Pre-match thread

Wainy316

Glad we’re at home, only helps our cause. Everyone will be behind the team, that will only change if we play really poorly or get battered…

We really need to put in a performance and I’m really hoping we do.

No one is enjoying the way we have been fading… the sooner it changes, the better…

One big victory could turn the tide, confidence and momentum is massive in this league…

Will Moyes change it up and go with some of his new signings against us, or stick with the rugged Antonio up top? Think we are in for a proper hard game on Sunday, they will have looked at our wekaness defending set pieces this season and seen how our defending goes out the window when under pressure. We can get the 3 points but got to move the ball quickly and that means playing EMI B and LEON B to unlock them with fast flowing passing and running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubliner said:

This is such a massive game given the fixtures that follow it.

Lose this and there's a good chance we lose the next two as well. 

3 points from 6 games would be a disaster of a start and surely Gerrard would be gone.

If we win Sunday though I'm hoping it'll give us a bit of a bounce and even if we get 1 or 2 points from the two games that follow things would be looking a lot better.

We can only dream and hope for the best. But our team performance so far have been terrible. We have played two relegation candidates and one mid-table candidate and gotten 3 points, while playing badly. The next 5 matches is against better opposition. Unless we improve our performance on the pitch we can’t expect many points going forward. If everything stays the same, I can see us losing the next 5 games.

I’m sure the owners would like to wait until the international break or the WC break before taking action, but if Gerrard continue with what he is doing they could be forced to act sooner.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah last couple of pre-match videos have had that feeling.

Gerrard looks a bit stressed, but that's what happens to Villa managers for the most part.

I'd like to see him succeed as I don't want another transitional season and to start again, I hope he can get some consistency from them. We have a good team.

A win tomorrow will undoubtedly improve the confidence levels and a chance to build from there.

Game is on Sunday mate and, despite my feelings on the manager, I would love it if we could give them a good hiding!

It’s a big test, despite their form, I think they enjoy playing us… let’s give them a nasty surprise for once…

A win would boost us all and give us some much needed confidence and belief.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, messi11 said:

If Gerrard guides Villa to a win against West Ham its over for us Gerrard Outers. That will give him plenty of time and the pressure will be off

Surely that’s a good thing though mate? As it means we’re winning! 

West Ham come to Villa Park with no points and no goals scored in three league games so far this season. They’ll be thrilled with a point here and it wouldn’t be the worst result for us either, but if we’re clinical and win the midfield, we can take the points.  Would happily take a 2-1 but can see an edgy 1-1.

Martinez

Cash           Chambers            Mings            Digne

Kamara      

McGinn                         Luiz

Buendia

Ings                      Watkins                

Subs:  Olsen, Augustinsson, Young, Konsa, Iroegbunam, Ramsey, Bailey, Coutinho, Archer

I would personally like to see Bailey start ahead of Watkins but think Gerrard will go with the two up top who served him well in the last home game.  Coutinho may take Buendia’s place I suppose but hope not. If it were me picking the team, McGinn would be benched but we know he won’t be.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Apparently, there now our bogey team. I remember when it was quite the opposite. 

It's going to be an interesting one, certainly. Hopefully we can carry some momentum from our midweek victory and, hopefully, they have left theirs on the plane from Denmark.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Batted away some of those questions very well tbf but yes clearly highly agitated in his thought process and body language.

I think West Ham is going to be a hell of a tough game, they are no mugs and with the poor start they've had (I think they've been somewhat unlucky) the perception is this should be 3 pts.

Should he not get those 3 points he'll be sacked. They'll just wait until we've been pumped by Arsenal and City 

but he won't.....and not much will change.

We need to find some fight from somewhere, else we will get steamrollered.....West Ham don't need to be on top form, they just need to bully us......and that sadly, that  is not hard to do.

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Feels almost certain we will lose. 

Yep looks nailed on hammers 3 points. If we play like the first hour against Bolton (our best game) they'll score and sit back.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yep looks nailed on hammers 3 points. If we play like the first hour against Bolton (our best game) they'll score and sit back.

They'll definitely stand off first 10-15. Keep it tight, see if we do anything stupid like give them a set-piece.

They'll be nervous if we can start well.