Pre-match thread

Wainy316

We couldn't really ask for a better game after this start. 

At home against a team struggling with 0 points and 0 goals. Playing in Europe tonight as well.

No premier league match is easy but I don't think we could ask for much more. 

No excuse culture. 

On 24/08/2022 at 09:25, Villa87 said:

Agreed - not seen enough of Augustinsson. Really unimpressed by Digne. Defensively suspect and struggled to make 10 yard passes further forward. 

Augustinsson wasn't even on bench for Bolton so guess he's injured. No chance of him starting Sunday.

17 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I suspect West Ham is a Lose Lose for Gerrard on here. We win, and it will be: Hammers are bottom of the league on zero points it is the least we should expect. We lose, and it is Hammers were bottom of the league on zero points and clueless Gerrard loses to them.

Not at all.

West Ham have been a massive bogey team for us since they've come up.

They're poor at the moment but pretty sure when he was at Everton Moyes had loads of seasons where they started slow but come May they were 6th-8th so I expect the same here.

If we beat them on Sunday that will have suggested we've defended well and won the midfield battle. And it will be badly needed 3 points with Arsenal and Man. City upcoming.

In a way it's similar to the challenge Ten Haag had v Liverpool. Everyone expected Liverpool to roll them over even though they're not themselves at the moment yet Ten Haag altered his usual gameplan (telling De Gea to just kick long all the time etc) and really got the forward players running at likes of Trent and Gomez.

If Man. United can do it I don't see why we can't come out and do the same to West Ham given it's the best time of the season to play them rather than October/November when they'll be in their stride.

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

At home against a team struggling with 0 points and 0 goals. Playing in Europe tonight as well.

No excuse culture. 

We lost to them inbetween  their two europa games v Sevilla. We'd won three games without conceding going into that aswell. They had a poor last two months of the season aswell.

Everton at home was perfect game to get back on track after Bournemouth debacle and from comfortable position we very nearly messed that up. Can't sadly play them every week.

Both managers will be quietly happy with a point so will be a tight game possibly decided by a set piece if there's a winner and think we know which team is more likely to score that sort of goal.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think we’ll beat West Ham.

I hope so.  I’m not convinced we will, I’m at the really worried stage to be honest. We have a habit of helping players/teams on bad runs turn that around.  I really want to leave the ground happy on Sunday, a nice Villa win and a good performance would do us all a world of good.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I hope so.  I’m not convinced we will, I’m at the really worried stage to be honest. We have a habit of helping players/teams on bad runs turn that around.  I really want to leave the ground happy on Sunday, a nice Villa win and a good performance would do us all a world of good.

There is no need to worry, we have only played 3 games. There is lots of time to allow Gerrard to screw up and we can still sack him and still be comfortably safe this season. Our playing squad is easily good enough to stay in the PL. If we end up sacking we have the excitement of a new manager coming in and if we don't sack him it will because he has turned it around and we see improvement. The future is bright

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

No excuse culture. 

Come on, we are the gift that keeps giving, I have lost count the amount of teams that have broken their bad run against us, or a striker that hasn't scored in 12 months fills his boots! 

If the team sheet reads McGinn and Ramsey in Midfield expect to be very disappointed come the final whistle!

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

No excuse culture. 

You know after all that you just know it

0-3 west ham

They are starting with a pretty strong side against Viborg in the cup play off tonight.

Hopefully they'll feel it in the legs on Sunday. Although I'm sure we will slow it down as much as possible and pass it around our back 5 until we punt it towards their tallest players.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Can't see us cope with physical players like Rice, Soucek and Antonio 

Another game for Buendia and not Coutinho you'd think from the opponent.

We know who will start though.