Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/22 at 22:59

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

FWIW West Ham also look poor this term.

Outside of Man City, and Liverpool ( once they get it together , which they will / are) every team is very beatable in this league. This is why tactical decisions will be so pivotal this season. This is feeling like this season will be a opportunity missed.

Apologies to all those that saw it before the season started and called for him to have been gone already. You had the foresight I didn't. He is clueless and the subs today showed it.

McGinn playing every minute every single game, despite being largely useless is killing us. Gerrard is to blame for this.

No threat today. No hope for anything better.

Gerrard out. 

Scouse prick on Talksport:

"eees was a great player lah, one of der best lah, if ya want him out gerrim out, to a decent club".

Absolute **** dribbling tool.

Can't think of any argument in favour of Smith going that wouldn't also apply here. Smith had actually proven he could improve a Premier League team's position in the table

The next two games are just wasted time to get a new manager in if Gerrard stays, and we're well past the point where the kind of heroic-but-futile performances we put in against City and Liverpool last season are enough to cut it

I think we are in big big big trouble.  Our two most talented players, in my opinion at least, Buendia and Bailey...  rarely start.  Bailey's dad/agent blasts Gerard yesterday.  I imagine Buendia isn't happy and neither is Leon.  Coutinho looks cooked for the most part and can't finish 90 minutes.  Mings stripped of captaincy, given to McGinn, who frankly looks poor for the most part...  his slip that led to a 2v1 and should have probably led to us going behind had me losing my shit.  Seems like the morale/vibe around the club is pure shit...   we can't create shit...  and we just find ways to lose and play uninspired football.  With the roster we have, the results should be better...  so maybe it is a SG issue?  All I know is this is not what I was expecting this year to be....  and now we have 3 points from 4, about to play Arsenal and Man City.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Scouse prick on Talksport:

"eees was a great player lah, one of der best lah, if ya want him out gerrim out, to a decent club".

Absolute **** dribbling tool.

He had probably finished banging his sister and about to go out on the Rob.... 

• Haha 1

Voted average for the manager because I thought it represented "par" for what he usually does - nothing surprising.

Random thoughts:

Obviously unlucky goal to concede, we were good value for a draw at least with a decent overall performance without being very good at the same time.

Luiz needs to start. Midfield was a lot more balanced and actually moved the ball around without immediately losing it. More players making themselves available for a pass and better shape overall.

Ramsey should be brought on for McGinn not Doug & either Tim or Nakamba should be getting minutes - we simply cannot persist with the JJ & SJM partnership.

Digne & Cash a little more conservative and it worked a bit better today I thought.

Bailey dangerous, should be starting (4231?).

Coutinho not terrible but also not good - should be starting on the bench and introduced later on, Emi a lot more effective yet again.

We lack pace in movement and with how we move the ball - never seem to catch a team out with how laborious our play is they are always back in good defensive positions.

WatkIngs still not a real partnership but somehow we do better when they both play together - this was an issue for Dean and continues to be a problem.

It was both predictable and awful in its own special Villa way.

In the last game against West Ham, Villa huffed and puffed without producing much quality, and they did exactly the same once again.

Plenty of slick passing in areas where it didn't matter but not a quality final-ball worth counting all afternoon.

I swear, not even Håland would score, with that sort of service.

Can anyone possibly claim that Villa are a better team now than when Smith left?

Wasn’t good enough,  no urgency going forward. Looked like two teams playing for a draw. 
I don’t think either team did enough to win the game, haven’t seen it back was their goal a deflection?

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Wasn’t good enough,  no urgency going forward. Looked like two teams playing for a draw. 
I don’t think either team did enough to win the game, haven’t seen it back was their goal a deflection?

Bounced off Konsa.

• Thanks 1

How do you possibly play a narrow formation yet have **** all in the middle, the park was just empty. Our defense was fine this game bar that deflected goal, wet lose games from our **** of a midfield. So unbalanced, no height no pace no nothing

Edited by supermon

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I don't even think he's lost the players. They are carrying out his instructions, putting in a shift physically. I just think he's completely clueless. 

Played right into Moyes hands. First half was happy to play keep away and turned Villa Park into a library. Then when Moyes upped the tempo and he just did nothing. What's the point of being on the touchline if you have absolutely zero effect on the game.   

Maybe, but I feel we're on the verge of a pretty big blow up. 

Mings, as professional as he is, won't be on good terms. 

Buendia has been shat on. Bailey is being used incorrectly. Luiz is our best passer but benched more often than not. He's definitely lost Guilbert and Sanson 

Then some more hypotheticals

Will Ings be happy to be taken off every single game? Archer be happy after getting 3 mins here and there? Digne and Cash after being asked to paly the shit formation hanging them out to dry?

Craig Butler is a helmet but his most recent posts are very true...and probably what the players are thinking deep down too.

• Like 1

Also, losing at home to the team bottom, who were pointless and goal-less, and he puts Archer on in the 90th minute?

That's some top grade trolling, Slippy.

I actually find it laughable that we can’t even get a draw when we play a team like today. At the very least you take a 0-0.

We’ve completely lost the ability of being hard to beat, keeping it tight etc. The longer the game went on today, you knew they might take a chance. 

If you can’t win a game, you don’t lose and we can’t fathom this at all.

I probably more than most really wanted Gerrard to succeed here but today is a really low point for me. West Ham in the first half were awful and we should have been two up with more creativity, luck or downright being more clinical.

We seem devoid of confidence and manager seems devoid of ideas on how to turn it around. The beginning of the end for him now I feel.

It’s a shame because he’s brought us much needed exposure and some very good players into the club. However, the basics on the pitch don’t even seem right now. Time to act and quickly in order to change our season.

Two poor teams today. We had the best of the first half and they became more dominant as the second half continued. A 0-0 draw would have been a fair result, but when you're struggling your luck tends to run out, even against West Ham. We needed at worst a point from this. :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, supermon said:

How do you possibly play a narrow formation yet have **** all in the middle, the park was just empty. Our defense was fine this game bar that deflected goal, wet lose games from our **** of a midfield. So unbalanced, no height no pace no nothing

This. 

We play narrow yet our midfield is walked through every game. 

57 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think Purslow knows he was the one that brought in Gerard, if Stevie goes he needs to go too. 

If NSWE were supportive of the decision then I’d imagine he’s safe. If however it was his master plan and he pushed hard for SG without Nas and Wes being particularly convinced, then he could be on very thin ice. 

Unless Purslow is working on a successor already and it better be a good one, I could again see him being in trouble. NSWE have been great and generally got most things right, but unless we appoint the right man at the sharp end then there could be widespread changes at the club in a number of senior positions. NSWE won’t tolerate failure for long and without the right manager all their hard work and money doesn’t count for much. 

• Like 1

Â