Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Pretty fortunate to be level, cheers VAR.

Midfield is our biggest issue again, we can’t link the play so end up trying Hollywood balls over the top with a success rate of about 20% at best.

I’d consider changing Bailey or Buendia for Luiz, try and shore up the middle of the pitch a bit 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Again, I watch us and just don't see what's suddenly going to click and turn us into a top half consistent side. 

I think we've had some moments but fortunate to not be losing. 

I don’t think we have the players to be a consistent top half side - we’re three (or with Carlos missing four) short of where we need to be

Need CB, Mid and Striker needed

SG not impressing but I don’t think anyone will bring us top half with current squad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Playing JJ and Mcginn in that midfileld with 3 strikers is killing us. One needs to come off for Luiz to give us a foothold in midfield.

Id take off JJ personally

Luiz isn't a hard man with running power...or something 

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Or give away a foul.

He was soooo good in the Championship, but he's just not at the level we need. He's not scored for 9 months either.

The reality is we got relegated during the wrong season. The money in the premier league meant every club had riches like never before and could compete with the stronger clubs in Europe.

This has meant the standards in the premier league went up incredibly as you know. but the biggest difference was in physicality in terms of speed and strength. 

Mcginn and a few others lack the all round game needed to be a top 10 player in the premier league. He’s done well but it’s games like today that he gets exposed which happen quite often. I think he should either play as a 10 or not at all. 

• Like 1

Palace are a good, technical, pacey, side only lacking a clinical finisher, lovely to watch.

We have some ability, as evidenced by the goal, but our 'evolution' is a million miles off theirs.

Europe still appears to be a totally unrealistic ambition. Overrun in midfield, again.

Buendia excellent. Kamara excellent. Konsa shite, McGinn out of his depth, Martinez disappointing for the goal.

Lets hope it is a game of two halves because currently expecting another defeat.

• Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

Palace know that if our centre backs have the ball they only want to pass to the full backs. If they cut that pass off we will just aimlessly thump it and they will pick up possession with there centre backs. 

The only positive is Cash looks likely to create a few chances and Zaha is a moron who could easily pick up a second yellow! 

We started struggling when they turned up the pressing I think. 

and our miss give the balls away in really bad places. All of them tbf.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Lucky to be 1-1. Palace have bossed the midfield, Mings and Konsa all over the place.  Expecting a better second half. 

I’d argue Mings has been our best player bar some daft turn in his own area at the end of the half. He has a below par Konsa alongside him, Kamara in front of him and the rest of them all bomb on.

Our shape, especially in midfield, is a total embarrassment. 

We pretty much play a 2-1-6-1 formation. 

1 minute ago, daft said:

My point is our woes are bigger that Buendi vs Couts. These guys are two obviously talented and good footballers, and should be the most creative and smart in the squad. 

Something is broken here, and yes, it could well be Gerrard and his system. 

these boys should be able to perform better.

That wasn’t your point at all though.

Your statement was that Buendia is shit.

You didn’t say ‘swapping Coutinho with Buendia didn’t fix anything’

Unpopular opinion maybe. Ramsey’s footballing skills been stunted and or underdeveloped ( maybe not just good enough ) His party piece is gets the ball, head down, dribbles as far as he can before he gets the ball taken off him. 

Gotta be honwst we havent dezerved anything. We look soft and weak yet again.

Honestly can they not see what the problem is?? Our teams so small teams wlak through that midfield.

Get some **** muscle in the bloody team. Sign a big **** that can help in middle.  

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

We're appallingly badly managed and coached.

This was never going to be an easy game, Palace have talent. But we're playing below ourselves and doing absolutely nothing. Which falls to the manager. Sack him.

Completely agree. This type of performance, which is the norm now, is entirely on the manager, his shambolic setup and favouritism of players who just aren’t at it.

Does he understand this is down to his formation and his midfield.

His captain.

His lack of balance.

I don't think he does. He can't. Because he wouldn't have named McGinn captain.

We're in trouble this season.

Three worst teams I've seen are Bournemouth, us and Everton.

• Like 2