Wainy316

Our least shit set up -

Martinez

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

Kamara

Luiz               McGinn/Ramsey

Buendia

Bailey              Watkings

Their physicality concerns me - Zouma, Rice, Soucek, Antonio - their doggedness, with the likes of Coufal, Bowen, Fornals...

We have to win the midfield battle - we have more flair in our squad, but as we have seen already at Bournemouth and Palace it won't be enough without the fight.

I am concerned we will lose this, they absolutely battered us last year and although they have got off to a start as bad as ours, we all know that they will turn it around, and who better than us? Right? That's what we are good at - being a soft touch.

For once, just once, I hope this isn't the case.. but I suspect it will be. Prove me wrong Villa / Gerrard - Silence the critics. Please.

I would have probably chose Chambers over Konsa but to be honest Calum looked a little shaky last night and maybe Konsa's pace will be more suited to face Antonio. How we deal with him will also have a huge bearing on the final outcome. 

Buendia did ok, nothing more in a short time last night so I can't see him starting, whereas Bailey could and should be pushing for a starting place.

Young played well but I would expect Cash to come in.

And then we are just left with the midfield conundrum - McGinn not playing well and should be the one to miss out, but we all know this will not be happening so it seems pointless picking a team without him.

With the above in mind I think we might see something like - Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey, Watkins, Coutinho.

I'd personally go Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne, Kamara, Luiz, Ramsey, Buendia, Watkins, Bailey.

• Like 2

Martinez 

Cash.      Chambers.     Mings.      Digne

Kamara.       Luiz

Buendia.      Coutinho.     Ramsey

Bailey

😃 

West Ham see this match as no-discussion must-win. They are as hungry for a win as any club we may face this year based on what I've read. 

Who is going to go toe-to-toe with Declan Rice? Who has that physicality? Dougie? I can't see us getting anything from the match if we don't find a way to contain if not intimidate Rice.      

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Also, the case would be stronger if Grealish was pulling up trees at City. As it stands, it actually looks like Smith did very well to get the most out of Grealish (which Bruce, Guardiola and Southgate have all failed to do) and maybe our other players contributed more than we realised.

A point I’ve made myself but I believe the most overlooked when people spout off about Smith’s success being because of JG. The inverse appears to be just as true.

Sorry that’s off topic - on topic, that win gives Gerrard the chance to beat a struggling West Ham and inject a bit of life into the season. If we don’t get at least a point I think we will be bottom three games from now. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

Very tough game coming up for us, i don't buy that they will be tired after playing in Europe at all, they will still have enough in the tank to bully us and get the ball down the sides quickly and with intent. We need to really run in midfield and pressure them but also when we have the ball need to move it fast and have our players make runs off the ball too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

A point I’ve made myself but I believe the most overlooked when people spout off about Smith’s success being because of JG. The inverse appears to be just as true.

Sorry that’s off topic - on topic, that win gives Gerrard the chance to beat a struggling West Ham and inject a bit of life into the season. If we don’t get at least a point I think we will be bottom three games from now. Fingers crossed.

Must not lose game. 3 points from Bournemouth/Everton/Palace/West Ham would be disastrous. 

• Like 3

I suspect West Ham is a Lose Lose for Gerrard on here. We win, and it will be: Hammers are bottom of the league on zero points it is the least we should expect. We lose, and it is Hammers were bottom of the league on zero points and clueless Gerrard loses to them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Must not lose game. 3 points from Bournemouth/Everton/Palace/West Ham would be disastrous. 

After three games where we have been poor against bottom half opposition, you think Gerrard would do like ten Hag and change things, to try get a better performance. Sadly we all know that Gerrard doesn’t operate like that, he will think that because we were poor in previous matches there is no need to change anything. With extreme luck, bad refereeing and calamity mistakes in the opposition defence, he could be right and we win against West Ham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Hope you’re right mate, I just can’t see it. The indications are that we are going to struggle, it’s not just guessing (without any basis or reasoning).

I agree we have the players I get results but not the manager or even the coaches. I don’t see what our coaching team offers, it’s nowhere near good enough…

Our “tactics” and performances are a joke and need to be addressed asap. We’ve played the weakest teams and were thoroughly outclassed and beaten by a midrange club in the last game. It makes sense to believe that superior teams will give us a much harder time…

It’d be ideal if we could have a major turnaround and start putting on positive performance and getting good results.

My hope continues to dwindle… I would love to be proved wrong.

I don’t like losing and seeing the players perform badly but something needs to change, otherwise the decline continues…

I agree tactics and performances have been a joke. I think if we beat West Ham on Sunday then it kills the Gerrard out campaign and puts the new manager of aston villa thread silent for months. If we lose to West Ham it will get louder. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I suspect West Ham is a Lose Lose for Gerrard on here. We win, and it will be: Hammers are bottom of the league on zero points it is the least we should expect. We lose, and it is Hammers were bottom of the league on zero points and clueless Gerrard loses to them.

We win and it'll be 3 wins out of 4 in all comps, and onto Arsenal.

Personally I'm more concerned with the performance. If we batter West Ham and lose (like we did in 2021), it'd be as good as a win for me. We haven't had a good performance yet.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Thought that about last night but not Sunday. Surely a win against West Ham given their last two seasons is a good result, irrespective of how they’ve started the season?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We win and it'll be 3 wins out of 4 in all comps, and onto Arsenal.

Personally I'm more concerned with the performance. If we batter West Ham and lose (like we did in 2021), it'd be as good as a win for me. We haven't had a good performance yet.

It would be 3 wins from 5 if we beat Hammers but I get your point. We are all desperate for a good performance 

• Like 1