useful contributions to the side. We will need to add a few players as well.but I get the impression that is definitely going to happen.

Also, with a couple of the players we might have.concerns over in terms of our ability to moving them on, have that level for Bailey, Diane and Coutinho for example is potentially useful too. So if we can't sell them or loan them out there are games we can reasonably.expect them to succeed in

• Like 2

We are going to have to beat Brighton next week because I really feel that Brentford will beat Man City. No Citeh player is going to risk injury and missing that CL final. I think Brighton will beat Southampton so that takes them beyond our reach. Hopefully they'll rest up against us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WHY said:

How is it erratic. We’ve had Brentford, Liverpool and United away in those 6 games. Liverpool have lost once in the last 41 home games and Brentford have only been beaten twice at home all season. Wolves away was the only disappointing result in the last 14 games ffs. 

maybe he meant erotic?

53 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Ah yeah but I think Villareal also suffered a little in the league at times while he was succeeding in the European cups.

I am happy to take succeeding in the European cups. ;)

16 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We are going to have to beat Brighton next week because I really feel that Brentford will beat Man City. No Citeh player is going to risk injury and missing that CL final. I think Brighton will beat Southampton so that takes them beyond our reach. Hopefully they'll rest up against us. 

I know what you mean, but he will probably play the fringe players and they might prove good enough to beat them, or at least to get a point. Let's win on Sunday and save ourselves wondering how Spurs and Brentford have got on. Brighton should be on their beach by Sunday or is it their pebbles? It would be impolite of them to come and try to spoil our party!:) 

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Better than the Eden Arena but still a pathetic venue for a European final. 

In reality, its the bargain basement European final, it can't be matching the actual Europa league, as there would be no difference. 

I think it suits us next season, maybe the season after we will be ready for the big one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

In reality, its the bargain basement European final, it can't be matching the actual Europa league, as there would be no difference. 

I think it suits us next season, maybe the season after we will be ready for the big one.

Yep, depending on how all the leagues finish etc you could have a conference final of villa vs roma and Brighton vs atalanta, of course villa vs roma would draw in more fans and be considered a bigger game, UEFA can't have that, it would also draw a bigger fan base than a man City CL final which they definitley can't have so they'll use smaller stadiums to diminish the importance of the game

But the number of fans travelling without a ticket would be huge, I'd expect

West ham took 5k to alkmaar, I reckon they'll take 10k - 20k odd to Prague for a piss up even if there are only 4,500 tickets or whatever stupid amount it is

46 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

21 minutes ago, John said:

I am happy to take succeeding in the European cups. ;)

I know what you mean, but he will probably play the fringe players and they might prove good enough to beat them, or at least to get a point. Let's win on Sunday and save ourselves wondering how Spurs and Brentford have got on. Brighton should be on their beach by Sunday or is it their pebbles? It would be impolite of them to come and try to spoil our party!:) 

To take the two bolded points, it’s not unreasonable to think the fringe players if they are used could be out to put themselves in contention to feature in either final. Give Pep some food for thought.

I know if I was a player who thought I wasn’t likely to feature in either an FA Cup or Champions League final, I’d want to take any opportunity I have to make the case for my inclusion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

There's not as many games in the Europa conference, it's certainly not what effected Wet Spams form and it won't effect ours. In the Prem, Spam were just shit!

I think Pep will play the youth and fringe players for their last league games. Total dead rubbers. Probably won’t even play Haaland. A Brentford result is a real possibility and if they win, a draw won’t be enough for us. We’re going to have to do it ourselves.

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think Pep will play the youth and fringe players for their last league games. Total dead rubbers. Probably won’t even play Haaland. A Brentford result is a real possibility and if they win, a draw won’t be enough for us. We’re going to have to do it ourselves.

As said before though those fringe players are £30m+ internationals

Haaland will want his goal bonus money, if he does drop him then world cup winner Alvarez will start instead, if he drops grealish it will be for mahrez, Dias for laporte

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

City will beat Brentford with ease. No chance they are going to go easy.