Pre-match thread

Wainy316

We’ll win this tomorrow. We’ll score a few goals and keep a clean sheet. We’ll end the day in the top half of the table and VT will spend the evening blaming Gerrard for the congestion encountered on the way home! Enjoy Villans. UTV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if we lose tomorrow, the club will start the workings on replacing him unless he pulls out a miracle against Arsenal or Man City.

I don't think we'd replace him before those games as in many ways, it's better to let the outgoing manager take the flak and give the new man a chance at a decent start.

If we lose tomorrow it's hard to see us not having three points from six games to start a season that was full of high hopes.

it's an enormous game.

Even a draw dosen't feel enough really, 4 points from 6 is what we had during 15/16 and we'd likely be bottom 3.

Agree with the principle of giving Gerrard the next three games regardless.

Manager after that would have Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, Forest, Fulham, Brentford all before world cup so a few winnable games there.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We’ll win this tomorrow. We’ll score a few goals and keep a clean sheet. We’ll end the day in the top half of the table and VT will spend the evening blaming Gerrard for the congestion encountered on the way home! Enjoy Villans. UTV.

Believe me I think majority wouldn't have an issue. Way we've played so far though dosen't give an indication it will happen anytime soon e.g. us beating a top 8 team comfortably.

We've got Arsenal and Man City next.

West Ham have got Spurs and Chelsea.

They've got zero points from three games.

This is a death match for the two managers - lose this one and you're unlikely to be in work come mid September.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We've got Arsenal and Man City next.

West Ham have got Spurs and Chelsea.

They've got zero points from three games.

This is a death match for the two managers - lose this one and you're unlikely to be in work come mid September.

Moyes has credit in the bank and they’re still in Europe, his position is safe. He’ll still be desperate to win.

9 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Taking a different perspective: if their tactic is bullying it hasn’t really worked lately. Since Christmas their PPG is as bad as ours. So it’s definitely not impossible to deal with them just because they’re big. Other teams, more tactically drilled, have won against them easily.

Yes. But they didn't have the squad then and they were knackered from Xmas onwards 

I think we will win this game fairly comfortably, maybe by four or five goals, perhaps won't be by that many, 🤔 it wouldn't surprise me, but either way I think we will win for sure.

16 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Moyes has credit in the bank and they’re still in Europe, his position is safe. He’ll still be desperate to win.

I think any manager with zero points after six games is going to struggle to keep their job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think we will win this game fairly comfortably, maybe by four or five goals, perhaps won't be by that many, 🤔 it wouldn't surprise me, but either way I think we will win for sure.

Your optimism is to be applauded.  First home game for me this season.  Not confident at all but CMON villa.  Please...

11 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wish we went for the profile of player West Ham do. The size of their squad is huge, who’ve they signed this season? Kehrer, Paqueta, Scamacca- all big 6footers. Now going for 6”5 Hans Vanaken. Its a clear tactic to have units to bully teams and it works in the Prem. How we havent addressed this in 3/4 years is limiting us in these sort of games. Its often a game of margins, set pieces, all those old clichés; and its true. We have watched West Ham beat us consistently the last couple of years- even that game we absolutely dominated them we ended up losing because we couldnt finish our dinner and they lump 2 balls into the box for 2 headers.

Wow, for the last 50 years I’ve sat and watched the development of  the game, tactics, fitness, medicine , nutrition etc and now it’s all back to what it was in the 60’s and 70’s a big ‘un will always out do a small ‘un. All teams have bigger players but at the moment West Ham are bottom of the league with no points and no goals scored , I’m not sure it’s working for them at the moment.