Pre-match thread

Wainy316

Been thinking about the starting 11. As unlikely as it is I hope he goes:

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

Luiz Kamara

Bailey McGinn Buendia

Watkins

I know McGinn is subject of huge debate, but if he brings his form we will need his tenacity in the middle against their midfield. 

57 minutes ago, Thug said:

If he gets the win today I’ll be delighted for him and for us. Any points against City and Arsenal would be a bonus. Expecting none.

If we lose With a dire performance - I’m sorry but he’s got to go.

if we play well and lose, then maybe see how we go against the next couple 

Kind of where im at tbh

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The atmosphere will be very nasty if we lose today considering its also according to one of the podcasts the first home game since promotion we havent sold out. They called the ticket office and got told this

They will be aware

That's interesting. Won't be great news with all this talk of stadium expansions and season ticket waiting lists. 

If true, it really does show how we've potentially chucked away all that positivity rebuilt the last few years. 

• Like 1

As for team selection, I’m toying with a couple of variants, neither of which are very realistic considering Gerrard’s tactics and player favourites. Back five should be 

Emi

Cash, Chambers, Mings, Digne 

(Though you could argue Digne doesn’t deserve the start over Ludwig on current form.) 

Now, I’m on paper a 4-3-3 man, but in my world a 4-3-3 means wingers and 8s that are allowed to play high up. So the front six with that in mind would for me be: 

Luiz, Kamara, Sanson

Bailey, WatkIngs, Buendia. 

However, I do feel our squad might be better suited to a 4-2-3-1 at the moment. Two 6s leaves us less exposed at the back, and a 10 bridges the gap between a low block and the lone striker. Again, it involves wingers. Same back five, but in this scenario I’d consider this front six:

Luiz, Kamara

Bailey, Buendia, JJ

WatkIngs. 

Notice how I’ve dropped McGinn and Coutinho from both lineups, and I can’t work out who to play from Watkins and Ings in either scenario. They both have their strengths and glaring weaknesses, and neither are ideal candidates. I’ve included Leon in both, but I’m not convinced he’s the right player. Too inconsistent and defensively suspect. 

It’s probably moot, though, as we can all be fairly confident it’ll be either 4-3-3 Gerrard style or the inexplicable 4-1-2-1-2 diamond, both without width, and McGinn and probably Coutinho will be guaranteed to start and Sanson will be nowhere to be seen. Our midfield will most likely be completely overrun again. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Thoughts on this take? Many seem to agree in the replies…

Utter nonsense. No worse than any crowd. You play rubbish football and not doing well it is tentative.

Same under Bruce. No real toxic stuff , no direct booing , no calls for Gerrard to go that I have heard.

But here we go again, it's all the crowd's fault. Roaring won't make a totally inept team, set up completely wrongly and one of the worst in the league suddenly look capable.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The atmosphere will be very nasty if we lose today considering its also according to one of the podcasts the first home game since promotion we havent sold out. They called the ticket office and got told this

They will be aware

Very interesting.

Club might have to learn the hard way just how hard it is to galvanise a fanbase like Smith did.

• Like 1

Lose this one with a bad performance and that'll be another one joining the 'i've had enough' camp.

He's currently 5/1 for the next manager to leave odds.

Rodgers 4/7 Parker 4/1 Gerrard 5/1 Lampard 11/2 Hasenhuttl 7/1

Edited by imavillan
added other odds and link

51 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Just about to lo leave home for VP. call in and see my daughter and grand kids, then off to my lads, see other grandkids. Then me , lad and grand daughter off to VP. Got my colours on full of hope. I will chant and cheer to start with, then its up to the players and manager to keep me in high spirits and keep me singing and clapping. By the time I get home I will have been out around 10 hours. I will have spent around £80 with petrol , tickets food, parking etc

I will not be happy clapping unless given something in return 

I can't even attend games (overseas) and I was just about to post this. Spot on 1000%

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Thoughts on this take? Many seem to agree in the replies…

Works both ways, the management have to set up the team to get the fans fired up early doors. Whether its attacking from the start or winning some big early tackles

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Utter nonsense. No worse than any crowd. You play rubbish football and not doing well it is tentative.

Same under Bruce. No real toxic stuff , no direct booing , no calls for Gerrard to go that I have heard.

But here we go again, it's all the crowd's fault. Roaring won't make a totally inept team, set up completely wrongly and one of the worst in the league suddenly look capable.

Agree with you guys, just wanted to gauge opinion. The crowd will always give support if the players offer some encouragement and endeavour out there….

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Works both ways, the management have to set up the team to get the fans fired up early doors. Whether its attacking from the start or winning some big early tackles

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don’t see us as an aggressive, tenacious, high pressing team anymore. We were excellent at it at times under Deano (especially against the top sides) but, for the most part, we’ve been very stand offish and cautious under SG… hope it’s a different story today, we need energy and tempo…