Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/22 at 22:59

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was at the game and can't recall anything that needed VAR'ing - what was it?

Looked like a potential pen literally last kick of the game. Might have been nothing but there was some brief appealing and no replay. Got the impression blowing at that point was a “**** it I’m not dealing with it” move from the ref. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Looked like a potential pen literally last kick of the game. Might have been nothing but there was some brief appealing and no replay. Got the impression blowing at that point was a “**** it I’m not dealing with it” move from the ref. 

To us or them?

I missed that completely :)

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Nope. Better than last week doesn't make it good IMO.

Average is good as that got. Good job Coutinho got cramp so Gerrard could correct his selection error and get Buendia on.

Everton were horrendous and could have nicked a point. They had about 4 decent chances despite barely competing in the game.

If we play to that level at Palace, we get 0 points. Hopefully we continue to improve.

has coutinho ever played 90 mins for us? genuine question, because gerrard seems to make that change every week (including around the same time last week). think it's harsh to say gerrard only made the change cause he was forced to

today was like a 7 out of 10 IMO...so better than just average i'd say. better teams would've beaten us, but was good enough to beat everton (and would've comfortably won last week too)

the only reason it didn't look great was because of the shit goal we conceded that made for a nervy finale

i was apoplectic about SG last week...i've still not gotten over it in truth. but today is at least a step forward

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Can we just enjoy the win. It wasn't pretty or convincing but **** it, it could have been a lot worse. Equally, it could have been a lot better. Everton had more clear cut chances than us imo. We weren't really creating much in the first half. That was 135 minutes in a row of struggling to break down 2 of the worst teams in the league. Makes me apprehensive about when we get to the West Hams and Arsenals of this world. But for now I'll be enjoying the 3 points in the bag 😎

For sure. We all wanted three points and Gerrard desperately needed them - it's up to him now to use it as a platform and hopefully take us on a little run, building confidence and cohesion. 

• Like 2

It is a long season. Even if he doesn't get a start next week (which I think he should) he will certainly get his chances sooner or later. 

Really good today. 

sorry, wrong thread. I am talking about Buendía.

Edited by daft
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I didn't think Kamara was the best. Certainly good, but thought he made quite a few misplaced passes and had a couple of poor touches. Maybe to be expected when absolutely everything went through him though.

Cash MoTM for me. Some crucial blocks, interceptions, and tackles. Absolute perfection, felt like he was covering the whole back line as well as the wings.

Honorable mention for Buendia who moved more than everyone else combined during his too short time on the pitch. Deserved his goal and if he doesn't start the next game I give up on Gerrard's sense of judgement.

Mings and Carlos both looked good, a much better partnership than either with konsa. Caveat with the fact Everton were largely rubbish and I managed to miss their goal and no idea of either were to blame. 

Digne had a bit of a mare for me. McGinn also largely ineffective and wasteful, with the odd good moment. 

Ramsey started our brightest spark, then disappeared for the middle 45, before a strong finish.

Ings and Watkins, despite scoring and getting assists, don't fill me with confidence at all against better opposition, but hopefully  they'll both get some confidence from this game and push on from here. 

Not a fan of the 2 up top formation, still don't want McGinn and Ramsey playing together, and still plenty of questions about Gerrard, but he's bought himself some time,  and hopefully he will see how exposed that team would be against even a slightly better side.  And a wins a win. Up the villa.

I haven’t done much research to back this up but my perception is that Buendia has been most effective when he comes on as a sub. He perhaps hasn’t been as influential when he starts.

Having said that, I think he earned a start next game. Particularly if Phil has an injury. 

We - and he - may need to get used to him being best as a super sub though. It’s what a squad football is all about.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

To us or them?

I missed that completely :)

To us. Probably nothing. I’m just very **** bitter after that half time pen at Arsenal as it was my first game in years and was in the Arsenal end with an Arsenal fan…

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Big win. Much needed for us given the shambles of last week but also the off field attention that we’ve dean towards Gerrard. We had most of the ball and Everton played to counter. I felt before the game we’d struggle to break them as were much better when the game is open and stretched and we lack the craft to carve open clear opportunities when teams are behind the ball. That’s why having the predatory instincts of Ings is vital as he wanted that finish so much. Great ball from McGinn to Watkins and nicely played to Danny. 

I always we needed to score first too so feared the worst when it looked like Everton had taken the lead in the first half. Got away with that. Close one and I’d fear the worse if we went behind. We looked shaky from set pieces all game. Every corner felt like panic stations but we got through it.

Boo Boo showed his class all game. Composed throughout, has a great knack of winning the ball back and very comfortable on the ball. Reminded me of Gareth Barry for us. Really good signing. 

Game opened up second half which suited us. There were a few nervy moments but we stood up well enough to those. Coutinho was, once again, largely ineffective. Ramsay improved second half too - I felt he lost the ball too much and too easily in the first half so it was good to see him back to driving forwards at players. He can really carry the ball well when he gets going. Ings and Watkins worked very hard up top pressuring their back line. Although you just knew Watkins wouldn’t take either of those very good chances he had in the second half. Buendia changed it for us. On the ball at all times, driving forwards and you could see the other players all step up their energy and interest with him playing. So pleased he scored as he richly deserves it. 

That should have been us home and hosed but we completely let our guard down and found ourselves on the back foot within seconds of the restart. Dreadful goal to concede and have a wounded Everton hope they could bag a draw. Expected the worst as thought they’d bag a scrappy equiliser which would’ve been horrendous for us. We should’ve made it three when Watkins was wasteful. Poor first touch, as he often does, made it hard for himself. But we dig deep and held on and meant I could keep my retro Villa shirt on to take my twin boys to soft play in East London and ended up seeing a young lad in full Villa kit in Haggerston park on my way back home which was a nice surprise. 

Overall I felt relieved wit the win. We just needed to get off the mark today and 0 pts from Brentford and Everton would represent a dire start and immediately add (more) pressure on us all. There’s still lots to improve on, and I’m not sure Gerrard knows who he wants to play or how he wants to play with this team. But we deserved  the win today I felt. A better team with more natural strikers could well have punished us heavily but we go there and that’s what mattered today. 

Hoping Critchley gets more of his stamp across the team in the coming weeks and we begin to stabilise and adopt a true game plan that we can carry out and be a threat against all opposition. 

Big big win today and great to be up and running. Hope we can take confidence into the next games. 

Nice balanced match report, cheers. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm just hoping Everton played a good game. If they are as poor as people say, we have a tough season ahead. 

The result on the Palace game will be key, as they seem about our level. 

I don't think they're all that dire, but they're another sports-washing site of a brand with blood on their owners' and erstwhile financial backer's hands. I feel bad for the locals, but there is so little to love about that club any more. Usmanov's been sanctioned for good reaons.

3 hours ago, Rigs said:

Personally I don’t think Digne is any better than Target. I think we wasted money on this transfer.

At the moment the jury is definitely out for me. Doesn't seem to be the player I was expecting.

• Like 4

Happy with the win. Our squad is way better then what we have seen in our two matches. We just need something, that could bring the best out of the team. Looking at the upcoming fixture list I can see a lot of pain and unhappiness coming our way if we don’t get that something pretty soon.

Â