Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/22 at 22:59

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That was during the game trying to get (rightly) behind the team along with other chants.  I didn’t hear any of that at the end of the game which was just loud boos from at least upper and lower Holte and at least The Witton stand from my vantage point at the front of upper Holte, right side of the goal.  It did look like the lower tier of the trinity was booing as well.  It was really loud though.

You're correct. I should have been clearer, there were 'Steven Gerrard's claret and blue army' chants during the game, which implies the crowd are still largely behind him. By and large, that chant disappears when the crowd turn against a manager.

For example, I never once heard 'Alex McLeish's claret and blue army' during his reign 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, regular_john said:

You're correct. I should have been clearer, there were 'Steven Gerrard's claret and blue army' chants during the game, which implies the crowd are still largely behind him. By and large, that chant disappears when the crowd turn against a manager.

For example, I never once heard 'Alex McLeish's claret and blue army' during his reign 

Can’t say I heard them but I didn’t hear much, another piss poor atmosphere at VP. I get you need to see something on the pitch to get the fans going but it goes both ways imo.  

1 minute ago, regular_john said:

which implies the crowd are still largely behind him.

Not sure it does.  I was singing it on Sunday and I want him out, same as many around me.  We do it because it’s one of the chants in our locker box that we sing at games.  I do agree about McLeish though which was an exception.

We were singing Coutinho song as well when we all thought Buendia should be on replacing him (and should’ve started).

Sometimes we do things to keep the support going to help the team.

As I’ve said many times on this forum, I’m 100% behind the team during the game but outside that I will praise, criticise and analyse the team.  Game time is always to be totally behind the manager and the team even if I don’t agree.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Can’t say I heard them but I didn’t hear much, another piss poor atmosphere at VP. I get you need to see something on the pitch to get the fans going but it goes both ways imo.  

Hear this within the ground or on tv watching the game?

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That was during the game trying to get (rightly) behind the team along with other chants.  I didn’t hear any of that at the end of the game which was just loud boos from at least upper and lower Holte and at least The Witton stand from my vantage point at the front of upper Holte, right side of the goal.  It did look like the lower tier of the trinity was booing as well.  It was really loud though.

or after we went 1 down for that matter

• Like 1

Just now, WHY said:

In the ground, thought the West Ham fans were fairly quiet for an away team as well. 

I don’t think the atmosphere is great but it started loud considering the circumstances and faded as nerves set in but piss poor I can’t agree with.  I’m not sure what you are expecting? We don’t have the old standing Holte any more and there are too many young families these days to build loud atmosphere like the old days

7 minutes ago, WHY said:

In the ground, thought the West Ham fans were fairly quiet for an away team as well. 

Not sure I agree it was as poor as you are saying.  What stand was you in because in the Holte it started really loud before nerves started kicking in.

Edited by nick76

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree it was as poor as you are saying.  What stand was you in because in the Holte it started really loud before nerves started kicking in.

Upper trinity towards the North Stand, it went quiet after about 10 mins. To be fair it wasn’t the most exciting game but we have to do our bit. Best thing about the game was the new half time game, oh and I’m pretty sure the PA system has been improved, sounded a bit louder yesterday. 

Edited by WHY

Toothless, spineless and clueless.

What the heck was the point in bringing Archer on at 90mins for 3 minutes of added time.

Should have been given a better chance than that. I'd have bought him on once they went one up.

Another mind boggling decision.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Disagree. Heard worst at the end of Lamberts time.

And I remember a home game against Bolton, penultimate home game of the season where we went from 1-0 up to losing 2-1 in the space of about 5 minutes.

The boos, abuse and "The villa is ours, F%$k off Mcliesh, the Villa is ours....." - at least he still had the bottle to turn around, despite all of the abuse and clap the home fans. It wasn't well received at the time.

5 minutes ago, WHY said:

Upper trinity towards the North Stand, it went quiet after about 10 mins. To be fair it wasn’t the most exciting game but we have to do our bit. Best thing about the game was the new half time game, oh and I’m pretty sure the PA system has been improved, sounded a bit louder yesterday. 

I’m assuming that why, you are probably in the quietest corner of the ground.  Holte was great until the nerves kicked in, it’s never going to be like the old standing Holte but was good considering the football on the pitch, certainly doing our part for the game at least for a good while into the game.  Harder these days to get atmosphere like the old days because so many young families, corporate type people and despite high season ticket holders there always seems to be a fair few fair weather/non local fans who don’t chant.

In the Holte pre game the sound system was too loud especially with some of the shit music they put on.  Would’ve been fine when I was 16 and busting my ear drums with alternative stuff I was into but not in my forties.  Still love my loud music but it was a little screechy as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, imavillan said:

Toothless, spineless and clueless.

What the heck was the point in bringing Archer on at 90mins for 3 minutes of added time.

Should have been given a better chance than that. I'd have bought him on once they went one up.

Another mind boggling decision.

Id have brought him on before they went ahead. What is there to lose, give the kid a chance, you might just get rewarded for making a decision like that. He persists and persists with a lot of combinations that just dont work within his team selections and 90% of us are getting extremely restless with it all now.

We always find a way to lose; its a huge problem. The losing mentality has set in now, the players have become so accustomed to it under SG. If we cant get a goal or go behind, we can never just get a draw. That must be so bad for morale when you have a game like Sunday, everyone feels in control, the way the first half went, seeing West Ham were pretty low in confidence and not playing well, yet they get the win still. Its all doom and gloom and it looks like the squad feel that way too. We need a serious shot in the arm from somewhere.

Re the atmosphere, I was in my usual seat in the upper Holte and the support was noisy to start with and the first half, but the second half there was a sense of impending realisation that we had played our "good half" and it was a matter of time before spam scored - the crowd were quieter in the second half. And yes there was booing....

One observation there was a mum and dad in the upper Holte K4 (near the back where we all stand) with two very young kids about 5 yo and 7yo......in my opinion that is no place for young kids at that age to be....but maybe I am an old fart and this is the new modern family friendly football...

VTID

19 hours ago, regular_john said:

I tried it on the coach once, and a pizza box hit my head 

Â